Filet Mignon for 75 Co-Employees - Help

Trailer Trash

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Brethren can give me just a bit more confidence on our company Christmas party for 75 guests in a couple weeks. In the past we have all gone to a Gringo's version of Mexican food joint with some pretty bad appetizers and less than exciting venue. So this year a few of us chimed in with, "Hold my beer, I got this!". Soooo.... I need help. We are doing Filet Mignon with "Pot Luck" sides. What is the best way to do 75 Filets in a decent time line? I will have plenty of help available. I have a Medow Creek PR60 & BBQ42, Backwoods Gator & Fatboy, Weber 26" & (2) 22", a Jambo Backyard and a Good One Marshall... I have the temp controllers and pumps to do Sous Vide (but have only used for beer making 20 gallons), (2) Cambros, Thermo Pens and a Black Stone 36" grill. Just need directions :) HELP!!!!!!!!!

trim the roast of the silver, spice up and go into cooker running about 300, to internal of 125, pull out and let rest and slice and eat...
really 1 or 2 people to slice n serve so do in line, that way you can slice for them for doneness that want

What BigBellyBBQ said. Trim your own tenderloins. Cook 'em whole then slice. You certainly have enough equipment to cook them all at the same time.

I have done this a number of times for 30-40 people. Depending upon the size of the trimmed tenderloins, you will get about 6-7 nice 2-2.5 inch cuts per trimmed filet. Make a nice horseradish sauce as well.

And save the trimmings. There is some great meat there for future use.

Hadn't thought it out like this. Was going to slice, spice and grill... So, you're thinking more of a 300° roast to 125° and slice... I have already been asked about 3 options; Med. Rare, Med. and Well. (I want to debate them on "well done" but it's the owners family that wants them... Go figure). How do you see me controlling those temps? Maybe a count on preference and figure into the number of loins done to internal temp needs (125, 145 and 155?)

I just did Ribeyes for 225 at a wedding. What I did was a Reverse Sear, 1.) Bring the Steaks to about 110 on the smoker, 2.) Finish them (135 was my target) very quickly on a super hot charcoal grill. It worked GREAT!

1.) Trim your meat as you wish, and slice to your preferred thickness, I'm guessing somewhere 1.75-2 inches.

2.) You listed several smokers, all of which are perfect for bringing your sliced steaks up to just below your final temp slowly. In this stage, you are cooking the inside of your steaks. You could use just charcoal, or a little wood, in your stick-burner if you don't want too much of a smoke flavor. Bring your smokers to 225 degrees, place your cut and salt&peppered steaks on them, let them rise slowly to the internal temp of around 115.

I haven't done 2 inch Filet's yet, so I don't know how much the final sear will bring up the temp in the sear process. So, Darn, you will need to do a test steak or two ahead of time to dial in your step 1 pull temp.

Pull them and put in the warmed up cambro when they get to your desired temp.

3.) Get your grills ready, coals close to the grate and hot! Coat the steaks with Oil, preferably rendered beef fat. Sear those baby's and pull when you get the final internal temp you like.

Put the finished product in the Cambro.

I pulled this off with one helper, 1 large cabinet smoker, #WhoDat1, which is a little bigger than a Stumps Strech XL, and one Pitmaker GrillMeister, a 24x48 charcoal grill. Took me about 75 minutes to finish the steaks on the charcoal grill. Maybe a bit longer, it was busy! I'll post a few pic's later.

The Reverse Sear gives you totally evenly cooked interiors on the steaks, which is hard when you have such a thick cut. And it gives you that beautiful char, which is why I eat Steaks!

With the help and all the cookers you have, this will be a walk in the park for you!

