MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default cherpumple...a tasty hot mess

Have you all ever seen this: http://www.charlesphoenix.com/2010/1...kitchen-video/?? This Phoenix guy is kind of a trip.

Apple, cherry and pumpkin pies, baked inside cakes, stacked on top of each other!!?? When I saw this I knew I had to try it! Then, along came the "baked" throwdown...

Sadly, time, work, weather and family stuff all got in the way of me posting this before the deadline. Those things, and the fact that this cake really did turn into one tasty hot mess!!

Gathered my ingredients

Went with pre-baked frozen pies (one apple, one cherry, one pumpkin)

Preheated the "oven"

Commenced to mixin' the cake batter

Braving those northwest elements. Nothing like standing in water, in the middle of a downpour, holding an electrical cord!?

Putting the pies in the cake pans was a bit of a challenge (had to buy some bigger 9" pans for these almost 9" pies).

Once everything was mixed, and pies were inside all cake pans they went into the "oven". Here's how they looked about halfway through the cooking time.

Followed cooking directions on the cake boxes...plus about 7 more minutes. Think I burned the cooking spray (next time it's Crisco and flour like grandma taught me). Here are the cakes on cooling racks after gently prying them from the pans.

Started stacking and frosting the cake. Had to get a little help from the frosting fairy...

And the finished product (you may notice a bit of a lean). One thing we learned; really need to let these cool completely. The pies inside the cakes really retained a lot of heat.

Our first, and only, slice...

You can see the collapse, the frosting sloughing off the sides, in the background...

So, we saved this slice, and threw the rest into a foil pan and ate this hot mess family-style...fighting each other for elbow room. Looks nasty, tasted great!!

Mrs FamilyMan sent me a message today about how much the squirrels loved the leftovers she put on the back porch for them. Half expected comatose rodents in the driveway when I came home.

I'm gonna do this again. Don't really think that I pulled this off to my satisfaction. I refused to be beaten by a cake...er, pie....er, whatever this was!?
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That looks like one tasty hot mess. Brilliant I say! It's a shame it didn't make it into the TD. I wouldn't mind having that for dessert on Thursday!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting idea there.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

WOW, talk about a sugar rush...... LOL
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, I definitely had not seen that before, very interesting. I got to give you props for giving it a go. I'll bet you nail it next time. Really cool idea.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Phubar

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I had never seen that particular video before, kinda entertaining, but I have seen the concept before, saw it on some cooking show. Had to have been Triple D, Man vs Food or one of those off the wall shows. I would think that you would want to bake the "picakes" the day before and really let them cool and set before assembly. Looks like a pretty tasty treat though! Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Save it for the next Farkin' Gooey Mess TD!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Bludawg

That looks amazing I would hurt my self with a slice. The video on the link is a Hoot, that boy is a little light in the loafers "oh look a Pink one!" I spewed coffee

Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Mklade
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

One of these win First Place Dessert at BBQ on the Bank of the Guadalupe IBCA Cook-Off in September.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Goddamn.....

Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

oh man oh man, wow

Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

That's why the squirrels in my backyard are looking so fat and slothy today!
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Big Mike's BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Sounds Like a great dessert to have after turdunkin!

Big Mike
Big Mike's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
I would think that you would want to bake the "picakes" the day before and really let them cool and set before assembly. Looks like a pretty tasty treat though! Thanks for sharing!
That is indeed our gameplan for next time...tonight maybe!? Still searching for a turkey day dessert (can't get my hands on whole cranberries for our usual cranberry/blueberry pie)!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote