MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Default Theoretical upscale BBQ/ Smokehouse menu items

What items would you include on the menu if you had an upscale restaurant?

If you had to worry about waste and inventory control while being upscale, what would you put on your menu?

My current ideas are obviously brisket, a nice ribeye, and prime rib appearing a regular special.

Some people might argue that this should go in the catering section, but I want to know what you geeks think and this is just theoretical any way.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

The problem is that our definition of BBQ and what the average consumer considers BBQ are vastly different.

While we enjoy the smoked meats ability to stand on it's own merit, the average consumer considers good BBQ to be in the sauce.

A local BBQ Restaurant opened up nearby and I took the family there, while they used fancy serving plates and upscale style decor, there was no smoke flavor to the meats. Brisket and Pulled Pork were cooked to perfection but lacked any slight hint of smoke altogether, as if they were cooked in the oven, and the side dishes were served cold. I thought this would be a better restaurant because he competes under the "Brethren" logo.

He has responded to my complaint so I will make another visit in the near future.

I've been to many BBQ restaurants only to be disappointed time after time and never return due to the disappointment.

We eat out 3 times a week and we have never chosen to return to any local BBQ Restaurant either informal or upscale. Seems like a tough sell to the multitude of consumers due to what they are prepared to expect.

Sadly the only BBQ I buy is from a few guys who set up in an old parking lots selling from their smokers and wrapping it in butcher paper. This type of vendor seems to be the only ones who appear to take pride in their cooking and end product.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 12-27-2012 at 12:55 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Point taken. I assure you that there will be a deep smoke in the brisket. I am originally from Dallas and remember the trips across town to Mesquite, to eat at a place that used to be notorious for all the right reasons.

I can not live up to that, but will try my damnedest.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

The Throwdown threads are loaded with ideas for "upscale" BBQ.
I am amazed at what folks create.

Might be some ideas there.

Good Luck!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Point taken. I assure you that there will be a deep smoke in the brisket. I am originally from Dallas and remember the trips across town to Mesquite, to eat at a place that used to be notorious for all the right reasons.

I can not live up to that, but will try my damnedest.
Sounds like your cooks are done with passion, too bad you were not closer, I could use a good BBQ restaurant to sit, relax, and enjoy a good meal. If you can't relax the food isn't as enjoyable, if the food isn't enjoyable you can't relax, it's a balancing act.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I see you are in Rogers.
Many years ago I lived in Bentonville.
In the recent years my Daughter and her family lived in Fayetteville for several years and we went there a couple of times per year.

It is amazing how the area has grown and how the apparent income level has increased over the years.
If I was "forced" to move, NW AR would be high on my list of places to go--love it there!

However, have you looked at the market for any "upscale" restaurant of any type?
My thoughts are that the area seems to be more of an "eating out" one as opposed to a "dining out" one.

Just some thoughts.

TIM

Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
I see you are in Rogers.
Many years ago I lived in Bentonville.
In the recent years my Daughter and her family lived in Fayetteville for several years and we went there a couple of times per year.

It is amazing how the area has grown and how the apparent income level has increased over the years.
If I was "forced" to move, NW AR would be high on my list of places to go--love it there!

However, have you looked at the market for any "upscale" restaurant of any type?
My thoughts are that the area seems to be more of an "eating out" one as opposed to a "dining out" one.

Just some thoughts.

TIM
Tim,

This area has grown and will continue to grow for the foreseeable future. You really need to check out the restaurant scene here in Bentonville now (where I am sitting as we type).

Crystal Bridges opened this year and the traffic here from New York and LA for business is huge now. This is not the place you left.

Here is a link to one of my faves (right off the square). http://www.tuskandtrotter.com/

He has to be a real Ruhlman fan. Jerk got a James Beard this year. J/k he is great guy and gave me a ribbon for my chili this year.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

You might want to check this out also

http://crystalbridges.org/

One of the largest endowments in the country.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I am really not surprised by the changes.
Like I said, I watched it change over the years.
Glad to see there is an upscale market developing.

Great area.

TIM

Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
What items would you include on the menu if you had an upscale restaurant?

If you had to worry about waste and inventory control while being upscale, what would you put on your menu?

My current ideas are obviously brisket, a nice ribeye, and prime rib appearing a regular special.

Some people might argue that this should go in the catering section, but I want to know what you geeks think and this is just theoretical any way.
Prime Rib might be ok, but a lot of eateries have it. You could add a twist by putting in a tri-tip. Done right, it'll go up against any filet (I'd argue it'd compete with a prime rib too!), and it's MUCH less expensive. Cooks relatively fast. Because they're smaller, and cook time is minimal, you have decent waste control. Not to mention they can be nursed back up to deliciousness after they've been refrigerated.

Brian

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Scallops take smoke well. Learn the art of Salmon. Tri-Tip is a nice steak to BBQ

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
deguerre

Backstrap.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

About 6 yrs ago I had the pleasure of eating at one of Weber's restuarants in the Chicago area. Food was good and the atmosphere was nice, not too fancy but not your usual q-joint either. Check out their NYE menu, this may give you some ideas. http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

A brisket Stroganoff, you can use the leftovers from the night before. Done right is awesome!!
I used to cook at the old King's table buffet, all the left over beef was used for stroganoff the next day, it was the most ate part of the buffet line.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia1 View Post
A brisket Stroganoff, you can use the leftovers from the night before. Done right is awesome!!
I used to cook at the old King's table buffet, all the left over beef was used for stroganoff the next day, it was the most ate part of the buffet line.
Great idea. When I worked as sous chef (a long time ago) I always used any left over prime rib for stroganoff for the staff. No one missed the day after prime rib. Even the front of the house who was notorious for skipping out.

Dang good idea. Thanks.