• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

9lb pork loin going on the drum

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a 9lb pork loin currently sitting in brine. I used Smokin Okie's brine of:
1 Gal water
1/2 C. Kosher salt
1/2 C. White Sugar
Onion
2 Bay leafs (he calls for 3)

Anyway, I cut my loin in half so I could try a couple things with it. Some of my readings here say, remove at 140* and tent. Other's say to wrap at 160* and take it to 190*, so I thought I'd try it both ways.

QUESTION #1: If I want this for lunch tomorrow, 12:00PM, when should this go on my UDS? I plan to cook 225-250*, maybe even closer to 250 with my iq110.

Question #2: Does it matter which end I cook each way? Fat end vs. tapered end?

With the 140* loin you should have nice tender sliced pork, I would think wrapping it and taking it to 190* will leave you with either dry pork or something resembling pullled pork.

I had my wife's uncle bring me some "pork" to smoke for pulled pork. Turns out it was those pre-marinated pork loins. So I did, and it did fall apart eventually, and it definitely wasn't the best pulled pork I've ever had.

#1. I'd cook them both to 140* (because that's what I prefer) and I would also cook it hotter around 275* and hope for 2 hrs.

#2. If you decide to do one each way, for me I would cook the one fat end to 140* because I could keep the doneness more uniform.

Sorry if that's not super helpful, hopefully someone with more experience cooking loin to 190* will come along shortly. Who knows, it may be awesome and I just farked it up. Good luck either way. :thumb:

I put them on the smoker for 1 hour unwrapped to let the meat get some smoke. Then i foil and cook them at 275 degrees until they reach internal temp of 120. Then I take them off the smoker and put them over coals or gas grill and char the outside(reverse sear) until the internal temp reaches 140 degrees. I save the juices that were in the foil, set the loin back in the foil and pour the juices back over the loin and let it rest for 20 minutes.

I like a reverse sear on a pork loin. Remove from the sear when meat hits 140, and don't wrap tightly in foil for the rest period as it will overcook. just a light tent of foil for 15-30 minutes. The meat should be a perfect 145 and still super moist with a nice crust.

Save the cooking to 190 style deal for butts and picnics. Loins are too lean for that IMO.

Back