Puerto Rican Roadside Chicken with pr0n...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
I am loving the rotisserie kit I got for Christmas.

When I was in college, my parents lived in Puerto Rico. My dad's employer paid for me to go down there twice a year. As much as I loved Puerto Rico during winter break, I loved the Cuban influenced food even more.

All around San Juan, mostly outside of town, where tourists never went, there were these roadside trailers with these amazing whole roasted chickens.

I tried to reproduce this treat, without a recipe that I could verify as authentic.

I started with a whole chicken, and a marinade, made with orange and lime juices, dried oregano from my garden, cumin, olive oil, onion, and some garlic that I found online.

After marinading for eight-hours, I gave the bird a quick rinse and dry, and loaded it onto the rotisserie spear thingy.

picture.php

After about an hour, the bird was cooked, and golden brown, as confirmed by my stealthy grey Thermapen.

picture.php

After a proper rest, I cut my bird in half, photographed one half, while simultaneously eating the other half. I've never been a multi-tasker, but if you want something badly enough, amazing things happen. :becky:

Here is the famous/infamous BBQ Brethren fork shot.

picture.php

I can't say that I nailed the authentic Puerto Rican roadside taste, but it was close enough, and tasted really good. It was definitely tender and juicy.

Thanks for looking.

CD

That looks great CD. What differences do you see in your chicken using the rotisserie rather than in indirect cook on the grate? Looking for an excuse to get me a rotisserie for the OTS:wink:

Looks great and brings back great memories for me. My Grandfather was from Puerto Rico and I've tried to reproduce his chicken and rice dish but can't quiet get it perfect.

That looks great CD. What differences do you see in your chicken using the rotisserie rather than in indirect cook on the grate? Looking for an excuse to get me a rotisserie for the OTS:wink:

It seems to cook a little faster, much more evenly, and retain more moisture.

CD

Back