MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default KCBS & KCBS Website

After being involved just a couple years with KCBS I sure have some mixed emotions on how I feel about the organization. I just went into their website and I logged in and went to my team page. They (KCBS) have removed team members from my team page who are not registered KCBS members. Now I had a little problem with them when they went to where only members could view the info, but to remove names from my listing of team mates goes a little far. After two years competing I still wonder what they do to promote BBQ. I checked into starting a competition recently and you would not beleive the KCBS Fees to sanction a contest. All I have seen they do is put out a newsletter every month.

I guess my jury is still out on the organization. I would like to be able to understand them better for sure.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Should be a good thread! :)
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Interesting....

cause my team is still listed and I haven't renewed by membership since Oct '08 or competed under that name since that time.

If I was competing again as the head cook and not helping Phil on his team or wanted to judge, I'd renew again. As a backyard cook, I don't see the benefits being worth my $35... I already have a RD card, get good hotel discounts from my company travel dept. and the Bullsheet is boring.

Focus is seems concentrated on signing up judges that drive the membership count and $, and expanding the contest aspect that will bring in sponsors. Nothing wrong with those goals but I'd like to see a little more emphasis on non-competitive aspects before to be more well balanced and cater to a wider audience.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Interesting....

cause my team is still listed and I haven't renewed by membership since Oct '08 or competed under that name since that time.

Without being a member how do you check because I have to log in to even look at those pages. It's not that big of a deal but I had five names on there as team members not counting mine, two of them are not KCBS Members and their names have been removed and only the three that are members are on there. Plus they have changed it where I can not add members to my team.

Plus you have it exactly correct I think. If the only benefit for me to be a member is to get the Bull Sheet and qualify to judge once or twice a year I will probably reconsider my membership when it come due in September.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogBack Mtn Comp BBQ Team View Post
Without being a member how do you check because I have to log in to even look at those pages. It's not that big of a deal but I had five names on there as team members not counting mine, two of them are not KCBS Members and their names have been removed and only the three that are members are on there. Plus they have changed it where I can not add members to my team.

Plus you have it exactly correct I think. If the only benefit for me to be a member is to get the Bull Sheet and qualify to judge once or twice a year I will probably reconsider my membership when it come due in September.

We my be talking two different things...

I'm referring to the Team Bio's section

http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php

Either way, if someone at KCBS edited the team members, I think that kinda sucks and a waste of KCBS resources.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Ok I logged out and can still get in there. I thought you had to be logged in to see it.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

As we only do 1 or 2 KCBS contests per year, and we don't have an RD anywhere close, I don't care for the Bullsheet, I am letting my membership run out.

If I see a real positive for smaller non-sanctioned comps to become sanctioned, I may reconsider.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

They removed all the members from my team that were not KCBS and one that was! Bullchit!
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
, I am letting my membership run out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeBBQueen View Post
They removed all the members from my team that were not KCBS and one that was!
So I have not been a member for 2 years.

I had to put the KCBS domain on my email Spam filter, cuz I get continual updates on new KCBS Gear, all that farking balloting chit, and even candidate crap from the Board.

So they got some electronic nut jockey deleting non-member teammates from your team profiles, but don't take the time of day to purge their own God Damn Email lists!!!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
So they got some electronic nut jockey deleting non-member teammates from your team profiles, but don't take the time of day to purge their own God Damn Email lists!!!
Doesn't make much sense to me either
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Seems like this thread would have been a good one to be in the "For the Board" section of the comp forum. Maybe one of the BOD members could shed a little light on things.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Divemaster

Quote:
They removed all the members from my team that were not KCBS and one that was! Bullchit!
So I just went to look at our bio and discovered that things had changes....

1) They changed the name of our team from 'Stockcar BBQ' to 'Stock Car B-B-Q'. I know that this doesn't seem like much but when I tell our sponsors to take a look at the bio and they can't find it, it's a problem to me.

2) They removed all the members of my team.

3) They cleared all of our bio information all the way down to our home town...

Thanks a lot KCBS...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
So I just went to look at our bio and discovered that things had changes....

1) They changed the name of our team from 'Stockcar BBQ' to 'Stock Car B-B-Q'. I know that this doesn't seem like much but when I tell our sponsors to take a look at the bio and they can't find it, it's a problem to me.

2) They removed all the members of my team.

3) They cleared all of our bio information all the way down to our home town...

Thanks a lot KCBS...
There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason...it is our info!! Are you a KCBS member Jeff? nevermind stupid question. Wrong! this is just wrong
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
Divemaster

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason...it is our info!! Are you a KCBS member Jeff? nevermind stupid question. Wrong! this is just wrong
Yes, it is our data, but it is their database... They are storing it.

If they had a problem with it being cleared, damaged, or some other way compramised it would have been nice to have passed that information on to the membership. Again, I guess it goes back to communication with the members....

As for being a member, yes I am. The fact that they have removed non-members from our team lists and yet have not cleaned up and removed the teams of non-members.

Like you said, it just doesn't make sense....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I just checked and they removed 3 non KCBS members of our team from the page. Why bother when the heading clearly says that they only list teams with at least one KCBS member. We do comply with that criteria.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote