MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
wiredhernandez
Found some matches.

Default Graduating.

New to the board. I have been cooking outside for a long time but the bbq smoking stuff is new to me. I call it "graduating" from grilling... but this bbq smoking 101 stuff is kicking my butt so far. I have picked up a nice refurbed pit and spending this afternoon trying to get my first "successful" smoked brisket done (first couple not so great)... I love my grilling pit so far I get a kick outta smoking... We'll see what the evening brings.. -Adam
wiredhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Might be easier to start with a boston butt as they are more forgiving allowing you time to figure out how your pitt works. If you havn't already introduce yourself at "cattle call" and if you have..welcome.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with armor...learn the pit first with a butt or two. Briskets are tricky, but you can learn a wealth of information here. The Brethren can help ya...

Your first couple of briskets - tell us about how you cooked them - what temp, internal temp when pulled, did you rest/wrap/cooler? Those kinds of things.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck and have fun! The people on this board are awesome ('sides me, I'm still learning ) and will set you straight on getting good grub on your plate in no time!

Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
smalls65
Full Fledged Farker

I have to co-sign with everyone else....I cooked a Butt my first time out and had a good time, and it turned out REALLY GOOD!!!!!!! Butts are really forgiving if you have a temp spike....Just remember to stick with the basics develop your own cooking style and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

What kind of pit are you using? Stick burner? The type of pit will make a world of difference on who here is able to give you good info.

Some cook on all types, but some, like me, are more versed in one or two types.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

What kinda pit did you get? Do you have a picture you would like to share. I'd like to see it but it's not neccessary.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
wiredhernandez
Found some matches.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I did the first couple of cooks on pork butts and chicken. Different problems.... maintaining fire/temp .. too smoky in flavor... This is actually my first attempt at a brisket as I have a better idea on managing the fire.. I will give a breakdown of how I have started this and have a couple of pics.. Still having a time with the fire but more a less getting there.

The pit is 18" diameter as a good size for bakyard cooking and 1/4 all the way around... Just outfitted with a new temp guage (lack of one was major contribution to earlier problems I think).

Last night I picket up a 7lb trimmed brisket and used a great rub called Targil's . Also injected with apple cider...

I am using pecan wood which seems to burn FAST but doesnt seem so strong in taste.. I was told to get a big fire going and burn to coals... not much success since shortly after burning to coals it lasts a little while then burns out...

Put the brisket on this morning at 8:30 top up .. smoked @ 225 till 11:30 then wrapped in foil... Still going although I have had temp spikes and drops (majority has been 200-225 though)....

I plan on keeping out there till around 5pm and let sit a while...

Pics below.. No idea on the smoker type its old but looks good and build
quality looks great... Except for this morning... Pics are my Saturday cook in progress.. Thanks guys!

8:30 pic

The Pit

Feeding the Fire..

Old 02-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

I learned the hard way that it is tough to cook when you only use time as your judge on when it is done or not. Try getting a meat thermometer and taking the internal temp, this helped me immensley. When it hits 195 I take it off, foil it, and let it sit for about 90 minutes in a cooler.

Welcome to the site!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
wiredhernandez
Found some matches.

Thanks for the added input. I will continue to browse and look for pointers going forward. Maintaining the fire is the hardest part for me now..

OK ... not yet where I want to be but getting closer.. The taste and look is great but it could definitely be a little more tender... I shaved off enough for dinner and put back in for a couple more hours to see what happens.. Comments on what I can do to improve welcome. Thanks!-Adam

Ribs I threw on too...

Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Looks to me the tender issue is more of the way you sliced it issue. Looks like you sliced it with the grain not across the grain.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
wiredhernandez
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
What kinda pit did you get? Do you have a picture you would like to share. I'd like to see it but it's not neccessary.
Skidder, I have no idea what the pit make is... Small as it is still nearly 300lbs or I could be a weakling.. Three men to load... :) . its 1/4 all the way..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

those look pretty good. brisket always kicks my arse.
devious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Another trick to brisket is to cook it till you can slide a thermometer probe into it like it's sliding into soft butter. Usually in the mid 190's range but start checking in the 180's.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I think skidder hit the nail on the head.
I would follow his lead, cut the point off the flat, slice ACROSS the grain instead of parallel with it.
You can make some burnt ends with the point.
Learning to test with food probe is the way to go.
The brisket looks great.:)
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote