Cold Weather Smoking?

cireksu

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to fire up some chicken and ribs this weekend. The forcast will be 40's and 50's. I've never smoked meat in this cool of weather before always been 70's or higher. Do I need to do anything different? I have a Royal Oak Offset smoker.

Any suggestions? do anything different?

I'm worried about heat loss.

Build a hotter fire!!!!
I smoke when it's 25 below here in MN. No big deal!!

I go out of my way to cook whenever the forecast is calling for the coldest day of the year. It can definitely be done.

Possible snow for us this weekend. I found I used a lot more charcoal and tried to be super fast when I did have to open up the smoker.
I used propane this past weekend is was about 55 out and the fatties were good.

Build a bigger fire:

DSCF0030.jpg

Tuck her in with a blanket:

DSCF1186.jpg

Didn't think about the blanket, very good idea.

When the weather is 80's 90's I have my smoker timed pretty perfectly. Just didn't want a 6 hour smoke to turn into 9 or 10 because I was losing too much heat.

I'll buy a fresh bag of lump in case.

Thanks for the suggestions.

When considering a blanket... a natural wool blanket is preferred. Been trying to locate a winter horse blanket... synthetics do mellt.

synthetics do mellt.

Yes, yes they do:shock: The one in the pic is synthetic and got the fire a little hot one time and melted a little bit. It's what I had in the basment and I'm to cheap to buy a welding blanket.:wink:

cireksu:

I smoke all winter long without any exterior insulation. However, my equipment is sheilded from the wind. Just bveing cold doesn't matter much. Maybe I'll use a few more chunks during the course of a smoke but insulating with a flammable blanket is asking for big trouble.

I had never smoked in cooler weather either... till our first comp......... then it hit 36*! it added about 60 mins to my cooks for brisket and pork but i have very dif equipment (UDS)

Don't even bother trying. It can't be done! :wink:

2009NewYearsEve03.jpg

Well of course it can. You just will need a little more fuel and a little hotter burn.

DSC01171aa.jpg

I allow a little more time, and some things are easier to smoke in the winter. :biggrin:
DSC01185a.jpg

For your cooker you might want to rig up a wind barrier (even some plywood will help) and consider a blanket on the firebox. If you are burning a lot of wood, pre warm it.​

yeah im in ohio and its cold most of the year and it has never nor will it ever stop me from eatin good Q!!!

Back