MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
T-doh
On the road to being a farker

Default mini offset build.

I've been wanting to build a bigger smoker for awhile now, almost pulled the trigger on doin a uds but decided to take a different route, i scored a free old 100 pound propane tank, then found a tree stand and deer cart i won't use. So what the hey lets build a mini offset for my patio! I have no use for a large capacity smoker, even though i'd love one, i never cook for more than just family. My whole goal for this is to keepmy cost as low as possible and still get a nice, efficient, long buring smoker. i started today, got the door cut in the tank, my firebox welded up and mounted to the cook chamber, and my stand tacked on. thanks for looking feel free to give any advice!

Last edited by T-doh; 01-01-2014 at 08:13 PM..
T-doh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good so far. Im getting ready to build one about that same size myself. Keep us posted

Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice start. I hope you are going to add diagonal bracing to that stand.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
T-doh

Ill be adding more to the stand, gonna have some storage down there, surprisingly enough it's not too flimsy as it sits, just heavy as heck! My plan is to have it done by this coming weekend so I can do a couple butts on it for my daughters birthday party. Guess ill have a long week..

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like a good start, and that bung on the end is the perfect location for your smokestack exit, unless you're going reverse flow...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Very cool! A good use of scraps, Fred Sanford would be proud! LOL! Have you thought about adding a warmer box on top of the firebox? It would be a good use of the heat escaping off of the top, good for pre-heating your wood if nothing else! Good job!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
T-doh

Haven't had much time so far this week to work on it, too busy with work. Guess it won't be done by this weekend. Ill be putting the exhaust out of that bung. I did manage to get everything cut for my cooking grates, just need to weld them up. How important is a heat baffle? If I were to put one in how far should I take it? The full length of the cooking chamber? Thanks guys

Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
RatRod

I LIKE it !!!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-doh View Post
Haven't had much time so far this week to work on it, too busy with work. Guess it won't be done by this weekend. Ill be putting the exhaust out of that bung. I did manage to get everything cut for my cooking grates, just need to weld them up. How important is a heat baffle? If I were to put one in how far should I take it? The full length of the cooking chamber? Thanks guys
If you take your baffle the full length of the cook chamber you would basicaly be makin it a reverseflow therefore you would need to move your exhaust to the same end as the firebox. If you wanna keep it a standard offset you will need a short baffle over the firebox to cook chamber entrance than multiple plates across your cook chamber that you adjust to even out your temps and hot spots... Those would be called tuning plates if you do a search im sure you could find some more info on them

Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
smoke'n Frank
Got Wood.

Im so glad i found this thread. I found a 100# tank i can buy for 50 bucks. i may get it and do one of these just didnt know if it was big enough to make a smoker out of. Im staying posted for updates
smoke'n Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
T-doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnQ View Post
If you take your baffle the full length of the cook chamber you would basicaly be makin it a reverseflow therefore you would need to move your exhaust to the same end as the firebox. If you wanna keep it a standard offset you will need a short baffle over the firebox to cook chamber entrance than multiple plates across your cook chamber that you adjust to even out your temps and hot spots... Those would be called tuning plates if you do a search im sure you could find some more info on them
Thanks! That's kind of what I thought, are the heat baffles a must or could I still do alright without them?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
T-doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke'n Frank View Post
Im so glad i found this thread. I found a 100# tank i can buy for 50 bucks. i may get it and do one of these just didnt know if it was big enough to make a smoker out of. Im staying posted for updates
A 100 pound tank will make a decent little smoker, I'm gaining about twice the capacity as I had before, but that's still only holding about 8 full racks of ribs. It'll be perfect for me though since I just cook for family. I got pretty lucky and scored two free tanks. Hope you decide to build one!

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks! That's kind of what I thought, are the heat baffles a must or could I still do alright without them?
I think you could do alright without them. You may have some issues with uneven temps across the cook chamber but im sure you could work with it after you learn the pit some. Maybe someone ealse will tune in and can give you a more postive answer

Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

I can dig it! Looks great!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
tuning plates are cery simple to add later if you decide you need them

here are mine
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Last edited by ButtBurner; 12-24-2015 at 10:44 AM..
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote