Chicken

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've gone from having some decent success with chicken to really bad. I have consecutive 56th place finishes the past 2 competitions, with the last one really bringing me down in the overall score.

I keep adding things to make it more flavorful, and I wonder if over the top has finally gone over the top, and that there is just too much going on. Is anyone having luck with a simple, back to basics, type recipe? I spend so much damn time trimming and prepping chicken, and I can probably score just as well throwing some salt and pepper on untrimmed thighs.

Just venting about my ability to take something decent and overcomplicate it to the point where it's nearing DAL.

Are the judges' raw scores clearly showing that flavor is the primary problem?
When you were having success with your chicken, what prompted you to make changes?
Have you considered going back to your former recipe?
Try to troubleshoot with all the information you have over the span of a number of contests.

You also won a 3rd just 2 months ago. What did you change?

Last year we averaged a 162 in Brisket. This year cooking the exact same process we are averaging a 146. So at our last contest we went back to basics and really started over ... our score was worse!

I've gone from having some decent success with chicken to really bad. I have consecutive 56th place finishes the past 2 competitions, with the last one really bringing me down in the overall score.

I keep adding things to make it more flavorful, and I wonder if over the top has finally gone over the top, and that there is just too much going on. Is anyone having luck with a simple, back to basics, type recipe? I spend so much damn time trimming and prepping chicken, and I can probably score just as well throwing some salt and pepper on untrimmed thighs.

Just venting about my ability to take something decent and overcomplicate it to the point where it's nearing DAL.

I will be watching this thread as I am having the same issue.

I decided to take a chance a couple weeks ago and turned in wings rather than thighs....8th place, my best KCBS chicken finish yet.

I truly think that the less seasoned (rubbed) a chicken thigh is, the better you do.

Are the judges' raw scores clearly showing that flavor is the primary problem?
When you were having success with your chicken, what prompted you to make changes?
Have you considered going back to your former recipe?
Try to troubleshoot with all the information you have over the span of a number of contests.

Taste is the biggest problem, but it seems to move in sync with tenderness. When taste is down, so is tenderness, just not as much.

You also won a 3rd just 2 months ago. What did you change?

Last year we averaged a 162 in Brisket. This year cooking the exact same process we are averaging a 146. So at our last contest we went back to basics and really started over ... our score was worse!

I didn't change anything the 2 contests following the 3rd, and did poorly. I went back to my WSM and tried boneless thighs last weekend, and ended up with my 2nd straight 56th. They just didn't turn out right. The practice I did the week before was really strong, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I truly think that the less seasoned (rubbed) a chicken thigh is, the better you do.

I'm starting to think that's the issue. I think I am over seasoning the chicken and need to realize that this is the first meat they taste and I'm probably overpowering it with too much rub.

Over seasoning has been my problem the last couple of contests. I'll make a conscious effort to cut the seasoning in half this week in Burlington.

Back