MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
HossBackyard
Found some matches.

Default Cherokee Pignic Cancelled- Other GA events this Fall?

I was really excited to enter the Cherokee Pignic as my first Comp based on many favorable reviews from participants. As I went to register this morning, I was disappointed to see it has been cancelled. I've got the bug and definitely want to do a comp this Fall in Georgia and wanted to see if people here had any recommendations. The ones I see on the calendar include the Atl BBQ Fest at Atlantic Station and the Swine and Dandy Fest in Duluth. Anyone have any experience with either of these? The info for Swine and Dandy on their website seems to be short on a lot of details.
HossBackyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was bummed as well to see the Cherokee Pignic event canceled since I wanted to compete there as well. We started competing last year and we kept our schedule relatively small and didn't compete there, but it was my first KCBS judging experience and it was really fun and the event looked to be top notch.

That being said............I did Swine and Dandy last year and it was a great event. Stewart Cink and his wife Lisa along with all the contest organizers/volunteers put on an awesome first year event. Didn't seem like their first time to me. We were well taken care of and the location was nice. Good hookups for water/electric. The fajita dinner on Friday was pretty sweet . The organizers/volunteers always seemed around checking to see if we needed anything. We've signed up already for this year. Hope to see ya there. I definitely say give this one a whirl.

I didn't do Atlantic Station last year, but am signed up for this year. Heard it was a good event from others. Not much else I know there.

The National BBQ Cup is in November in Cumming and was another great event we are doing again. There is also the Hillbilly Hog Throwdown in Cleveland at the end of Oct. Didn't do that one, but another to choose from. Hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

If you would like to get your feet wet before jumping into a full blown contest..we would love to have you compete at The Whole Hawg Happenin' on Sunday, Sept. 30th at the Marietta square.

This is a contest for just chicken and ribs and only $150 to enter with $1,000 going to the grand champ.

It's not a KCBS sanctioned event this year but will be in 2013. We will follow KCBS rules and scoring.

Since Noah (the other organizer) and I are judges and compete we will try a few different things this year. Like REQUIRING judges to give comments cards on a score of 6 and below. Also, you will see the actual scores the other teams got for each meat.

All of the details are on the website http://www.wholehawgbbqfest.com

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
HolySmokersBBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Check out the GBA. Starting Sept. 8-9 we have a run of 7 contest scheduled through the end of October! Just another option. Check out www.bbqga.org or PM me for more info!

Daniel - HOLY SMOKERS BBQ
HolySmokersBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
TwoTon
Found some matches.

Calhoun, GA
Smokin Up the Campground Nov. 30-Dec. 1