Have fun

Photo Fun!
Hand cutting 10 Whole Ribeyes!
RGEj-oHxtW4KPjBlmXAB-wlJaYHaOjaQA6QO9mOXDlnxAjmOYIKX7Kar8O-kjDvUNrBQ2ohUi_a1TIZ7vR9ZMWuBzZ_nYONMfzGMimOeJN-2lUI_yj3x_LD5PaN9KxJmqB_uFSnsWiUGfVr6VwODwU16s1zAZRtQIAaEmn5nBFqTUR9QF2g1kqr2pNxU02pMPTA1B5A_Wa4eZN0YA2TRWIgKSnoM5YOqGNUfu7lFIrt6qQT61fGoryjU4CnpO_J2HEgOP4h3F2DU_dm8U6FQH_gPi-SoEOjlXjXF0Dm8ZK9GBImmZrqXGESqoyjTeW9zgFPr8nLPUA_44VeWCM34t4vd5sA_RMbQBZvMuu_JEFCluIAG2K9XNJipMHeLqZTmJRWLCJ-TkPWzW4Hd5o65fMLjicuX3al4WjCdMg_K1tu0QCT8k6ZZi-sUMM3Afvs7ia3TcXuoTPIijZZvb2i8_SkA8HfjQmIS0XFaIHN6dbVQt9uUB2J1JCwZVQ_dZydEOb4bdZou7GZDJb4iLhSbypBBZ9B5-T3pjc_3n3Q=w1806-h1017-no

On the rack, about to go into #WhoDat1, at 225 degrees, for about 10 minutes
WOCPSVUHnNQbK-oyTlz8sd3vOw0Md2i5SBCl6n2HsJCd6jzHx-FaSCqSabBOPUEdizZLbjMzFtVSn2z4eeAQFqarm8dYLCGPFvHYjP6WpHxv8HR6cLKgC5l5g_nG-bmQA5tfgFakTK09Kd8xWS6Z5o4C46U17xMHOSU8L1kLmKsi5HtX-bdH73vDlP6fSEHwIngx26yHmxOCb-GLvDrplMoTzMirIEsreNtzNdnaxNzXLxN5l7-WxVMU0yiAp65sRBfZ5eqr-iUnbI0nDavTYHCuphugpxXTjQ9ULnICzdmueuVFrrLyCbTc5FQFkF_AXHtGXwh02pfUKoLEzQ-qxiKdo84T1bajHVNMY6OHvCnVdewCn4M-5yEYm_QUz5rL0qlh63_M63Jzk7Unl7vS4YmC8uECfyXuHvHehxMNpsWvAWm93xSxg8oOTfGpnonGQLbDLz35COQC5hsxza_LFHST3B2jzYZP6kDTAZePDlebYdBZTR8I6crbeqgbZpuofEaN-hN58bE867S8-WWyqDTZv0YiTd3gT-pASAI=w1356-h1017-no

Yes, the fat drippings will catch fire, lol
Py4vMrzW2s5zr5Mgn53VFxonysMoEbyonofNYyVZbgwdgjiwhFkPCFIkT2s95fSj4Mm4I3spxR01PFFV_wp09_3O76Y9oh96DnueuYdjwR2psXZi8qhiHKhLGa5J-GLrUIePJqE2TIIjQOEuoXfMLNTo_7TZ7KitNhq9LNX7FyzV99PE4fLEuFF_YI0AW8GGZRtOkhwx8w3ZYrCtfuBC1qcNtQ09mFjVHLi8fqgkdPrGfWvcHS-dINprn7QqhViADJozN4vlMWoUZj9HjQNdb3P5Sx_cKpL-UMBW5qISbz2i8gZmOUfRsl-jGjtM9n4nAmtU_TTuefoEHWKxvqchI87Hx5B5WsGkx1O6_McnQdxeYraYHYsdRVRc8p3MixquzDaZ-sqgGurjqy5nQM_PlvEdpQ23SitzW0zucc6UyPNBNzjIkz431bciuOKpB5gSRHpNChBcir8CdcNpyZvE7qg4czEfbVENWvmHbtxtNePIU9_e1OPTw-5L0htzLqiWzz3UMHnHeEGaQFKebzLS25x4xzkWXrC9A6k4OmI=s1017-no

The long spactula in one hand, Thermapen in the other! Oh, and the face shield and good welding gloves were a necessity!
QnppLFa6cNDta0SBx3bm-JtHRRNUD2o6JxKHZ4DdKVzGDcLwoUOYBBuNepY8vMEh6kpsmMPSudlF5HHUhDWkPXvaogFybtVkIQuW9ZCMYFjO8M0uLIZECP3RPNsrdgJEIbhhvTLbROGUMV1td0J_fjD3OSevFtudJRLQl-2n3xZmxmAm12skaXJ9DqxqnVKRPnJE27MFbPMKDRgxyjFL2HH15lIEWMVA25ND26rPWLUnoniiIuBBDFkNo4fWsElnkbMp4wZzscFsWRgMqQj18EZy8fDOhwRr8HUfQye1f6iHUfQwNjV89FvfPoDxxg1tbY4_37hBObJBm8viTpqSWdPdyImOIU3IfQtN8paO3tV-WqCQfwvzKoGnP2oXKzJael_4K3ptXmVqTZw9kPj3_46etaM2zvSVRnofKk1ED85w8SDjfIKtwojCzg6v6aNr3h-PdgTHP2kGIrCLh5bOTj0FRyvCRmo7L_f2R-2M1zwL-U--d8xyx4isU3ALOQ4SPrOF4-KmoJOSsplHSR6mbgB24Ilxmm67f4Ij_3Q=w763-h1017-no

The Seared Steaks awaiting the wedding guests!
IX7AKv-HQkkuifsgTpw-GPwyt6fJ89msLMfK9RKWjd4gGdULthKlKZauO7y1o6-hJikBmkWqJLJSvyb2C6cfmHmxYPtT-MZX8dMR40VYRAi0SM2AJFoZpQ7B6Pn90oXGLpmahBGPtaGjxop5u04Kv1QTLfTyf6CfT_eaL0lOA41wXTGhRrgFs9jooxFvhIWHtGEo9EP3kbGX3k-8TkA_IXpesE1qHGgekzrVC66BvKQEv7WNnuIf2BtRI16H81KhJNdyt0YrXm_gCeI_mgKRuNxqXOoNZsS_WUxe7_KvDBEaiJ1E7nh_zJupu1agObgdJsGAewmZIpkw_h7Wmzp4OAeNn8R-4curJGKGV5Wg3jB_WMmh4dr2MwOAGKaY_8c-VjBGAy8mwLaPd5sKlS3fAI_I0p856qUhfy4iRgUYOlQxwFMYPwf-5aEWbgIYiRlXwvIh-pY3DuSl5AYFKUI1px-vYzY1ELVjKZjTh7nniTRIWjQFL1_EIHi4lV4A3O_NF_TZDiF43eUG90ptYKz9JOrpIHiY_gop-1UQSMQ=w763-h1017-no

And the finished product
q-9k5NBTIiaUWZdVslNEeqcJXh6VQiIkiNSflxefMnUnrDmtHuTd0EYJixCHKOKVQflk_H5nMacFnUrSuRm5NQUrdliTpKaaqiTjvmbRrrqfNZGynDXOeGpmUFOC-J7yQr5tlVbC2ZHHIrLm3dSC_a37xZZzFvtJ__rfccd2HoQr3rf90VCrYTQzVDAi6Tw7XQQ9NlhXKRRhTdv8Y0lIIktfEZQIL7pGaTfoIIdetsx8iCwxppvgqxX3eobnRCD5Zq89h0NcBVNX8Fyb28MYlnjLXLkpRLFckQbkBRbQsdfYZjnlhdcTVy9eQOuik0mSCmQGc1s-RBf1T-QWLYp4Jn9Pc0ATEgCM0DoIgwEHbzADzAieLQeN09HHcEQgJkhL50E4KPxvqwXFYzCFOsJaix_d0zCOzN9FC_fqCqBN_A2da0eyB20x_DjxXMXzrh4U-HhFpUkeX3SHkQpn2OpkFTDSzoSZCAFkv-_Rx3YEmTGPWRlne8Hfj4xTNcxFZxhgLclGML5bYzK_U8VHVjh10exn-3us5AKu9opOPuw=w763-h1017-no

The last of the Ribeyes I cooked without the reverse sear
piVGZJh9PWhmnhC-Wqs-EkvXXxYyWs1_4JPxi0vX9_VCoZpnjaZkFDCDBnVYf0Hmyq5Bz7eq8BKeG93t58iyPW1v27yIdaOhxjdK5fsbBgFMQxCkloNMPN5EdEUFKTrGgPoSXyQEoPK5J9fhdkoCLGJlEs3Gy2YXN4bsLTG3uUb7b1cplzK4OFmKtgT9Z3Bf9y2625D94OTVbZR3nQj77gfiYBqYODC9ChUwehPKXruIDo7wBf1DCPmp2nfK9p8-yemO8UrHTc8DB6_d5fcYKZjft532jTp99X_ffVkKfrwA8641jm8SHgmQgm5-hXe3P8zy5-2uhXkDG6XREkxrBZ8P3OuAqHTKzLUwT8jhrraLuUOI7oWK0r_MyzTeHXq0JY6UT1oOzOfQPfw87vBEtVjGhm3FwXhM_M8Y2KprKwScnzGKBhJs1myLIyCM0QvQtjiXgc8HdWbmlvR6b6ZGRgAog3Rq4qL4rq1C8qE1nbf8_n5zTC8OvmhfL8xzEYtGTSXSDC8Z26yoPc-VdVqSA1203nCxu0dpuWRgj78=w1356-h1017-no

Last edited:
Wow! Paul, this seems VERY controllable (which is what I'm looking for). What I don't want is 75 filets ($600) catching on fire with a frantic, out of control situation to deal with. The Backwoods, Jambo and Good One could get me through the first phase and the Meadow Creeks could finish off the reverse sear... Is that what you're suggesting???

Wow! Paul, this seems VERY controllable (which is what I'm looking for). What I don't want is 75 filets ($600) catching on fire with a frantic, out of control situation to deal with. The Backwoods, Jambo and Good One could get me through the first phase and the Meadow Creeks could finish off the reverse sear... Is that what you're suggesting???

Exactly!

I got better at the searing part as the cook went on. Those Ribeyes still had good size pieces of fat on them, as the bottom small lobe connects to the center, and that made a big fire and cooking around that was not as fun. My adjustment was to have a smaller coal bed underneath. I had a total of 5 Weber chimney's so I would that total flexibility. After the initial too-hot bed subdued, I added fewer coals, and the grease fire would flare, but it was not out of control.

Again, i did this with me as a solo player on the charcoal grill, and my assistant doing the warm up on the smoker at the start, and handling cutting some steaks in half for the ladies and bringing food in to the hall.

I would encourage you to do a practice cook with a couple of steaks so you get the learning done before the big cook. I did 2 practice cooks. What I did not simulate is the impact of the grease fire when I put lots of steaks on the red-hot charcoal grill. My assistant pitmaster told me that even those early steaks still came out fine - nice pink centers, even when I feared they would be more like medium well or worse.

You got this!

I do tenderloins for weddings, serve 150 guests with only me slicing and a helper tending the other dishes. I have all my tenderloins cooked 1/2 hour before serving time and just hold off to the side. Off to my other side is aujus in a chaffing dish, hot n ready. Slice to order if they want well done, let it sit in the juice for a couple minutes however I can find the end cut to be done farther along, however if they want a center cut, just let it sit in heated juice.
I also have an onion/mushroom/merlot reduction that it can finish in there also, for another layer of flavor.

