MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
SmokinSlowPoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Modified ECB

Good Morning All,

I just wanted to share some pics of the ECB I received for Christmas with the mods inspired by this thread
(http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93517)

Basically I copied Hamilton's idea of using the lava rock pan to seal the fuel pan on the ECB and to create a way to control the flow of air to the unit. Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking!

Also please excuse the mess, this was assembled in the unfinished portion of the basement in our new home so i havent had time to set up a work-bench.

1. This is a picture of extra materials i bought for the project, on the left is the lava rock pan that is mentioned in the thread above. The smoker rests perfect on the lip of the pan and creates a some-what air-tight seal between the smokers fuelpan and the unit. The grate is a Weber 7439 Smokey Joe Charcoal grate that will be used to create a gap between the fuel and the ash:

photo 2.JPG
photo 5.jpg

This Photo shows the mods done up to this point. I created exhaust points in the lid for the smoke to vent and added an instant read thermo and a (hopefully) better temperature gauge to better monitor the process:

photo 1.jpg
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Next Came time to take the legs off of the ECB and mount them to the new Fuel-Pan stand. A pretty straight forward process, just use a paint marker and the legs as a template to drill your holes:

Brink2.jpg

The fuel pan that came with the ECB needed holes for the ash to fall through and a way for air to reach the fuel so I went to town, if you cant tell by now I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but i like to think i can get by

Brink3.jpg

The Battery on my drill died so i will go in tonight and finish the air vents on the side of the pan:

Brink4.jpg

So far here is my finished product. I still need to fabricate a damper for the air intake on the base pan and a support system to rest the charcoal grate. I plan on seasoning it this Saturday and taking it on a maiden smoke voyage sunday with some boneless pork shoulders and maybe a couple of sausages. prOn will be updated soon. Thanks for looking and for all of your wisdom, I spend alot of time here just lurking... its awesome. Might even have to enter a TD soon

Brink1.jpg

Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Nicely done! That should work great for you.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

YES! Fire that baby up and come join us in the Throw Downs!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Lookin good!