MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #2296
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Hey Norco the wd40 did the trick with the leftover glue in the lid rim. Let it sit about an hour then hit it with the toothbrush size wirebrush and a little steel wool, cleaned out with Tide solution, rinsed and done. Thank you very much. Somehow that should be added to How a Redneck would build a UDS thread.

Remember the Tide warm water deal. Cleans oil residue real well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la smoker View Post
Now let the comments start!!
Thanks, la smoker
Looks cool but bet you won't have enough exhaust. Adapt some fishtails on the Harley Drum using auto header adapters.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #2297
drez77
Found some matches.

I have got through about 50 pages of this thread. A lot of good information in here. I have a 30G barrel laying around. My question is, will this work OK for a UDS? I know it will be smaller and might need a water pan. My plan is to use this for a trial run before I find a 55g drum. Any thoughts?

Mike
drez77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #2298
jd-santaclarita
Got Wood.

Guys - I am looking for some details on the intake pipe nipples. How long should they be? 1" long close nipples? Do they need to be stainless? I am not sure what they have over at home deeps, but i doubt its stainless...

Since i am not welding, just to make sure i got this right....I can thread in the 3/4" pipe nipple and on the inside i can lock it down with a conduit nut and same on the outside? I doubt the threading of the ball valve will thread all the way down to the barrel.

Thanks all,
JD
jd-santaclarita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #2299
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez77 View Post
I have got through about 50 pages of this thread. A lot of good information in here. I have a 30G barrel laying around. My question is, will this work OK for a UDS? I know it will be smaller and might need a water pan. My plan is to use this for a trial run before I find a 55g drum. Any thoughts?

Mike
I think DR.Ky made his first from a 30Gal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-santaclarita View Post
Guys - I am looking for some details on the intake pipe nipples. How long should they be? 1" long close nipples? Do they need to be stainless? I am not sure what they have over at home deeps, but i doubt its stainless...

Since i am not welding, just to make sure i got this right....I can thread in the 3/4" pipe nipple and on the inside i can lock it down with a conduit nut and same on the outside? I doubt the threading of the ball valve will thread all the way down to the barrel.

Thanks all,
JD
1" length will do fine, Black Pipe nipples are what they're called and you can use a single conduit nut on the inside and it will work fine.....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #2300
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Thanks all,
JD
JD, I don't weld either and I use 3/4" close nipples. Get a 1 9/32" Shower Valve Socket Wrench from the plumbing department to tighten the conduit nuts.

I thread a conduit nut with the points facing out as far as it will go on the close nipple, then thread it through the drum from the inside and put another conduit nut on the outside with the points facing in so they grab the drum and the nut on the inside grabs the drum. Doing it this way the inside one did not move and was pulled towards the drum so I was able to do it by myself since it is rather hard to reach both conduit nuts by yourself.

I have also done this with my exhaust, using a 2"x4" black pipe with two conduit nuts.

The shower valve socket is the way to go for the 3/4" pipe, for the exhaust I use the same procedure, but since you can handle both sides of the lid pliers work just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SG102205.jpg (32.4 KB, 1454 views)
File Type: jpg SG102206.jpg (41.1 KB, 1458 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #2301
Norcoredneck

Quote:

Thanks all,
JD

Garth57 has one I pass it daily and many times smoke is a rollin! I started one and never finished.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #2302
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Garth57 has one I pass it daily and many times smoke is a rollin! I started one and never finished.
It just dont get any simpler than that... add in a thermometer and a ladder and you are set. The cool thing is you still got a complete Weber if you wanted to.

I am working on mine like that, its going to be a bit shorter and a little Cooler... of course

Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #2303
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Norco, dude why would you build a smoker that is 5 feet taller than you? Whaddayou gonna stand on to get your meat out of that? Big ladder?
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #2304
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwolf View Post
It just dont get any simpler than that... add in a thermometer and a ladder and you are set. The cool thing is you still got a complete Weber if you wanted to.

I am working on mine like that, its going to be a bit shorter and a little Cooler... of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Fin Smoker View Post
Norco, dude why would you build a smoker that is 5 feet taller than you? Whaddayou gonna stand on to get your meat out of that? Big ladder?

I guess you missed the important detail "I started one and never finished". Guess i need to learn the real deffinition of "Cool"

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #2305
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I know I am going to take a beating about these pictures,but here it goes. I know they are supposed to be ugly,OK so I got a little carried away. Though Im sure there are some football fans on here that think the LSU UDS is plenty ugly. I would like to thank everyone for all their post and help on the UDS. I have never smoked meat so easy and so good in my life. Now let the comments start!!
Thanks, la smoker
Very cool drums brother.

I'm afraid you are going to need more exhaust though and some sort of method to control the intakes, chrome or highly polish a brass a ball valve for each intake perhaps? You could use a chrome exhaust tip in the 2" bung on the lid then leave the other exhaust you have closed and call it a 'Knucklehead' UDS. Remember you need more out than in for the UDS to work properly.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #2306
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
I guess you missed the important detail "I started one and never finished". Guess i need to learn the real deffinition of "Cool"

HINT... legs are shortened and center support is scaled down...Do you remember my questions in my PM to you about sealing the drum to the kettle? It worked Slicker than Goose Grease...Pron to follow when completed and painted, hopefully this weekend

The main advantage to this is that you are using the whole weber instead of making another firepit out of the basin... as well as doing away with nipples and a ball valve... Oh Ya... its now self cleaning

Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #2307
la smoker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Very cool drums brother.

I'm afraid you are going to need more exhaust though and some sort of method to control the intakes, chrome or highly polish a brass a ball valve for each intake perhaps? You could use a chrome exhaust tip in the 2" bung on the lid then leave the other exhaust you have closed and call it a 'Knucklehead' UDS. Remember you need more out than in for the UDS to work properly.
Thanks for the tips, you cant see it but I have 1 3/4 ball valve on the back fitting. I have did 10 to 15 cooks she holds good at 225 for 10 to 12 hrs with one bottom plug out and about 1/2 on the ball valve. thanks again. la smoker
la smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #2308
Dr_KY

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, you cant see it but I have 1 3/4 ball valve on the back fitting. I have did 10 to 15 cooks she holds good at 225 for 10 to 12 hrs with one bottom plug out and about 1/2 on the ball valve. thanks again. la smoker
Cool, lets see some of the dead animal that comes off of them.
\
Are your reading 225 on those gauges you have installed? What are you using lump or charcoal?

We love to see seasoned smokers and food pron.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #2309
la smoker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Cool, lets see some of the dead animal that comes off of them.
\
Are your reading 225 on those gauges you have installed? What are you using lump or charcoal?

We love to see seasoned smokers and food pron.
200 on guage on smoker 225 to 230 on digital inside middle of smoker using charcoal starting a few coals in middle with flame thrower. thanks
la smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #2310
Dr_KY

Excellent!!

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker