Where are all the Comp folks?

This kind of comment baffles me.......not just here, but anytime I see it posted on other sites. And I’m not trying to be a dick. But I’m big message board kind of guy on several sites and lots of people do exactly what you say they do. Many threads do wind up being repeats of previous threads. But that never bothers me. And it is certainly not something that would cause me not to participate on a message board. Just skip the thread if you feel it is a retread. That seems like a reasonable solution to me. In addition, most sites have ****ty search features and many times folks have better luck just asking a new question and hoping they find folks willing to answer. For me, I love talking about comps and it bothers me not to try to help folks just getting started or wanting to upgrade. Imagine how daunting it would be to type in “comp trailers” into the search engine. It would take you days to sift through all of the posts about that subject and having no idea whether your specific question has been asked or answered in that sea of info. So I understand why newer members start a new thread and ask about their specific need. When I see the thread I either click on it or not, depending on my interest. But either way I don’t let it bother me.

As for shortcuts, I think us comp cooks at times send mixed messages. Lots of folks don’t feel comfortable sharing “trade secrets” online. And I get that. When you have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars in comp classes then it’s easy to have red ass when thinking someone wants you to share what you have learned for free. Especially online. However, at contests I have seen tons of folks share everything they know after hanging out a bit and drinking a few beers. So I think it depends on the situation. It is human nature to protect sensitive info when you are using that info to compete against people. But once again I understand why folks ask, I just choose what I feel comfortable answering and I either do or I don’t. I don’t get offended by the question. I mean when you have links on here posting cooking methods or trimming methods of meat from some of the top teams in the nation, which is fantastic by the way, and things like that, then how are newer comp cooks supposed to know what is ok or not ok to ask more experienced cooks? When you consider the money and time it takes to be competitive then I understand why people want to shorten the learning curves. For me, asking others and trying to read online didn’t move my knowledge along fast enough. So I took the plunge to invest more and took a few classes. I make enough money to piss it away like that. Lol. But I understand there are many others who will seek the info for free for various reasons. I’m just very selective in what I share. But I will tell you this, I do share some/alot because of others had not been generous with me I wouldn’t be able to cook as well as I do now.....which is still not very good but better than what it would have been without the help.

You can ask me anything anytime

You can ask me anything anytime

Thanks Pappy! And I know that about you. In fact, a bit part of my original post about this was inspired by you.

Several years ago, you were one of the first people I become friends with on the comp trail. You were generous with your time and insight. Always willing to discuss things that helped me/us.

And that was before you actually did your FREE class a few years ago. Which was fantastic! The stuff we discussed about meat prep, rubs etc was incredible......but also, many other things we went over that day have been incorporated into my comp routine. Little things about organization, cleanup and things that maybe alot of people wouldn't even care about, was something I thought was super helpful.

And because of your generosity and helpfulness it's something I try to pay forward as well with anyone that also thinks I may know just enough to help them some.

and like I said, I dont just hand over my notebook from Myron Mixon's class to people out of respect for him trying to run a business etc. but outside of things like that, I do want to help as much as I can.

so bottom line for me, when folks ask questions on this forum it's either a question I feel comfortable trying to help with or not.....but I'm just glad there are people still interested enough in BBQ to get on here and ask. I love to discuss it.

I only lurk here now and stick to the qtalk forum after I tried to ask a question here and got accused of being a liar and a cheat. I was taught very quickly as a new cook this wasn’t the place to ask questions.

I only lurk here now and stick to the qtalk forum after I tried to ask a question here and got accused of being a liar and a cheat. I was taught very quickly as a new cook this wasn’t the place to ask questions.

Feel free to email me at pappyqbbq@gmail.com and I’ll answer any question you have to the best of my ability

Wager, I'm sorry to here that. I don't know how long ago that was, but I have had the exact opposite response from the comp folks. I don't ask for secrets or anything like that. But, I have asked for advice several times and the response was great. As an fairly new competitor, I will ask questions all of the time. I understand there are cooks out there that do this for a living, so to speak, but for folks like me that compete 4-5 times a year this has been a great resource for me. If I lived somewhere that I could drive 3-4hrs in any direction to a comp I would definitely do more. I will continue to ask questions and I will continue to give advice in this forum. I was at a comp last month and there was a team next to us that were 1st timers and they asked us about how to do the garnish for the boxes. My wife went over to their trailer and showed them how to build one and said the rest are all yours. She made them run to the store and buy new/legal greens. She's a mean one. They ended up placing 12th over all. I was super happy for them. That is the kind of folks that I tend to run into at a comp, and that are the folks that tend to answer my questions on this forum.

