I’m a Believer In Baby Backs

Chett. L

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I really enjoyed myself today for the 1st. time using the Rec Tec pellet smoker making baby back ribs.

Here’s how it went down for this beginner.

Started out trimming all the unnecessary fat off both racks of ribs. I struggled removing the membrane on the back side of the ribs, I found that to be frustrating and next time need to do something else and learn how.
After cleaning up the ribs I used yellow mustard then season them using Sir Porkalot's Rib Rub just a very little R Butts R Smokin' Ozark Heat.

3 hours at 225. Spraying them with Apple juice every hour.
2 hours wrapped in foil.
Then put barbecue sauce and cook them for another 30 minutes, both rib racks rested for 15 minutes before eating.
Basically I cook the ribs for five hours at 225 for the rack that had no barbecue sauce and 5 1/2 hours for the rack with barbecue sauce.

The baby backs were definitely very tender, fall off the bone ribs. Eventually I’m going to cook them without the foil and do an (A) - (B) comparison the 2 different methods.

The wife found them to be too spicy. My son found them to be really great but perhaps maybe a little spicy. I too found them to be a little spicy, and next time I want to find a different rub all together.

Growing up my dad used to get these ribs in an area called Watts in Los Angeles at a place that is no longer around that was called Noonan‘s Ribs, these ribs had a heavy paprika flavor to them with no barbecue sauce however they weren’t the lease bit spicy at all. I would love to try and duplicate that flavor one day.

Again I thank everybody that has helped me in regards to suggestions on times and temps etc.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 443
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 442
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 444
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 441
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 440
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 438
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 440
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 440
Thanks for sharing they look great.

I've never found Ozark heat to be spicy once applied. I use it on most of my butts, and often on my cheezits. One of our favorites.

Chett, Those are some mighty fine looking Bones!!:thumb::thumb:
Finding that "right" rub to suit everyone's taste can be a challenge, so doing a couple of racks with different rubs can work. My go to has been "Kenny Bear Rub" and then just a bit of heat and sweet combined. Mild / Savory rub and one rack gets some "bite" the other just Savory and slightly sweet.
Looking forward to your future cooks now that the bug has bit!

If you like the paprika flavor, you might want to try meathead's memphis rub recipe. I don't know how much sweet you like but you can always adjust his recipe to suit your liking.

Hey Chett, looks like you found your way just fine. Those look mighty tasty

Good looking ribs! It’s easy to remove the membrane by sliding the tip of a butter knife under an edge on a bone near the thin end of the rack. Once you get it pulled up a little you ca usually slide your finger under it or hold it between the knife and your thumb to pull most of the membrane off. Otherwise you can leave it on and score it all over with a sharp knife.

Nice ribs chett!

Good looking ribs. Great first run.

As Biloxi said, slip a butter knife under the membrane and pull. Once you have a corner pulled up I like to use catfish skinning pliers to finish.

Back