My new trailer build is about to commence!!

Poppy65

Reaction score
So first off let me just say hello and thank you for all your help
In advance. I've been researching and rebuilding this thing over and over again in my head. Now that it's about to move to the building phase, I'd like to share my dimensions and see what you all think.

Main chamber 24x54
Firebox 24x24 square box (air gap insulation except for top)
Smoker cabinet 30x30x42 (air gap insulation) (5 racks, 7 in apart)
Warmer box on top of firebox 24x24x30 (3 racks)with damper to regulate smoke/heat for the days I don't wanna fire up the whole rig for a small cook.

Will be using it for a small restaurant/catering business and community events.

Thanks again!

Good deal. Be sure to take pics along the way and share them with the Brethren. Many of us, myself included, like to build smokers and trailers and such and we'd love to see it as you progress.

Looking forward to your progress! I can't build squat so always like hearing what others folks are making :grin:

I'm using Matt from Matt's BBQ Pits in Pipe Creek, Tx. After talking to a few builders and even a few of the big boys in Houston, I decided he was offering more bang for the buck. Here's a few pics of the guys work off his website. Even better looking in person.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 290
looks like some quality work.:thumb: congrats!

Congratulations on the new cooker!! Any idea when you will take delivery?

He says I should have it first week of February. I feel like a kid counting down for Christmas!!!

I know the feeling. I'm picking my Shirley up next Sunday. Just 9 more days. I'm going to be useless at work next week.

Poppy I know the smoker is the most important part of a comp trailer, but..

Take the time to plan it out so everything is balanced out for proper tongue weight and try to balance weight over the axle as best you can it can make or break a build.

I knew all the measurements of mine so I converted sq ft of material used to weight per sq foot to determine total trailer weight Then I balanced mine @ 60 up front and 40 in rear. Mine is balanced, pulls fine at 80 mph and I can lift it to put it on the trailer ball when loading.

I did place my wood box in front of cooker so I can add wood for more tongue weight if needed, like different truck heights. When the wood box is full I can not raise the trailer by hand and it darn sure not rolling off. Also don't cheap out on a coupler and safety chains and lights...been there and learned.

Good luck, be safe, and have a hell of a time with the build.

Back