MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Actually, mutton was first cooked in Kentucky by Virginians. Two Virginia families moved west to Kentucky and cooked a mutton served with peach syrup in 1805. They were the families of Abraham Lincoln's parents. BBQ mutton was the meat served at Abraham Lincoln's parent's wedding. Until 1792, Kentucky was actually Kentucky County, VA.

From the old book
The Life of Abraham Lincoln:

Drawn from Original Sources and Containing Many Speeches, Letters and Telegrams

How exactly does this article prove that this was the first time ever that mutton, or "sheep", was cooked in what is now known as Kentucky?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

It proves that it's the oldest first hand account of it happening in an affidavit.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
It proves that it's the oldest first hand account of it happening in an affidavit.
Uh the scots and welsh settled into KY long before 1805. I assure you sheep and whiskey were integral parts of the landscape by then.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

I will have to say that this episode was my least favorite this year.. Dont think im a huge mutton fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
Bludawg

Something I haven't heard mentioned yet. K.I.S.S. stole the show! NO RUB, NO INJECTIONS just Heat & Meat with a simple sauce. Even Mr 200 step process Mixon was impressed. Makes me wonder what if all competitors on the various circuits developed that same attitude toward turn ins.......?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
BobM
Babbling Farker

I've never done mutton, but my wife and I love lamb. The last lamb ribs I made were really good. My wife says she likes them better than baby back/spare ribs.

I see a smoked leg of lamb in my future.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
Uh the scots and welsh settled into KY long before 1805. I assure you sheep and whiskey were integral parts of the landscape by then.
Was it Kentucky that they settled in and please share the earlier reference to mutton BBQ in "Kentucky" than the 1805 one. Seriously, teach me.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Was it Kentucky that they settled in and please share the earlier reference to mutton BBQ in "Kentucky" than the 1805 one. Seriously, teach me.
Because if I don't have a quick reference historical mutton document handy it didn't happen? The culture is known for sheep. They were in the area long before 1805. No need to be a history professor to realize they ate sheep long before 1805.
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
Boshizzle

Well, I offered a reference and, apparently, it didn't happen.

Was Kentucky known as Kentucky county, VA until 1792? So, did the scots and welsh settle Kentucky or Virginia?

Did the wool tarif of 1816 (11 years after 1805) have anything to do with the popularity of mutton in Kentucky?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #25
RL Reeves Jr
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the history lesson Bo. Great score on that old passage.
RL Reeves Jr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Well, I offered a reference and, apparently, it didn't happen.

Was Kentucky known as Kentucky country, VA until 1792? So, did the scots and welsh settle Kentucky or Virginia?

Did the wool tarif of 1816 (11 years after 1805) have anything to do with the popularity of mutton in Kentucky?
Uh KY? I wouldn't say Kansas City is French BBQ because the geographical area was once part of the Louisiana Purchase. Perhaps you can find early reference to someone cooking a cow in Virginia and try and claim that for your state as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #27
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
Uh KY? I wouldn't say Kansas City is French BBQ because the geographical area was once part of the Louisiana Purchase. Perhaps you can find early reference to someone cooking a cow in Virginia and try and claim that for your state as well.
Well, at least I have a reference rather than a smart a** response.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #28
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Well, at least I have a reference rather than a smart a** response.
Your reference has a passage about the race for the whiskey bottle in it as well. Perhaps Bourbon actually comes from Virginia not KY since it was technically KY Co. at one time.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #29
Boshizzle

I think you are right!

Bourbon County, KY was formed on October 17, 1785 from sections of Fayette County, Virginia, and named after the French House of Bourbon, in gratitude for Louis XVI of France's assistance during the American Revolutionary War.

And, the creation of bourbon is credited by some historians to a Baptist minister, Reverend Elijah Craig. Reverend Craig allegedly began distilling the unique spirit dubbed bourbon but still known as corn whiskey, in the town of Royal Spring, Virginia (now known as Georgetown, Kentucky), in 1789.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #30
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I think you are right!

Bourbon County, KY was formed on October 17, 1785 from sections of Fayette County, Virginia, and named after the French House of Bourbon, in gratitude for Louis XVI of France's assistance during the American Revolutionary War.

And, the creation of bourbon is credited by some historians to a Baptist minister, Reverend Elijah Craig. Reverend Craig allegedly began distilling the unique spirit dubbed bourbon but still known as corn whiskey, in the town of Royal Spring, Virginia (now known as Georgetown, Kentucky), in 1789.
You should inform your tourism board. I think some reprinted literature is in order.