How much to charge?

kurtsara

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have someone want 15 lbs of brisket and 15 racks of St Louis ribs and 3 pans of our beans (Bushes beans doctored up and smoked).

I'm in Minnesota, I shop at restaurant depot, how much would some of you charge?

Thanks

Many people use (cost of groceries) X 3 However sometimes other figures are cause for concern when deciding what to charge. How far do you have to drive to do this event? Fuel costs for your vehicle and your smoker can cause price to go up. Labor costs--are you paying a helper? Brisket takes a while to cook--how many hours are you investing of your time---will you be taking time of work?? etc etc

I'm gonna say $1000.
I assume you have insurance, etc...
I learned when you have cheap clients, you get cheap referrals.

Local Prices Here...

Bulk meat orders per lb.
PULLED PORK 10.95
PULLED CHICKEN 11.95
BEEF BRISKET 18.95
SMOKED SAUSAGE 11.95

SAUCES & SIDES
1/2 Pint 2.75
Pint 5.50
Quart 10.95

thanks, we normally just vend but we did alright on this one then.

OK, how much?

I agree with MadMan's by the pound pricing, but I look at it
like I do my main job - how many days / hours / hassle / x factor =
$450 minimum labor to do anything. Can't spend 8 hours smoking for $150 labor.
Not productive.

OK, how much?

I agree with MadMan's by the pound pricing, but I look at it
like I do my main job - how many days / hours / hassle / x factor =
$450 minimum labor to do anything. Can't spend 8 hours smoking for $150 labor.
Not productive.

We got $17.00 per lb for the Brisket, $30.00 per pan for the Beans, $24.00 per rack for the ribs plus buns and coleslaw and another $50.00 to deliver it hot and ready to serve.

When you guys are talking meat pricing are you talking cooked or un-cooked?

Cooked meat, sold by the pound

We got $17.00 per lb for the Brisket, $30.00 per pan for the Beans, $24.00 per rack for the ribs plus buns and coleslaw and another $50.00 to deliver it hot and ready to serve.

Sounds like you did ok, You could have gotten more for the brisket, but as long as you didn't loose money and you are in the black, you are good...
I hope you took into consideration like Mchar69 said, time, cooking fuel, driving time, overhead (insurance, utilities, vehicle mileage, ect). These things have a definite cost factor, and if they aren't paying for it, it's coming out of your pocket in the end. I'm glad you charged $50.00 for delivery to help recover some of the costs. But as you get a grounding in the business, you'll get better with pricing and estimates.

Keep us posted on your future endeavors...

Cooked meat, sold by the pound

Sounds like you did ok, You could have gotten more for the brisket, but as long as you didn't loose money and you are in the black, you are good...
I hope you took into consideration like Mchar69 said, time, cooking fuel, driving time, overhead (insurance, utilities, vehicle mileage, ect). These things have a definite cost factor, and if they aren't paying for it, it's coming out of your pocket in the end. I'm glad you charged $50.00 for delivery to help recover some of the costs. But as you get a grounding in the business, you'll get better with pricing and estimates.

Keep us posted on your future endeavors...

We have been doing this since 2010, just checking my prices.

The meal was for my unions Christmas party, so I got to eat my share of it also.

Back