MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Default Not Quite Kosher

Well I was inspired by a post by wmrrock http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=151731 … about an exclusively Kosher BBQ Comp that got me thinking about something that has been bugging me for a while now. I have some of the best neighbors you could ask for and we get together and cook and hang out like most neighbors do, however my next door neighbor is Jewish and is not into the pork. They are not strictly Kosher, but I have no idea what is considered acceptable that I could BBQ besides straight up beef. I know that I could just ask him, but I would like to do something unexpected for them because they deserve it. I also want for it to have a distinct BBQ “theme”.

I would love to hear some ideas that I could use for our next Q .
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Not sure how legit this is but a quick google search gave me this.... http://bbqjew.com/jewbecue/recipes/ although it deals with pork

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

The pastrami is on the list but that is usually not a weekend cook.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
Not sure how legit this is but a quick google search gave me this.... http://bbqjew.com/jewbecue/recipes/ although it deals with pork
Thanks, I will look through this.

I mean really, everyone cooked on fire 150 years ago so there must be some good recipes.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
Thanks, I will look through this.

I mean really, everyone cooked on fire 150 years ago so there must be some good recipes.

You would think so

Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Have you thought about chicken? How about beef ribs? I love smoked turkey.

If possible, you might want to get a new grate, so the food doesn't touch anything that has touched pork.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Have you thought about chicken? How about beef ribs? I love smoked turkey.

If possible, you might want to get a new grate, so the food doesn't touch anything that has touched pork.

Eric
Well he is not strict Kosher, so I don't think that a separate cooking grate is necessary. I was just looking for some traditional Jewish recipes that have been adapted to a BBQ theme. I know he would be happy with beef ribs or any other traditional non-pork BBQ, but I just wanted to try something a little different.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

This might be a good thing to look into. It's a dish called "tzimmes" (prnounced "simmus") and it's pretty dang good and might be interesting to adapt to BBQ, as brisket is involved. I haven't tried the particular recipe in the link, but just threw it in there as a starting point.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Serve calamari, sliced into rings. Then about halfway through the meal, say something like:
"Yeah, I met this guy through a friend. He's a kosher butcher or something. He gave this to me, said he always has a bunch left over from work. Said it's quite the delicacy where he comes from. Nice guy. Had a funny word for butcher, in Hebrew I guess. What was that word?.....Oh yeah, MOYLE!"
They'll LOVE that.
Or I guess you could just make a brisket. I've never met a Jew who'd turn down brisket.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post
Serve calamari, sliced into rings. Then about halfway through the meal, say something like:
"Yeah, I met this guy through a friend. He's a kosher butcher or something. He gave this to me, said he always has a bunch left over from work. Said it's quite the delicacy where he comes from. Nice guy. Had a funny word for butcher, in Hebrew I guess. What was that word?.....Oh yeah, MOYLE!"
They'll LOVE that.
Or I guess you could just make a brisket. I've never met a Jew who'd turn down brisket.
Be careful. Some "calamari" being sold is cut from Pork rectum.
http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guide...amari-20130118

Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
cameraman
Babbling Farker

A lot of Jews of a certain age grew up in Conservative homes that were not kosher but who shunned pork out of habit (except for the occasional rasher of bacon.) I think it wouldn't hurt to chat them up and see what they're comfortable with. I don't think there's anything mysterious or exotic here.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

You really need to ask and find out how strict they are. Some Jews require separate service plates for different food items. Others are extremely liberal. After my cousin's Bar Mitzvah, the rabbi organized the reception at Dinosaur BBQ for ribs. I think it also shows consideration to ask.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
You really need to ask and find out how strict they are. Some Jews require separate service plates for different food items. Others are extremely liberal. After my cousin's Bar Mitzvah, the rabbi organized the reception at Dinosaur BBQ for ribs. I think it also shows consideration to ask.
It shows consideration to ask if your guests have any eating restrictions. Harvard is Jewish, but avoids both pork and beef for doctor recommended health reasons. My parents don't change the main course when we come over, if their plan was to serve something other than fish or fowl. But they do make sure there are plenty of other sides that he can feast on, and he's very content with that.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

I work with a Jew who's had our brisket and loved it. And I believe it complies with what part of the animal it comes from. I doubt its strictly kosher,( I think that requires a certified kosher animal) but brisket is a common meal in many Jewish homes I believe
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
Bludawg

To be Kosher the animal has to be certified pure and blessed by a Rabi, it also has to do with the the way it is butchered. I used to raise Kosher Beef on contract. For the record I aint jewish.