New Masterbuilt Gravit Feed

It's reassuring to hear that it has less of a smoke profile, wasn't sure with the small fire I imagine it produces. We're eventually moving so I'm trying to eliminate grills on the deck. Finding something that can grill hot & fast after work & then do a brisket on the weekend is exciting.

7d5580037e1cc75ea30ca84f1fa80405.jpg

3a906b267088e9f68497b7d844bb323c.jpg

5f80c7d0f96abcf3d22004bf5ae0ea90.jpg

aef0be0e3bfdf5a6fb4577d83e6b1092.jpg

7a90098ba664789126c1d3ee032f0937.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point of posting pics from a Char Broil?

......................We're eventually moving so I'm trying to eliminate grills on the deck. Finding something that can grill hot & fast after work & then do a brisket on the weekend.

Alex Trebek: “Char-Broil Kamander”.

Smitty: “What is something that can do hot n fast after work & then do a Brisket on the weekend.”

Trebek: “Correct” “Your choice Smitty”

Last edited:
Alex Trebek: “Char-Broil Kamander”.

Smitty: “What is something that can do hot n fast after work & then do a Brisket on the weekend.”

Trebek: “Correct” “Your choice Smitty”

I have a Char-griller Akorn & it’s a great grill/smoker but unfortunately a little small at times. I wish the KJ Big Joe was a little (lot) more affordable but it’s way out of my price range.

i went to a Home Depot an hour away from me in my truck ready to buy but after seeing it in person it’s too small for me. Unfortunately I didn’t have any closer to home but glad I looked at it in person before pulling the trigger. I need to measure my Camp Chef 24 but the grate size looked smaller than that & when I checked measurements online they seemed a lot closer on paper than what I saw.

FWIW I didn’t have any issues with the quality at the price point, it’s not that much more than a Weber performer & isn’t built any better or worse than one of those IMO. Sure the Weber has a porcelain coated bowl but the lid on mine was bowed right out of the box & the grates didn’t last three seasons before I replaced them. So while some folks might be expecting some incredible 1/4” bomber built smoker for the money the reality is that for $500 you aren’t getting much metal no matter who builds it.

I’ll be a buyer when the bigger unit is here, I think it’s great that there is a charcoal gravity fed fan control unit available at a low price point, hopefully it brings more competition to the segment so we all win.

I admit, it’s a cool looking cooker. Saw one the other day and not too shabby at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i went to a Home Depot an hour away from me in my truck ready to buy but after seeing it in person it’s too small for me. Unfortunately I didn’t have any closer to home but glad I looked at it in person before pulling the trigger. I need to measure my Camp Chef 24 but the grate size looked smaller than that & when I checked measurements online they seemed a lot closer on paper than what I saw.

FWIW I didn’t have any issues with the quality at the price point, it’s not that much more than a Weber performer & isn’t built any better or worse than one of those IMO. Sure the Weber has a porcelain coated bowl but the lid on mine was bowed right out of the box & the grates didn’t last three seasons before I replaced them. So while some folks might be expecting some incredible 1/4” bomber built smoker for the money the reality is that for $500 you aren’t getting much metal no matter who builds it.

I’ll be a buyer when the bigger unit is here, I think it’s great that there is a charcoal gravity fed fan control unit available at a low price point, hopefully it brings more competition to the segment so we all win.

Start looking for the Masterbuilt 1050 grill. Bigger version of 560

any of yall have issues with the charcoal falling thru the firegrate too soon? - in pic new charcoal is almost falling thru.......seems like even just partially burnt would fall thru into ash pan? Just Curious - anyone add expanded metal?

6233568317f064cffb79db12f18aca2e.jpg

You want to really perk up that 560? Connect your Fireboard to it

I actually got the 1050. So far the front panel, and the app work for controlling things. Though I definitely see your point with Fireboard drive. On that the programs are great, can really emphasize all the key temps in a long cook.

On the Akorn I have used that to sorta skip the boring temps and get right to the key temps and hold. For example get a couple hours of smoke below ~125 is meat temp, then jump to ~150-160 ish meat and render fat for a while, then jump to ~190 ish and hold to breakdown the tough stuff and turn it to gelatin/sugar.

The best ribs I ever made came off my Akorn using that strategy and putting the wood on a separate grate just above the coals after they were lit. Though it takes an awful long time to prep the smoker (and get nice clean smoke) for what turns out to be a pretty small amount of ribs on the Akorn.

If the Masterbuilt app does not add program functionality I will probably go there at some point. For awhile I will stay more manual and try to learn the cooker. First I need to learn how to get a nice clean smoke flavor.

How did you adapt the masterbuilt to the fireboard drive? Did you cut wires, or make an adapter?

Also, when using the fireboard does the fan still cut off if you open a door?

Thanks again for your great review of the MB Gravity--it's going to be fun exploring what this can do.

I actually got the 1050. So far the front panel, and the app work for controlling things. Though I definitely see your point with Fireboard drive. On that the programs are great, can really emphasize all the key temps in a long cook.

How did you adapt the masterbuilt to the fireboard drive? Did you cut wires, or make an adapter?

Also, when using the fireboard does the fan still cut off if you open a door?

Thanks again for your great review of the MB Gravity--it's going to be fun exploring what this can do.

I connected my Fireboard with a cable I made with a 2.5mm barrel plug on one end, and a JST type connector on the other. That way I can go back to stock as easy as unplugging the patch cable and plugging back in the MB cable.

The Fireboard will sense a temp drop when you open the lid, and will turn off the fan for a period of time that you set on the F/B.

I connected my Fireboard with a cable I made with a 2.5mm barrel plug on one end, and a JST type connector on the other. That way I can go back to stock as easy as unplugging the patch cable and plugging back in the MB cable.

The Fireboard will sense a temp drop when you open the lid, and will turn off the fan for a period of time that you set on the F/B.

Any chance you have a link to those connectors? I checked amazon and a ton of different ones come up. If no link any idea what pitch I need for the jst connector?

Great! Thanks. May as well order these and the 2.5mm barrel connectors. Just to get ready. I'm wondering if I should make a new harness that utilizes the two charcoal door switches to break fan contact when doors are open? Would probably be pretty easy to make, and non-destructive to the stock harness. If I get the parts, and am still in lockdown it would be a fun project.

Great! Thanks. May as well order these and the 2.5mm barrel connectors. Just to get ready. I'm wondering if I should make a new harness that utilizes the two charcoal door switches to break fan contact when doors are open? Would probably be pretty easy to make, and non-destructive to the stock harness. If I get the parts, and am still in lockdown it would be a fun project.

I used an automotive fuse to bridge the lid switch at first. Fireboard does away with all those switches as you don't use the Masterbuilt control at all

Back