MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default MBN question

I never thought I'd have to ask a question about competing in an MBN constest. This is my first year competing and was going to do strictly KCBS, but someone approached me about about cooking in the Praise the Lard dual sanctioned event. The catch was that they wanted me to cook in MBN and KCBS that weekend, they are paying for the entry fees and meat, so it was hard for me to say no. The question I have is that as of right now we are signed up for both shoulder and ribs on the MBN side, what are they looking for in each one, on-site and blind box. I'm pretty sure I'll cook at least two racks for the box, 1 for each of three judges and start another 2 just in case and about the same for shoulder if I decide to go ahead with it. One issue I have is right now I'm only cooking on 2 WSM's and an UDS, I may end up with an Ole' Hickory Legend to cook with as well, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. I'm trying to get a feel for what I should expect and I have a month to figure this all out.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

where is this contest located?
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

You might want to look here:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22881

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Muphysboro, IL Sept. 22-24, Like I said, I just wanted to do KCBS, but they insisted on doing both. I normally compete alone, and have someone show up to build my boxed and turn them in. That's gonna be another change because there will be about 5 people there 'helping'.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbBBQ View Post
I never thought I'd have to ask a question about competing in an MBN constest. This is my first year competing and was going to do strictly KCBS, but someone approached me about about cooking in the Praise the Lard dual sanctioned event. The catch was that they wanted me to cook in MBN and KCBS that weekend, they are paying for the entry fees and meat, so it was hard for me to say no. The question I have is that as of right now we are signed up for both shoulder and ribs on the MBN side, what are they looking for in each one, on-site and blind box. I'm pretty sure I'll cook at least two racks for the box, 1 for each of three judges and start another 2 just in case and about the same for shoulder if I decide to go ahead with it. One issue I have is right now I'm only cooking on 2 WSM's and an UDS, I may end up with an Ole' Hickory Legend to cook with as well, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. I'm trying to get a feel for what I should expect and I have a month to figure this all out.

Its a dog and pony show. Use your absolute best for the Blind Box. You can B.S. the judge to a degree on the onsite visit. check out you tube for presentation videos... Red hot smokers has one up so do a few others...

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->