Help finding Hickory Wood

TexasGuppie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I brought a cord of hickory from Dallas when I moved to Tucson. Well, it's all gone. Tucson has plenty of pecan and mesquite (and some occasional oak) but NO hickory.

I have a business trip coming up next month to Texas but it's taking me only as far as El Paso. Any chance of finding hickory suppliers there?

El Paso Brethren...help me out if you can.

-Gup (probably has a better chance of finding a trained circus seal in the desert than finding hickory)

I brought a cord of hickory from Dallas when I moved to Tucson. Well, it's all gone. Tucson has plenty of pecan and mesquite (and some occasional oak) but NO hickory.

I have a business trip coming up next month to Texas but it's taking me only as far as El Paso. Any chance of finding hickory suppliers there?

El Paso Brethren...help me out if you can.

-Gup (probably has a better chance of finding a trained circus seal in the desert than finding hickory)

Have you tried that newfangled world wide web thingy yet? (props to Alton Brown on that).

http://www.charcoalstore.com/products/Wood-Chunks/CH-6884.html

http://www.barbecuewood.com/-strse-1686/Hickory-Chiminea-Wood-25/Detail.bok

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/suffixitem/688WCHUNK/HICKORY.html

Just a start...

pecan is part of the hickory family or visa versa... adapt. your in texas anyway so you should use oak.

I'll assume that you are new to this addiction.

Sure, in the beginning you start with the little bags of wood chips at the grocery store then as the beast takes a greater hold of you, you'll graduate to the bags of wood at Home Depot. I suggest that you quit now before you ever get to the stage that most of us are in.

At our level of addiction even a full pickup bed full of splits will only satisfy the BBQ demons for a short period of time. Then you consider forsaking all else and start looking for semi-truck or even train car loads. I once thought about an aircraft carrier or even a belly-full in a 747.

I appreciate the thought though.

If you haven't used Pecan wood yet; try it.
Whenever I used Pecan instead of Hickory; people liked it better.
Go shoot a couple of Javalinas and smoke the meat over
Pecan wood and see what you think of it.

I agree with what others have said about Pecan. It's only slightly a lighter smoke than hickory, very slightly.

Pecan is more forgiving and has a lighter smoke flavor than hickory. What I mean about more forgiving is that too much hickory smoke can leave meat tasting "hammy", I reckon pecan could to but it would take alot of it. Try the pecan!!

I'll assume that you are new to this addiction.

Sure, in the beginning you start with the little bags of wood chips at the grocery store then as the beast takes a greater hold of you, you'll graduate to the bags of wood at Home Depot. I suggest that you quit now before you ever get to the stage that most of us are in.

At our level of addiction even a full pickup bed full of splits will only satisfy the BBQ demons for a short period of time. Then you consider forsaking all else and start looking for semi-truck or even train car loads. I once thought about an aircraft carrier or even a belly-full in a 747.

I appreciate the thought though.

Sorry. I am relatively new to this...

I find it crazy that you humped a cord of wood from Dallas to Tucson. Ouch.....

Pecan is in NO short supply here. I live an hour away from a small community known as Green Valley. That place is loaded with pecan growers and thus, tons of pecan wood. Plenty of mesquite here as well. I keep a 1/4 cord for grilling.

I have to admit that there isn't a lot of difference between the pecan and hickory but I would still like some hickory.

I'm going to assume that hickory in El Paso is as elusive as it is here in Tucson.

I appreciate the responses though!

-Gup

Back