Wager, I'm sorry to here that. I don't know how long ago that was, but I have had the exact opposite response from the comp folks. I don't ask for secrets or anything like that. But, I have asked for advice several times and the response was great. As an fairly new competitor, I will ask questions all of the time. I understand there are cooks out there that do this for a living, so to speak, but for folks like me that compete 4-5 times a year this has been a great resource for me. If I lived somewhere that I could drive 3-4hrs in any direction to a comp I would definitely do more. I will continue to ask questions and I will continue to give advice in this forum. I was at a comp last month and there was a team next to us that were 1st timers and they asked us about how to do the garnish for the boxes. My wife went over to their trailer and showed them how to build one and said the rest are all yours. She made them run to the store and buy new/legal greens. She's a mean one. They ended up placing 12th over all. I was super happy for them. That is the kind of folks that I tend to run into at a comp, and that are the folks that tend to answer my questions on this forum.

The guys at the competitions have been great. I’ve made a ton of friends out there and the comps have become a great way for myself and family to get away and hang out with great people and meet new people. I’ve only had that experience here on this forum.

It is what it is, and people continue to cook, judge, ask questions, and offer advice. There just seems to be more sleep involved, and less beer than there used to be.

I believe that this sums it up nicely. When I first started out in BBQ I was a judge and saw a lot of people cooking on a offset. I would see them about half out of it from staying up all night long tending their fire and drinking beer.

Now when I go to judge a contest I do not see these people very often. More often than not the competitors, myself included, are using a gravity fed cooker and are holed up in the nice camper. I cook in Georgia and for me personally it is just to hot and uncomfortable to sit outside and B.S with everyone that passes by.
Also cooking at a contest is now more like a business for people since they are plunking down to much money. In the business world most owners do not give away there information free since they would be essentially competition against themselves.

-Eric

Every time I tried to start a thread here it just does not go anywhere. Rarely even check here any more.

As for shortcuts, I think us comp cooks at times send mixed messages. Lots of folks don’t feel comfortable sharing “trade secrets” online. And I get that. When you have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars in comp classes then it’s easy to have red ass when thinking someone wants you to share what you have learned for free. Especially online. However, at contests I have seen tons of folks share everything they know after hanging out a bit and drinking a few beers. So I think it depends on the situation.

I agree with this and probably should have been a little more specific about it. If someone is going to put the time and effort into visiting a comp and talking to teams, I am more likely to help with a few pointers. I even stopped by Rusty Kettle's place a couple years ago and helped a little with trimming pork butts. So I'm not against helping others. Its the folks online that post things as "I have my first competition coming up in a few weeks and need to know how to get bite through skin on my chicken" are the ones that chap my arse a bit.

I agree with this and probably should have been a little more specific about it. If someone is going to put the time and effort into visiting a comp and talking to teams, I am more likely to help with a few pointers. I even stopped by Rusty Kettle's place a couple years ago and helped a little with trimming pork butts. So I'm not against helping others. Its the folks online that post things as "I have my first competition coming up in a few weeks and need to know how to get bite through skin on my chicken" are the ones that chap my arse a bit.

Yeah Sean did. He has helped me more than that over the years. Alot more. He has let me ask questions, send box pics to pick his brain, invited me to a practice cook that well got my head out of my arse, invited me up to a competition to let me see some of what he does. He didnt give me the whole answer. He did help guide me in the right direction. I have learned a heck of alot from him.
He is definitly more of the teach a man to fish type instead of the give a man a fish type.
It has defintily made all the difference.
My point is he is a great person and a heck of a great friend.

This forum used to awesome. I learned a lot over the years here and tried to give back where I could to help others but then a few know it alls came here and argued with everyone and drove a lot of the seasoned cooks out of here and to other venues. It's just not as fun anymore.

This forum used to awesome. I learned a lot over the years here and tried to give back where I could to help others but then a few know it alls came here and argued with everyone and drove a lot of the seasoned cooks out of here and to other venues. It's just not as fun anymore.

So why not make it fun again? I'll admit to not posting as much as I used to, but that has more to do with my work schedule and cleaning up after some of those know-it-alls :becky: and not having the time to post, but there is no reason to let a few individuals chase folks away. If folks ignore them and don't respond, they will be the ones going away.

it is what we make it. to be fair I do agree that we've lost some amazing posters the last few years. I joined 4 years ago at the tail end of what I call the golden age of the brethren. the original guys made this place great and drew in some real talent. as is the life cycle of a forum folks cycle in and out. it's still a great resource for knowledge and so many great people to hang out with.

we all evolve as time goes on. I produce way less content over the last year or so. heck there are probably some guys on here who are like who the fark is this ninja fella and what has he done.

it is what we make it. to be fair I do agree that we've lost some amazing posters the last few years. I joined 4 years ago at the tail end of what I call the golden age of the brethren. the original guys made this place great and drew in some real talent. as is the life cycle of a forum folks cycle in and out. it's still a great resource for knowledge and so many great people to hang out with.

we all evolve as time goes on. I produce way less content over the last year or so. heck there are probably some guys on here who are like who the fark is this ninja fella and what has he done.

Who are you?:confused::razz::caked:

I'm relatively new here and only started competing last year, but have asked some questions and learned a lot from them. One member was so generous to send me his rib recipe for his comp ribs. First time we tried it we didnt finish so well (too mushy, our fault), but the second time we took home first place. I didnt really know this place during its "Golden Age," but this age works for me now...

Back