Rib Help

Is It Ready Yet?

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ribs have been killing us this year. We can't seem to get it right. The taste and tenderness thing has been the issue. We use St. Louis style, we rub them down and cook on the lang for 4 1/2 - 5 hrs at 225. Not looking for anyones secrets, just a solid foundation on which to start. Any suggestions?

Are you using any foil, butter, brown sugar, or honey. That's a good place to start. What kind of sauce are you using?

As far as tenderness, are they too tender or not tender enough? Do you foil at all?

As far as taste, what kind of rub, how much, what kind of sauce?

Are you cooking for friends and family or competition?

We have been cooking 3 hrs unfoiled, then foil for 1 hr, then back off to finish. We have been using Blues Hog on the ribs. No butter or honey. Thanks for the tip.

They seem to be not tender enough. For comp we know that "fall off the bone" is not good. We used Home BBQ's rib rub at our last comp. in Grant, FL. But have been using Plowboys in the past. We coat the ribs evenly with the rub not using too much. We foil at least 1 hr.

So are they too tender or not tender enough? The cook time doesn't sound long enough for spares unless they are small. That's about how long I do baby backs for. Since you are foiling take that opportunity to add flavor (honey, brown sugar, juice, etc.).

Ribs have been killing us this year. We can't seem to get it right. The taste and tenderness thing has been the issue. We use St. Louis style, we rub them down and cook on the lang for 4 1/2 - 5 hrs at 225. Not looking for anyones secrets, just a solid foundation on which to start. Any suggestions?

Actually we are trying the 321 method using apple juice and grape juice combined for the marinade in the foil when we wrap em , and using a finishing glaze of 2 cups bbq sauce 1 cup honey , will be doing them Sunday for a test run.

Actually we are trying the 321 method using apple juice and grape juice combined for the marinade in the foil when we wrap em , and using a finishing glaze of 2 cups bbq sauce 1 cup honey , will be doing them Sunday for a test run.

I guess I need to experiment with honey and brown sugar. Does anyone use a marinade for competition?

I had the same problem ....its the meat ..ie the chemicals and what the animal eats.

long live jack lambert...steeler fans!

I would tell you what we do but it would not help...unless your looking to move down a couple points lol

Bobby,

We used Blues Hog with some success a couple of years ago.
We love it and use it for recreational Que still.
But, not a flavor that judges down here are used to.
Results were inconsistant.
There is one major team that I know of that is using Blues Hog with good results--so go figure! :oops:

FBA judges like the ribs tender--very tender.

They like a really sweet sauce that does not overpower the meat.

Are you coming to Mulberry this weekend or Brooksville the next ???

Look me up if you are.

TIM

Fall off the bone is GOOD in comp, I don't care what anyone tells you. They only times we have done bad is when the ribs were cooked perfect. By the time the ribs get the to judges they will firm up and be the perfect finish

Fall off the bone is GOOD in comp, I don't care what anyone tells you. They only times we have done bad is when the ribs were cooked perfect. By the time the ribs get the to judges they will firm up and be the perfect finish

my best rib finish I thought was over cooked, the judges didnt..go figure.

Bobby, you got some heavyweight advise on this post when you get Captain Ron, River City Smokehouse, OC Pig, and my MOFO neighbor Chad (Captain Caveman), throwing out some advise. I certainly perked up with their input. Good helpful folk.

dang dude, I thought only I knew that!, try that at home!

Thanks everyone! I will let you know how I progress will our worst category....RIBS. Thanks for all of your input and feedback!

Up the temps.

I am a 250 guy as well. You know my thoughts on Plowboy's rub already. :mrgreen:

Back