UDS Question (yes, I'm reading "The Thread"

sigpi906

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm currently 10 pages into "THE" UDS thread. I'm wondering if you guys have any pages bookmarked where there is a particular concentration of knowledge/info. I'm thinking I'm not going to make it through all 500 pages...

I'm particularly interested in build tutorials that are well put together

Well I just booked marked this thread, thanks guys!!

AWESOME! Exactly what I was hoping for. Now I've just got to find one if these dang barrels.
I'm getting some more from a guy that works at a place that sandblasts things. The sand they get comes in unlined drums that they throw away like Kleenex. A lot better than my drum that had honey stored in it and I had the dreaded liner to deal with. I had mine sandblasted.

Am newbie, but have been lurking for a long time.

Read the entire UDS thread and built a small version, with son's help and have one question which was not really answered.

Heat rises...why not have thermometer in lid and factor in temp diff, instead of down by grille surface? Besides, with this narrow grille, wouldn't a lid version preclude problems when removing basket/cage and lower grilles?

I used 22-inch wide SS salad bowl for the top to gain height, with drafted chimney in center and tried to add pic to give ideal.

BTW, for those interested, I acquired the bowl on line from Instawares.com Amazing fast service.

Due to crappola weather here, have yet to fire it up or remove interior anti rust.

Attachments

• Squatchin 2.jpg
    Squatchin 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 162
The grate is where the meat is.

Grates run at a different temperature than the lid by a significant number of degrees depending on how a smoker is designed.

Am newbie, but have been lurking for a long time.

Read the entire UDS thread and built a small version, with son's help and have one question which was not really answered.

Heat rises...why not have thermometer in lid and factor in temp diff, instead of down by grille surface? Besides, with this narrow grille, wouldn't a lid version preclude problems when removing basket/cage and lower grilles?

I used 22-inch wide SS salad bowl for the top to gain height, with drafted chimney in center and tried to add pic to give ideal.

BTW, for those interested, I acquired the bowl on line from Instawares.com Amazing fast service.

Due to crappola weather here, have yet to fire it up or remove interior anti rust.

I'm kinda liking the bowl :).....I suppose you could put a bung in the lid to allow sliding a thermo in that still had it's tip at grate level. It can be a fumble fark pulling thermo's to move grates if you forget til you open the lid :).

Is this the bowl you used ?? It says 19" ?? EDIT now I see you said 22" ;-)

http://www.instawares.com/20-qt-stainless.vol-47949.0.7.htm

I'm kinda liking the bowl :).....I suppose you could put a bung in the lid to allow sliding a thermo in that still had it's tip at grate level. It can be a fumble fark pulling thermo's to move grates if you forget til you open the lid :).

Is this the bowl you used ?? It says 19" ?? EDIT now I see you said 22" ;-)

http://www.instawares.com/20-qt-stainless.vol-47949.0.7.htm

Here's another well documented build by a brother who used a real nice stainless steel lid for his:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69650

Savage, Hesmells and Will,

I think it is 19" diameter, 20-22 quarts and heavy SS. Was 15 $coots.

Yes the link is the bowl...the biggest one they had. I knew it had to extend from edges...which may mean grease migration and drips, not sure. I wanted added height, and decided against adding iron or alum ring for Weber top--now have whole Weber to sell...

As to temp at grille "where meat is" I understand, but figured to simply factor in the diff by moving the prime temp spot to TDC on dial, to limit basket problems.

But, maybe in side is better, using lamp pipe to close when removed, to remove during winter storage here...gets cold...

BUT, remember I have a smaller 30 gal drum, with 19 inch top

AND, that SS is a PIA to open with hole saw.

And may be grease drips issues later...not sure...

Also, you will have to drill at least 4 5/16 holes for rain and three size 10 bolts at angle or where screws, double nutted, will contact barrel to keep lid on in wind...or sliding off.

I bought bowl and now am honestly thinking a wide soft iron ring bolted to inside of top would have been easier and as effective, with mid-sized Weber lid.

Just my thoughts.

That vendor has the best service I have seen to date...from any on-line source. Moreover, one item was cancelled and they notified me immediately. Great source for kitchen stuff.

I noticed that site had a 30qt bowl. diam was 22.38 inches and around $30

I noticed that site had a 30qt bowl. diam was 22.38 inches and around $30

You know, I think that is the one I bought...it really hangs low over barrel.

I went looking for receipt and cannot locate...but bet you are correct. Duh! on me...and it might just fit the standard large drums too?

Good heads-up, Haven. Sorry I mis-wrote.

If you have a buddy with a lathe you can get him to drill a hole right down the middle of a hex head bolt for you to get a nicer fit on some thermo's than the lamp parts.

You might still be able to make a ring to fit inside the drum to guide the drips down into the drum ?? How to fasten it to the bowl....hmmmm. If you could find stainless strip, and a guy with a tig welder......:).

I have a smaller drum like that for a mini uds but am haunting CL for a the smaller weber for a lid.

Bill

I forgot to add. If you go with a salad bowl, you do not need hook inside the cover or lid to hang on rim like on the Webers, just add one extras ss bolt or screw to the ones that stabilize" the lid to the drum in wind etc...a couple inches one side or the other. I use the ss chimney my son got from someplace to move lid around.

If you have a buddy with a lathe you can get him to drill a hole right down the middle of a hex head bolt for you to get a nicer fit on some thermo's than the lamp parts.

You might still be able to make a ring to fit inside the drum to guide the drips down into the drum ?? How to fasten it to the bowl....hmmmm. If you could find stainless strip, and a guy with a tig welder......:).

I have a smaller drum like that for a mini uds but am haunting CL for a the smaller weber for a lid.

Bill

+1...Will, thanks. I figure I better see how bad it is first...

I was going to have a friend drill a hole in a bolt, but he said

I should find a nut that fits the screw (6 metric) part or just drill any larger ss one out and have someone spot weld the nut to the metal and screw the thermometer in when in use and fill with short bolt when not, if that makes sense.

Weber top makes sense to me. You have a college community nearby, hit that area shortly...for Weber stuff at reduced prices :]

+1...Will, thanks. I figure I better see how bad it is first...

I was going to have a friend drill a hole in a bolt, but he said

I should find a nut that fits the screw (6 metric) part or just drill any larger ss one out and have someone spot weld the nut to the metal and screw the thermometer in when in use and fill with short bolt when not, if that makes sense.

Weber top makes sense to me. You have a college community nearby, hit that area shortly...for Weber stuff at reduced prices :]

OK you have a threaded thermo, the ones I have were from the turkey fryer kits and they just have a smooth stem around 1/8" in dia, no threads.

I have not had major luck finding any weber deals on CL.

Back