Learning curve - part 3; Brisket failure

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
In this report; will expose my weakness... Brisket (grumble, grumble grumble).
Humbly speaking... its the fault of the Cook, not the cooker. Have been having brisket troubles since day one... and have had only one success... and that was way back when using the BSKD.

Will detail every step or mistake
The cooker wasn't the problem.
Stickburning wasn't the problem (apple/oak).
Temp control wasn't the problem (two zones - 225/300)
The rub wasn't the problem.

1. Fired up the Klose to 225* (cold spot) - 300* hot spot.
2. Trimmed 14 lb. packer and rubbed with Bovine Bold/Salt lick mix.
3. Placed prepared brisket back in fridge for 1 hour.
4. After an hour, placed the brisket (fat cap up) in the vertical chamber (225) for 2 hours)
5. At the 2 hour mark... moved the brisket to the warmer 300* zone.
6. No foil, no baste, no pan, no flip during the cook.
7. Once the brisket reached the 170 mark (approx 6.5 hours later) stopped checking for temp.
(Checking for texture, density, tenderness using a probe from this point onward)
8. Rotated the brisket once (from the point facing the firebox) to the flat leading towards the firebox once the point was showing signs of getting tender.
8. Pulled off when both muscles were probing with minimal resistance.
9. Wrapped with double layer of foil, placed in pan, and wrapped and rested for an hour.

Results were mixed...nice smoke ring, predictable flavor, was slightly dry and not as tender as I hoped... the slices were not that plyable with soft bite thru texture.

Process of elimination might suggest not letting it ride long enough... not enough time.

Was shooting for brisket suitable for the ultimate cheesesteak concept.

Back to the drawing board.... again.

You will probably find me back studying the Funkmaster's own MOAB (Mother Of All Brisket) threads.

It"s because you went with fat cap up....:crazy:

Kidding.

I would skip the 2 hours at 225 and go straight to cooking at 300.

I'm confused about step 3.
Why did you put it back in the fridge for an hour?
I usually let mine sit on the counter for at least an hour before putting it on the cooker.

Only one other thing I don't understand (and maybe it's because I'm not familiar with cooking on a Klose) Why did you mess with it?

When cooking around 225-250 I watch the temp but, I've never opened the cooker before the 8 hr mark. I start to probe at 8 hrs. I've had them be done in 8 hrs & I've had them take 14, it depends on the piece of meat. Usually some where between 9 & 12.

I cook fat cap down & I don't move it, I don't flip it, I don't wrap it.

But, that's me, I'm sure others will chime in with their methods.

I think letting the meat come up closer to room temp a bit before putting it on will help. What people do once it's on the cooker varies wiiiiidely.
My belief is keeping the cooker closed makes a huge difference.

Good luck on the next go round.

Dry Brisket

Add moisture

Easiest way to Add Moisture: Wrap and add some broth

Life is too short to eat dry brisket

Why torture yourself? :-D

What grade of brisket was it? Select will dry out way easier.

A question - was the brisket the only thing in the cooker? You may not have had a lot of ambient moisture. I'll put a foil pan with water in it in the bottom of the chamber over by the firebox if I don't have a lot of stuff in the cooker.

Also - doesn't sound like a fail to me - sounds pretty dang close!

Last edited:
It"s because you went with fat cap up....:crazy:

Kidding.

I woulda said the same thing. :twisted:

sounds as if theres no fail but you are to particular about your brisket?

Maybe your feel for "tender" needs some tuning?

I see NOTHING wrong with your technique.

More expert folks than me have already chimed in, but I've had best success with briskets when I keep the temp the steadiest.

Lately I've been taking it to 185-190, then foiling it for another 10 degrees to get some au jus going. Mix the au jus with some BBQ sauce and let the sliced meat get happy before serving.

Chit, maybe I should learn how to count to ten first.

1. Fired up the Klose to 225* (cold spot) - 300* hot spot.
2. Trimmed 14 lb. packer and rubbed with Bovine Bold/Salt lick mix.
3. Placed prepared brisket back in fridge for 1 hour.
4. After an hour, placed the brisket (fat cap up) in the vertical chamber (225) for 2 hours)
5. At the 2 hour mark... moved the brisket to the warmer 300* zone.
6. No foil, no baste, no pan, no flip during the cook.
7. Once the brisket reached the 170 mark (approx 6.5 hours later) stopped checking for temp.
(Checking for texture, density, tenderness using a probe from this point onward)
8. Rotated the brisket once (from the point facing the firebox) to the flat leading towards the firebox once the point was showing signs of getting tender.
8. Pulled off when both muscles were probing with minimal resistance.
9. Wrapped with double layer of foil, placed in pan, and wrapped and rested for an hour.

My best brisket was injected and cooked hot & fast. I've done low & slow, both injected and no injection and everyone I've done low & slow came out dry. Chopped it up and made chili. Try injecting and cook hot & fast(325 degrees). Just watch for the amount of sugar as it can burn. I also wrap when I get the color I'm looking for and add about a half cup of broth when wrapping.

Back