Best lump charcoal value

Jeffro N

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
With lump selling for anywhere from $.50 to $2 per lb- anyone have an opinion on what's the best for the money? I was buying Royal Oak at HD but I've been very dissappointed with the last couple of bags.

There is an Academy ~40 miles from Fort Pierce. They might have B&B lump in stock, you'll probably need to call them to verify stock conditions. They should have 20lb bags of oak lump for $12.99/bag, this is the most common lump they produce (I am guessing here). If you are ever close to a Buc-ee's super gas station, they are selling the same 20lb bags for under $10... heck of a deal. Stock up on 1960's priced ice while you are there.

I have still to smoke with lump but, some friends swear by GFS which I heard was RO.

I have still to smoke with lump but, some friends swear by GFS which I heard was RO.
I tried the GFS lump about a month ago. I bought 2 bags and it was decent but halfway down it had more small pieces and dust in the bottom than any other brand I've ever used. I know a lot of that has to do with handling but I probably wont buy it again unless it's on sale. If I recall it was $14.99 for 20lb bag. I'm also considering that I had to drive across town to get it too when other lump is available closer. FWIW 15.4lb bag of RO at Walmart is $9.97.

I've tried a few.

RO is scrap wood. Also liable to have rocks and other crap in the bag. It's OK.. Burns hot, but burns quickly.

B&B, I had pretty decent result with, but I could taste more creosote when cooking with it. It's priced good though.

The others two I'm about to name aren't cheap, but in terms of value, I think they hold their own because they burn long, I believe burn cleaner, and I seem to get more use out of the leftovers than I do when using the cheaper brands.

They are Kamado Joe Big Block and Jealous Devil. KJ Big Block sells for $25.00 per 20lb bag and Jealous Devil sells for about $32.00 for a 20lb bag.

According to Naked Whiz's review on Lump Charcoals, KJ Big Block is made from Guayacan, Guayaibi, Quebracho Blanco woods and Jealous Devil is made from Quebracho Blanco wood.

Anyway, it's a very dense wood, and burns considerably longer than does say , Royal Oak. I get more uses out of a firebox full of it than I get out of a firebox full of RO. So the price difference balances out. I have to use less of it.

Thanks for the info- noticed yesterday at local Lowe's they have B&B for $12/20 lb. bag. Going to give it a try. In the mean time I ordered anther bag of Jealous Devil from Amazon ($49 for 35 lb). I've been impressed with it in the past, I guess it always comes down to you get what you pay for.

Back