MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #16
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George

I could not get packers here until I recently joined Sam's Club. They carry both flat and whole in Prime. I was there yesterday and they had tow monster packers but they looked very heavy on the fat side so I passed.
But to get back to the issue at hand, I like the flat as much as I recently like the point and do nothing different in case of either so far as the cook goes.
halfcocked is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

People in TN have no clue what good brisket looks or taste like. Just serve them whatever is cheapest.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #18
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
One issue is the cost difference. Flats are much more per lb than Packers, often even twice the price. I haven't trimmed a packer out and done the calculations to figure out what the better buy is on a per lb basis of actual meat.
Whole packer is better but not as extreme as the sticker may indicate.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #19
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Question What do you inject with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I smoke flats all the time. I inject 2 - 3 days before, smoke at 250Deg until stall, then wrap until probe tender about 198-202deg. Throw in a cooler for couple of hours. Always Always comes out tender and juicy never dry. Everybody says its the best meat they've ever tasted every time I smoke it.

When smoking a flat I think the injection is an important step to keep it moist and get it to probe tender. JMO
What do you inject with?

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #20
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I might cook a flat by itself if I cut it from a whole packer I bought. I never buy trimmed flats from the store though, they're always double the price of a packer which you can basically get for the same price as the flat. Yes you lose some weight due to trimming but it's like $35 for a flat vs $43 for the whole packer.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #21
Quint
Full Fledged Farker

For the beef injection and marinade:
· 1 quart water
· 3 tablespoons beef base (preferably Minor's brand) or beef bouillon powder
· 3 tablespoons au jus concentrate (preferably Minor's brand) or one 15-ounce can strong beef broth

In a large stockpot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the beef base and the beef au jus to the water, and stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat. If reserving for a later use, let the liquid cool then pour it into a jug or bottle. This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Inject brisket until saturated.

WSM 22"
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Genesis E-330
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #22
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Tis a good injection ^^^ the one I most commonly use when I do inject brisket. Definitely go for the Minor's products though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #23
Dread Pirate Roberts
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

The Vons by my house sells Choice points and flats, so I usually just get a point from there. A Costco packer is way too much food, as I'm the only one eating the meat unless I have a get together. The points from Von's are usually around 3-3.5 lbs, so that works out great. Just did one Sunday to throw in my pinto beans and that's my lunch for the week. They only real issue is that they are thin at the end so that gets pretty crunchy.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote