MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
love2q
Knows what a fatty is.

Default thanks for the inspiration

Decided i wanted to make a uds so i went and got my drum. went all will nilly and cut the lid off then decided i wanted a flat lid and didnt want to do all the burning and whire wheeling needed to clean an oil drum so i picked up a food grade drum with lid and band for 25 bucks .. it had pinaple in it... so in the morning i am going to start making mine.. i will take pics but i am giong to skip the mundain stuf like burning it out cleaning and so on.. there are 1000's of pics of that on here....

think i am gonna go with the military theme for mine to pay tribute to all my family members that have served out counrty....

will update later this weekend but now off to watch yukon men..
love2q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep us posted...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

so you had a nice drum with bare metal and you opted to get a food grade drum with an epoxy liner to save time and trouble?

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
so you had a nice drum with bare metal and you opted to get a food grade drum with an epoxy liner to save time and trouble?
Yup...

Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
love2q
Knows what a fatty is.

My first drum had motor oil in it.. How do i make sure its good to go..i can use either one i need a burn barel and one for my smoker i have made stuff out of wood but not alot with metal so i am learning here. Any thing im missing feel free to give advice on

Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Go figure!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
love2q
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok i get it use first drum take lid off new drum...thanks for the slightly sarcastic way of showing me the error of my thinking :)

Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Here is the thread indexed
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=35

Old 04-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Do you have a lid to fit the first drum, a Weber 22.5" kettle lid perhaps? If so I'd just clean it out real good and proceed from there. Much easier then removing an epoxy liner.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
love2q
Knows what a fatty is.

i have a dome lid but is from some other no name gril i was gonna use it but that is my grillin grill.. so i dont want to beat it up plus i like the look of the flat lids i want to put some chrome stacks on it.. beeing a trucker an all chrome stack are in the blood.. im thinking black, diamond plate, and stacks

Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2q View Post
i have a dome lid but is from some other no name gril i was gonna use it but that is my grillin grill.. so i dont want to beat it up plus i like the look of the flat lids i want to put some chrome stacks on it.. beeing a trucker an all chrome stack are in the blood.. im thinking black, diamond plate, and stacks
Sounds good to me, but you're going to have to spend some time removing that epoxy liner from the food grade drum. Now get busy

Old 04-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
love2q
Knows what a fatty is.

im gonna use the first drum i started out with i have done 2 burns in it already and ill do another good one after i get all the holes punched and what not... i am gonna take the lid from my food grade drum and put it on my other one.... i read somewhere on here e-z off would get the epoxy out if you spray it on and leave it in the sun for it to get hot

Old 04-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Sounds like you've got it all worked out, good luck with the build and keep us posted.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
love2q
Knows what a fatty is.

In the middle of my build got all the hardware on and going to test fit lid.food grade lid acts like its bigger than my oil drum..mabey just cause of the coating...not sure.. Doing my last burn now before i clean it up and paint it trying to burn the crap off the food grade lid as well

Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
love2q
Knows what a fatty is.

I should be painting in the am some time still have a fire going in it now.trying to burn the apoxy off the lid..that stuff is crazy fire proof....will post pics soon