MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default UDS and heat diffuser?

So I did my first turkey today. It was a 12 lb bird. I got it to a breast temp of 165 to 170 degrees. I know 180 is what's recommended so I cut the breast open on one side and it is white and done all the way. Problem is is that the outside of the bird is getting rather well done. My wife made the comment that when she cooks chicken she doesn't use a thermometer. She just cuts it open and looks at the color. So we are just gonna eat it. I am sure we will all stay healthy lol.

My question is what if in the future I put a pizza pan or an old disc blade over my charcoal basket to block the direct heat? My basket is a heavy guage mesh on bottom and sides so air and heat would still get in and escape. I was thinking of just simply laying it right on top of the basket. The heat could still escape out the sides and warm the chamber of my drum and at the same time no direct heat of flames would come in contact with my meat thus charring the outside. Any ideas on this? I don't see any point in drilling more holes in my drum for diffuser support bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5905.jpg (60.3 KB, 468 views)
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I always use a perforated pizza pan on my basket. It has really made it better. Just try it, a pan is like $10.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I sit the diffuser right on top of the basket. Works fine.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

I am getting ready to build my first UDS, but there is nothing wrong with the color on that bird!!!! it looks great to me.. how Did it taste?that is the main question
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

I got a cheep ss colander and put it on the charcoal basket for a diffuser, works great

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4uweque View Post
I always use a perforated pizza pan on my basket. It has really made it better. Just try it, a pan is like $10.
Agreed same here.
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I use a diffuser, I use a pizza pan laid over the charcoal basket. I cover it with foil for easy cleaning. Also - I only take poultry to 165 in the thigh & the breast always seems to be just right.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyokie View Post
I am getting ready to build my first UDS, but there is nothing wrong with the color on that bird!!!! it looks great to me.. how Did it taste?that is the main question
It tasted awesome!! The butter, herb, and Coors beer injection just oozed out everywhere when I poked the bird. I had it rubbed down(both under the skin and on top) with a KC BBQ rub ,that I like to mix up, after the injecting was done. I was just afraid that if I left it in the UDS for the amount of time it would have taken to get the internal breast temp up the extra 15 degrees I may have really blackened my bird.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
When I use a diffuser, I use a pizza pan laid over the charcoal basket. I cover it with foil for easy cleaning. Also - I only take poultry to 165 in the thigh & the breast always seems to be just right.

Well then my breast was just that and the drumstick was over 180. I got one of those wireless bbq thermometers that tells me the meat temp while I am inside the house and I can select what kind of meat I am cooking. When you select chicken or turkey it auto sets the finish temp at 180.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
N8man
Babbling Farker

That bird looks righteous!!!
Nice Job!!! So, with that perfectly
cooked turkey under your belt,
why would you want a diffuser now, if I may ask?

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I use a terracotta pot base on a third rack to catch grease and diffuse the heat from the center.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
That bird looks righteous!!!
Nice Job!!! So, with that perfectly
cooked turkey under your belt,
why would you want a diffuser now, if I may ask?

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

It was something I contemplated cause I thought the outside was cooking too fast before the inside was done. But someone posted here saying 160-165 is fine for a temp. I was worried cause the breast, although done, was only around 165 degrees.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

It was something I contemplated cause I thought the outside was cooking too fast before the inside was done. But someone posted here saying 160-165 is fine for a temp. I was worried cause the breast, although done, was only around 165 degrees.
You did fine. Breast 160-165 thigh 180-185. Temp will rise a bit after you remove from the cooker and let rest.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

160 for breast 180 for thigh. Don't tie up the legs, and don't fill the cavity so much that it impedes air flow through inside of bird. This way it cooks evenly from the inside and outside.

If you have a hot spot in your cooker place dark meat closer to it and white meat farther away from it. Some people ice the breast down before cooking so it will cook slower than the dark meat too.

You can clip the wing tips before cooking, or just foil them at a point when they have the color you want. Foiling bottom of legs is also done for same reason.

Temps will rise a bit during the required rest period, and you'll have a perfect bird every time.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
jmoney7269
Banned

I had a diffuser, I liked it at first, but it sucks for higher temp cooks 300-350. Uses more fuel and didnt seem to cook any better. I got a 1/4 diffuser
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote