MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Arrow BBQ Brethren "My California BBQ" Throwdown!

If you opened your own BBQ business in California, be it catering, streetside vending or a restaurant, you would need to serve some BBQ! This Throwdown is for you to showcase your signature dish (or dishes) that will make you rich and famous in California!

This is an OPEN CATEGORY. This means you are free to cook whatever you want so long as it adheres to the rules below. PLEASE READ THE RULES BELOW BEFORE YOU ENTER!

Here are the RULES! Please note that in addition to a photo of a dish, you MUST ALSO submit a menu entry for the dish, a description of your business, and the ultimate fate your business meets (success or failure with description, it is up to you to decide your future). These items will be posted along with the photos in the VOTE thread, and be subjected to judging. Please remember this is all in FUN!

1. Submitted dishes must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
2. You must submit a photo of the dish AND a menu entry for the dish which includes the name of the dish, the price, and a description to get the customers taste buds watering! This photo and menu description will be used in the VOTE thread and subjected to judging.
3. You must also enter a description of what kind of business you are opening in California (restaurant, catering, whatever) and briefly describe how you will operate it and wish for the customer to perceive it. This description will also be submitted with your entry in the VOTE thread and subjected to judging.
4. You must also provide a brief description of how your business was a success or a failure. This description will also be submitted with your entry in the VOTE thread and subjected to judging.
5. Submitted dishes must be cooked during between the time this thread is posted through February 28th at midnight California (Pacific US) time.
6. All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight California (Pacific US) Time on February 28th.
7. Since this is a SPECIAL Throwdown, you may submit multiple entries. Just like at a Brethren Bash, people will not be forced to share only one dish, but can share many dishes if they would like.
8. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
9. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
10. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
11. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
12. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
13. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
14. The only time a team entry will be accepted is when the team entry is made by Brethren at a Brethren Bash, and the team name must also be submitted with the entry. Otherwise only individual entries will be accepted.

And finally...anyone who is found to not be having fun and/or trying to detract from other people's fun in these Throwdowns will be moderated and tossed out of our little party until such a time as you are fun again.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.

Last edited by bigabyte; 01-27-2011 at 03:34 PM..
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Do we have to get a temporary permit and contact the HD, how many employee's, do we need a nsf approved smoker, a safe serve course, being from Canada do I need a visa, etc....big question---tofu not a requirement right...?

Just kidding, Bigabyte an interesting concept. Should be fun, if i can get some time I might just open up a Gastro-bbq Pub.
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
bigabyte

I have to give credit to BBQ Grail for suggesting California BBQ as a Throwdown special topic. With that thread going on, I figured this is a good way for everyone to have a good time either showcasing (or making fun of) California BBQ cuisine. One things for sure, making BBQ beats talking about BBQ every time! I just hope the twists I added are not going to be a problem. I thought it would add to the fun.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I forgot the price. $85, and $40 for the glass of
red wine.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 01-27-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
deguerre

Even though my dad grew up in Oakland and Redwood City, I must recuse myself as I have no intentions of opening a business in California or anywhere for that matter. Sorry guys. This dog ain't huntin'. Miss me yet?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
BBQ Grail

I'm going to be giving this a great deal of thought. Nothing has come to mind yet, except the name of my restaurant...

Boshizzles
California Cuisine With A Touch of Soul

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Even though my dad grew up in Oakland and Redwood City, I must recuse myself as I have no intentions of opening a business in California or anywhere for that matter. Sorry guys. This dog ain't huntin'. Miss me yet?

Deguerre, you don't have to actually open a business in California. You just have to pretend that you are.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Deguerre, you don't have to actually open a business in California. You just have to pretend that you are.
Yeah Guerry. You just need to use your....

(insert starfish joke here)

Duh.
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
landarc

Shouldn't it be submitted by 11pm, Feb 28th, Pacific time?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Shouldn't it be submitted by 11pm, Feb 28th, Pacific time?
Dang! That would only make sense. Except for the 11pm part...unless they don't have midnight in California.

Duh.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
BBQ Grail

I've been thinking more about this whole Throwdown.

Not only will my restaurant be called

Boshizzles
California Cuisine with a Touch of Soul

The restaurant will be on a train car that goes through the Napa Valley. So that will make it a SOUL TRAIN...

Maybe it will be powered by an old steam engine that burns Tarot Chips for fuel.

Email me for details.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
bigabyte

Time updated.

Duh.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Is it ok to complain as long as one is having fun while doing it?
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
Is it ok to complain as long as all are having fun while doing it?
I fixed that for you.

Duh.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
landarc

11pm PT = 12am CT is all I was thinking.

I happen to think Boshizzles would be a really good name for a BBQ place out here. People would love it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Arnold likes Q, Shark w/Sprouts n Guac, Tax and Spend BQ, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread