MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
bigred1
Found some matches.

Default What should I attempt this weekend? Ready to step it up a bit

Greetings,
Been reading like crazy and stepping up my skills on the smoker. I have a weber performer that Im using primarly as a smoker, just cooking for friends and family. Ive always had a grill (weber silver now) connected to natural gas and grill multiple times a week but really new to smoking.

Ive done a decent amount of smoked chicken and will always be perfecting that but ready to move up a bit.

What should I attempt as a more forgiving but staple cut of meat on the smoker?

Thanks in advance,
Dustin
bigred1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Pork butt. it is very forgiving and pulled pork is always a good choice.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep - get a butt. Very forgiving and very tasty.
Spare Ribs are good too, bit not as forgiving.
Toss on a NAKED fatty and some ABTs to snack on while you wait for that butt to cook.
And yes... I said NAKED!!!!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

^^^ Ron said it. Pork Butt, or Picnic (which are the 2 cuts that make up the shoulder of the hog) are by far the two most forgiving pieces of meat. Mind you, that doesn't mean that you can't ruin them (I know I have; thankfully in the past).

Run a few searches here and look up how to smoke on the Weber. Keep the temps lower than you would grilling; however dont fall into the lure/trap that 225 or lower is magic. It's not. I suggest shooting for 250, give or take. Use a rub on the butt and please keep the sugar to a minimum (if at all). If you'd like, inject it. For me, the injection was the difference in good meat to great meat. An injection can be something as simple as apple juice and a little worchestershire sauce, perhaps a little of your rub in there to tie in the flavors.

Every smoker is different. Mine will blacken the meat pretty dark after a while. As a result, I foil the meat with double wrapped Heavy Duty foil just after that 4th hour. Depending on the size of the butt and the temperature you're cooking at, it'll be done between that 8th and 12th hour; ours are usually done right at 9 hours. Matter of fact, I have 4 "on deck" for tomorrow morning.

Another little trick that I learned along the way is to let the butt rest before pulling/eating it. Take it out and let it rest for an hour or longer. If longer than an hour, wrap a towel or something around it to help keep it warm. The resting allows the juices to re-penetrate the meat.

You'll end up with moist, juicy, tender heaven!

Best of luck.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Like everyone else has said, a pork butt is pretty 'staple' when it comes to smoking meat. If you wanna try something that takes a little less time, toss on a rack of ribs.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
bigred1
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. I’m surprised you all are suggesting doing a pork butt, I do agree this is a good staple. I will follow the advice on injecting it and using a rub. I went to a farmers market here in Atlanta (Dekalb) and got tons of spices and Im creating my own rubs.

I do have question on the sugar. lake Dog your telling me to minimize the sugar, why? is this specific to a pork butt because this surprised me.

Also, I actually had planned on throwing a fatty on with whatever I do. But what’s ABTs??

Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
gtr

Pulled pork is a fantastic way to go.

I'm guessing the comment about the sugars is due to the fact that sugars in a rub will burn after a while, esp. with higher temps. Correct, LD? You can use raw or turbinado sugar and this will help with that.

ABT's are jalapenos stuffed (usually with cream cheese and other stuff - experiment!) then wrapped with bacon and smoked. Some folks (like me) cut the japs in half, others stuff from the end.

Always use caution when handling jalapenos, esp. if you plan on handling anything else afterward. .
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
davefan360
Take a breath!

ABT's are awsome, I make mine with japs, cream cheese, and some green onion all wraped in bacon. I have also made mushrum caps with cream cheese, green onion and bacon. And if you want to add some more add some mini winnies or smoked sausage that is cut in little bit size bits and add them to the middle. and as far as a step up smoke a nice beer can chicken would be good.
davefan360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
bigred1
Found some matches.

Ok Im originally from Texas so Ive been eating stuffed jalapenos since birth, but never off a smoker. Will definetly have to try that.

Well I will go for my first pork butt off the smoker then. This has been on my list and Ive eaten a ton of these from friends smokers, time to take the plunge...and about what I expected on the sugar.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
deguerre

After you do the butt (Which I would also suggest), do yourself a favor and smoke a nice big chuck roast for pulled beef soon too.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
LMAJ

Make sure you devein and deseed the peppers before stuffing them unless you are a fan of the heat.
For those who can't handle the heat, substitute the tinly sweet peppers... yum...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
thomasjurisd
Full Fledged Farker

The first thing I ever smoked on my Weber Kettle was a brisket. Easy as cake. Keep it simple. Buy a packer and dust it with your favorite rub. Put a water pan in the middle filled with warm water or your favorite dark beer, dump a 3/4 chimney of coals on each side of the water pan. Once the kettle is up to temp (300), drop a handlful of pre-soaked wood chips on top of each pile of coals and drop your brisket on the grate. Cooking at about 300-350 (actually BBQing but it is difficult to keep a kettle low for long periods) you'll be done in about 8 hours (give or take an hour). You'll have to add five coals to each side every 2.5 to 3 hours to maintain the temp.

I did some of my best briskets this way and not as difficult as you would think!

Whatever you choose, good luck and don't be afraid to go for it, you've got to go big at some point, why not this weekend?

Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
ggeilman
is One Chatty Farker

I'd go for the brisket. Don't know about butts where you are but they are out of this world here. Could not find one to do this weekend. Have about everything else.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ditto on the butt and naked fatty. My advice to you, since you only cook on a kettle right now, would be to buy Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book by Chris Lilly.

Amazon.com: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book: Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint (9780307408112): Chris Lilly: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Wqe1szCIL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Wqe1szCIL

He cook almost all of the recipes on a kettle and provides detailed instructions and ingredient lists. You'll be putting out kick arse Q in no time.
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Speaking of stuffed jalapeños instead of cream cheese I used crab meat. Good alternative. I'm not fond of cream cheese but will eat it out of a jalapeño but would so crab meet stuffed oh my gosh...
ClintHTX is offline   Reply With Quote