MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

This looks awesome. Great work
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Keep 'em comin'. I love watching this stuff..

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

wow it is coming along great. I can't wait to see what it is going to look like when you get all finished.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good. I am not sure what else is next but you might think about increasing the bracing between the tank and the 3x5 tubing you have coming up though the floor. Also watch the weight. That steel tread plate is not light. You may end up needing another axle if you keep going with all the steel. Just food for thought. Looking great.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #20
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

looking awesome.....lots of wight there but I really like the way it's looking!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks everyone. I'm excited to see what it will look like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Looking good. I am not sure what else is next but you might think about increasing the bracing between the tank and the 3x5 tubing you have coming up though the floor. Also watch the weight. That steel tread plate is not light. You may end up needing another axle if you keep going with all the steel. Just food for thought. Looking great.
What did you mean by increasing the bracing between the tank and the tubing? A vertical increase? We calculated the heighth of the 2x4 supports in relation to the box/chamber opening. The firebox is recessed 4in below the flooring with the 2x4 supports. I'll tell you what the plan is so far. We are of course going to weld the tank to the 2x4 piping (there are two of these supports). We are also going to take a heavy-duty 5 1/2in bolt and fasten it to the frame inside of each tube. Our grease trap will also be fed through the 2x4 piping to keep it hidden. We are going to be building closed storage space up about 14-16in high (this will be butted up against the back of the chamber and on the smoke stack end). The chamber shouldn't move, roll, or otherwise. What are your thoughts?

Also, we have two axels on the trailer..it's just hard to tell because we only have 2 wheels on it right now. We'll be getting the wheels as soon as we need them (who knows when that will be). If anyone knows where to getem' cheap, let me know!Thought about electric breaks, but we don't think we'll really need them.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Last edited by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ; 02-27-2012 at 07:34 AM..
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #22
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice build, I too love this stuff!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post

i agree those 2 little rectangle tubes arent enough the side to side vibrations/wiggle will snap welds eventually, i would weld 2 uprights from frame to mid way up pipe on the back to reinforce and maybe the front also.
as for the double axle i didnt see it either in pics i must have missed it but u will prob need it, as long as your using a decent truck to pull you wont need brakes till 3000 lbs as long as your right foot behaves and you know how to drive with a trailer
I love build threads! keep going its looking great!
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

the black parts are what i was talking about or maybe a full/half moon brace front and rear
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:

Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #25
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank you. I may install something to aid in this..maybe miter some angle iron for each end. after the framing for my storage goes up all around the back of chamber, I don't think I'll need anything around the back. The front..might be a safe idea!

The axle is hard to see but the tandem fenders are there. they just arent pretty yet

EDIT: the back support you have in the diagram is about as high as my enclosed (soundly framed) storage will be all along that side. This is what I was planning to use for back support. What do you think?
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #26
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

yes the frame from the storage area behind the pit would work great if you weld the two together! either way looking awesome, subscribed!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dirts bbq View Post
yes the frame from the storage area behind the pit would work great if you weld the two together! either way looking awesome, subscribed!
I was thinking about tacking it. Thanks for the support. I love getting suggestions or affirmations..It really makes you think the whole process over. Hopefully, during the build, I won't miss anything with all the watchful eyes! You guys are great!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
unklechuckles19
Got Wood.

Looking good so far!
unklechuckles19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #29
rexbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Looks nice. I like that you have a trailer that gives you some space for storage.

Rex's Red Hot BBQ
[url]http://www.savoryreviews.com[/url]

KCBS & MABA Member
[B]Black Thermapen[/B] and Backup [B]Blue Thermapen[/B]!
BBQ Guru Shotgun Smoker, Traeger Lil Tex, Traeger Texas, Weber Performer, Weber OTS (X3), Weber Spirit (gasser)
rexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome, I love watching some good fabrication! Made for TV!

Tags
jambo clone, offset build, Offset smoker build, smoker build, smoker clone build