Snowy day in MI -- Good day to smoke salmon

smokinbadger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find about 10" of snow covering everything in sight, including my motley collection of cookers.

After spending two hours clearing the driveway, deck and sidewalks, I was in the mood for some smoked salmon. Fortunately, I had five filets sitting in Hi Mountain salmon brine since last night, so I rinsed them, dried them and put them on at 150F

After an hour at 150F, I raised the temp to 200F and took the filets up to 140F. Here's the final product:

The salmon was moist and flavorful. I'm going to give a few away as gifts this week.

Looks good badger. If you can't find anyone to give it to you can send some over here.

how do i get on your christmas list that looks great nothing like fresh smoked salmon

Looks awesome!

Think im going to do a batch this week as well.

Did you use the Minion brine recipe?

That looks soooo much better than the crap that was served at a party I went to on Saturday. The host went on and on about how pricey it was to get salmon of that quality, it tasted like it had some sort of petroleum based coating on it. I didn't have the heart to tell him he had gotten scr**ed...

That is a good thought.I think I will thaw some out for the upcoming weekendI think I may have 30-40#of fillets left.If you think its expensive to buy in the store try owning the boat and gear to go get it.But I guess I have never had a cheap hobby.Any one wants to go Salmon fishing get a hold off me come summer and we will see what we can do.:wink:

Attachments

• Green Cup 171 (Small).jpg
    Green Cup 171 (Small).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 34
Looks awesome!

Think im going to do a batch this week as well.

Did you use the Minion brine recipe?

No, I used the Hi Mountain Alaskan Salmon brine (with real maple sugar, according to the package). I'm pretty pleased with it.

Back