I have also cooked for order however the line really gets backed up. I have also set up the larger grill for rib eyes or strip steaks and let the people cook it themselves. All ways I end up doing slice to order, this will cover several thin slices or a fat one

Fellas, Thank you so much! I can completely envision how this will work out. The process will be the solution for my two biggest worries; Full uncontrollable flare up and Controlling each person's done preference. I will run a painful test at home this weekend...

Can't thank you enough!!!

I am terrible on portions for recipes, however here is the basic ...brown up minced bacon in butter or olive oil, slice onions into rings and mince garlic, caramelize, brown the mushrooms, go easy on the salt(a lot in the bacon and broth)....pepper, some rosemary...add your wine, cook down about 1/2, add some your favorite beef broth,
you put the mushrooms off to the side and save a few in the pan if you need to use for extra broth, another item to play with for the broth is Minors has a mushroom base and a vegetable base, you can get LOTS of earthy flavors with this.
I have had LOTS of compliments just on the onion/mushrooms....
For home I make lots extra and keep in the fridge for a couple days
I use this for my tri tip also for one killer of a sandwich..

I have already been asked about 3 options; Med. Rare, Med. and Well. (I want to debate them on "well done" but it's the owners family that wants them... Go figure).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4"]King of the Hill - Hank's steak advice - YouTube[/ame]

I noted that if grilled you were worried about flareups. 2 things, the fat content will not be an issue with this cut of meat, however whenI use my weber for grilling, even if doing rib eyes with tons of fat, if a fire starts, the domed lid will snuff the flames out instantly, so no problem with that either

You listed several smokers, all of which are perfect for bringing your sliced steaks up to just below your final temp slowly. In this stage, you are cooking the inside of your steaks. You could use just charcoal, or a little wood, in your stick-burner if you don't want too much of a smoke flavor. Bring your smokers to 225 degrees, place your cut and salt&peppered steaks on them, let them rise slowly to the internal temp of around 115.

About how long did this step take?

If this adds anything - the old
40 to 140 in 4 hours.
My friend Pre seared steaks, then pulled them,
in a restaurant and then threw them on to order.

I personally like the earlier idea of a grilled/smoked
Full Tenderloin.
Rare in the middle, more well done on the ends
for people who don't know meat.

If this adds anything - the old
40 to 140 in 4 hours.
My friend Pre seared steaks, then pulled them,
in a restaurant and then threw them on to order.

I personally like the earlier idea of a grilled/smoked
Full Tenderloin.
Rare in the middle, more well done on the ends
for people who don't know meat.

I don't know what this means. Please explain...

Okay, so a follow up to my cook. Here's what I did;

- Baked 75 potatoes (naked) @ 425° in the Meadow Creek PR60 w/ gas to internal temp of 208°. Took 2 hours. I had practiced this and knew the timeline. Wrapped in foil w/ olive oil and sprinkle of Lowery's garlic, onion salt spice. Finished soon enough to be able to Place in cooler for a couple hours. Turned out great!

- Wrapped frozen corn on the cob in foil, buttered and sprinkled w/ Tony's Creole Seasoning. Roasted in the Meadow Creek PR60 along with the potatoes for 45 minutes. Awesome! Lots of compliments!

- Took the "done" preference from all employees days in advance. Interesting... 18 Medium Rare, 34 Medium and 23 Well Done. I try not to be judgemental but 23 Well Done? That's criminal! Anyway did them all on the Meadow Creek BBQ42 Chicken Cooker with the coal pan high, just under the grill rack. Started with the Well Done and into a Hotel Pan and into the Cambro. Then did the Mediums and Medium Wells together. Using a ThermaPen, I pull them off and dropped them into the appropriate hotel pan accordingly. All this took an hour.

All and all, it was a success. I think the next time, I'd like to try the Sous Vide process.

Thank you all for the help!

Back