MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Lamb Lessons Learned

I de-boned and butterflied a nice leg of lamb yesterday. First time for that as well as tying with butcher's string. All that went well.

I lightly smoked it somewhat like the "Thrill of the Grill" grilling recipe. It was rubbed with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic, sage, basil, and rosemary. I used use the TRex method of searing very hot at first, then take it off to rest while I cool down the egg, then planned to put it back on until it hit 140 internal at 250 degrees. Ended up taking it off at 145 or so.

Here it is on the BGE with the uncut side up on direct heat -- I should have left more fat on and cooked it cut side up so the juices would have been retained better.

After Resting for 20 minutes

Sliced -- Notice that it was overcooked. It cooked to 145 in 2 1/2 hours which was about an hour earlier than I had calculated.

Braised winter veggies -- also over-cooked.

The flavor was excellent and the smell while cooking was out of this world.
Unfortunately, I had dinner guests and had to try to slow down the cook and hold it until they arrived.

I will do this again soon, cook with more fat, with the uncut side down and serve it when it is more rare.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

All said and done it looks great and as you stated it tasted great as well. Next time it will even be better. Great Eats!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I take mine off at 137 then let rest. Like it was said next time you'll nail it. Does look good though and I'm sure it was. Lamb is our favorite around here.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
landarc

It looks good, that timing thing is the trick, first time cooks always have that element of the unkown.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
"Sparky"
On the road to being a farker

Even overcooked,it still looks great from here
"Sparky" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

I'd hit that.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Pit Boss Honeycutt
Full Fledged Farker

Very Nice! Next time it is!

Old 01-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Jay Bird
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks really pretty. Nice to see lamb get its day in the sun.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I learned a lot, and think I can nail it next time.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
thirdeye

I personally think this was an excellent cook. Not so much because of the end result, but because of the things you learned. You now have a baseline to work from....

First off, grilling lamb is the best way (in my opinion) to serve it. Now you know the boundaries of doneness on that.

Lamb fat contains flavors, much stronger flavors than fat on other things, so realizing that you trimmed it a little close is a good thing. Leaving too much fat on can be overwhelming, so watch that too. Certain cuts, or older lamb have stronger fat. The most important thing is that you liked the flavor. Too many folks try to hide it.

Your seasonings are the same that I use. I do oil the meat before adding them. And I go heavy on garlic, even so far as studding it with slivers of garlic.

Since you are very close to the perfect lamb, I don't want to mention marinades, and I would recommend you stay off those for your next couple of cooks. Work with pulling the natural flavors out and enhancing them with a basic foundation of seasonings.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
BBQ Grail

I've got to concur with Thirdeye. Being able to recognize what mistakes you made is what it's all about.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

last time I had lamb it just knocked my socks off and I dream about it almost everynight and now this...chit, I gots to get me some mo lamb.

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

It looks tasty from here too!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I personally think this was an excellent cook. Not so much because of the end result, but because of the things you learned. You now have a baseline to work from....

First off, grilling lamb is the best way (in my opinion) to serve it. Now you know the boundaries of doneness on that.

Lamb fat contains flavors, much stronger flavors than fat on other things, so realizing that you trimmed it a little close is a good thing. Leaving too much fat on can be overwhelming, so watch that too. Certain cuts, or older lamb have stronger fat. The most important thing is that you liked the flavor. Too many folks try to hide it.

Your seasonings are the same that I use. I do oil the meat before adding them. And I go heavy on garlic, even so far as studding it with slivers of garlic.

Since you are very close to the perfect lamb, I don't want to mention marinades, and I would recommend you stay off those for your next couple of cooks. Work with pulling the natural flavors out and enhancing them with a basic foundation of seasonings.
Thanks for the input Wayne - very helpful.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Looks dang good to me.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote