Stickburners! I found a CHEAP way to start fires!

I have been using them for a while now. However, I usually use one with 8 or so briquettes around it, as a decent fire needs a coal bed and this is the quickest way I have found so far.

I have used them off and on for years for grilling but they do put off a chemical smell along with some black smoke when first lit. So I start them on the concrete with a bic lighter and then put the chimney over it. I also keep a couple in my emergency kit that i carry when riding my dirtbike in remote parts of the desert. I read somewhere that they will burn even when wet.

However I wouldn't use them in a stickburner due to fear of leaving a chemical residue on the walls of the cooking chamber. I'd stick with the weedburner for that...

However I wouldn't use them in a stickburner due to fear of leaving a chemical residue on the walls of the cooking chamber. I'd stick with the weedburner for that...

I love those little cubes. Light a chimney of charcoal on the old Weber, then put the lit coals into the stickburner firebox, then add sticks.

The outback has a surprisingly low number of stores, and so the inhabitants raised there are known for their innovative ways.
We used to use those old plastic film canisters, and fill them with thin ribbons of newspaper, parrafin and cotton wool.
Empty and slice into two rolls and store.
Those babies will get a hardwood fire going in a hurry.

We make homemade fire starter cubes with the boys in Cub Scouts our of cardboard egg cartons, wax and dryer lint. Pretty easy and even cheaper!

I have known this for years, but have never done. Obviously, three ingredients seems easy. I wonder how much lint can you pack in there, and what do you use for wax/how much to use? I guess I've had reasonable fiscal resources to just use paper in the chimney (super cheap), but that is not working with the Humphrey lump and cold weather.

I have known this for years, but have never done. Obviously, three ingredients seems easy. I wonder how much lint can you pack in there, and what do you use for wax/how much to use? I guess I've had reasonable fiscal resources to just use paper in the chimney (super cheap), but that is not working with the Humphrey lump and cold weather.

Here's a video showing how we do it. Pretty simple.
Homemade Fire Starter Tutorial - Video

I have made these for years, saw dust, parrifin wax, old ice trays. Usually use the cheap emergency candles "non scented". What ever kind of saw dust you have, except pine. Usually Pecan or Hickory, spray the ice cube tray with pam or somthing equivalent, place the saw dust into ice trays, heat candle wax until liquid "low heat", pour up until used up. I do 6 ice trays at a time.... extreamly cheap and clean...

For chimineys and camp fires use old left over candles from the house the scented variety. No sense in wasting what can save you some money..?

They work great for the UDS. Especially if you want to cook hot and fast but still want to start off low and slow for a better smoke ring. Just put one right in the center of your full basket, then light it and lay a couple pieces of charcoal over it. After it burns off just put the meat on, put on the lid, and open the vents all the way. Its such a small fire at first, but it will grow.

Is there any lighter fluid smell associated with them?

I don't think those have that in them...what I've heard from Dutch Brethren.
Most of us over here use pressed carton cubes...even cheaper then those Weber cubes.:thumb:

820220-magic-aanmaakblokjes.jpg

Back