Two questions: Please and Thank You

cynfulsmokersbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If any of you could please help me with these, I'd sure appreciate it.

We have been catering and vending for five years now. Most of our menu stays consistent, so I have no worries about it...... But.... I knew the day was coming when someone would request something that was new to me.

Two questions:

Prime rib. We charge $10.50 for two meats and two sides. We upcharge Brisket and Ribs. How much of an upcharge does everyone charge on Prime Rib.

Prime Rib recipe: (yes, this is part of question #1) :thumb:
I've got a standard one that works well, but I'm not sure it is "amazing" Anyone have any suggestions?

#2....
Roast Beef. I have a request for roast beef instead of Brisket. Anyone ever smoked a roast? If so: To what temperature? What temp did you smoke it at? What wood did you use? and what rub to use?

These are two big gigs, each worth about 4K... I really want to nail the tastings.

Thank You All...

Cynful....

In terms of Prime Rib, it also depends on the sides and how it is to be served. Normally, if I am serving Prime Rib, I serve from a carving station, this adds cost. For anything smaller, say 15 and under, it is plated or served on a platter. Sides are usually upgraded from BBQ types sides as well. Out here, we are talking $20 to $25 a person minimum.

Last year, for a very high end event, smoke Prime Rib and sides was $55 a person and that was no labor for a friend.

Roast beef, on the other hand, can be a lot less expensive, depending on the cut you select.

Either way, I like to cook these types of roast to 135°F internal temperature and let it rest up to 140°F. I don't cook that well for myself, but, I find in general that is a safe, across the board temperature. Of course, larger roasts will offer a range of done levels. As always, what to charge is based upon the cost of your meat. I base by quantities on 15% loss of mass, boneless roasts, 20% loss of mass in bone-in.

Didn't mention how many people

We do $10.50 a plate, two meats and two sides for 4 or 400. I'm just looking at what other caterers add to the cost of a plate for prime rib.

I will figure in the cost of servers, carving station and other staff costs later.

This wedding will be for 300-350.

We do $10.50 a plate, two meats and two sides for 4 or 400. I'm just looking at what other caterers add to the cost of a plate for prime rib.

I will figure in the cost of servers, carving station and other staff costs later.

This wedding will be for 300-350.

IMO, with Prime rib costing about 3 - 3 1/2 times the cost of brisket, I would triple you brisket markup. ie if you upcharge 2.00 for brisket, upcharge $7 for prime rib.

I add 15 a plate for hand carved 8oz prime rib, cooked in hi heat 500 to 600 to internal of 125, hot aujuis next to me...spice simple salt-pepper-onion-garlic
for roast beef, top round cooked to internal of 120 that you have to use meat slicer to get razor thin slices, did a 23 pounder yesterday for a party, great yield and only 3 a pound for choice angus

I add 15 a plate for hand carved 8oz prime rib, cooked in hi heat 500 to 600 to internal of 125, hot aujuis next to me...spice simple salt-pepper-onion-garlic
for roast beef, top round cooked to internal of 120 that you have to use meat slicer to get razor thin slices, did a 23 pounder yesterday for a party, great yield and only 3 a pound for choice angus

Thanks for the tips!

Do you ever take the roast beef to fall apart stage?
(pulled sandwich type meat?)

Back