MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #391
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmeatbbq View Post
I think TOY needs to be meaningful. It should also be meaningful for the teams that only cook 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 times. If a team can win the 15 and under and the overall, more props to them. By having something meaningful to chase, then maybe the teams that cook 2 or 3 will then want to cook 2 or 3 more and so forth to be in the running for the chase.

When the Board focuses on the membership, like they did in the beginning, then you will re-build the excitement that drove this organization to 20,000 members.
More mind reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fay
We already have the system in place to reward smaller cooking teams, we just need to implement it.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #392
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Michael,

Can you expand on this?

I propose a multi team (one Master Class and 3-4 Backyard teams) points chase where the team’s member ToY points are combined to create a Master/Backyard points competition throughout the year. Organizers would be brought in by siting the team groups together when possible to allow the Backyard teams easy access to their mentors within the rules.

Is this a proposal to allow backyard team points count in the overall like they would be in the Master Series?
manmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #393
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Michael,

Can you expand on this?

I propose a multi team (one Master Class and 3-4 Backyard teams) points chase where the team’s member ToY points are combined to create a Master/Backyard points competition throughout the year. Organizers would be brought in by siting the team groups together when possible to allow the Backyard teams easy access to their mentors within the rules.

Is this a proposal to allow backyard team points count in the overall like they would be in the Master Series?

No, this is more of a mentor type team chase where up and coming teams can cook alongside a mentor and have their scores combined in a separate points chase. We'd even go so far as to ask organizers to site these "teams" together It would be a separate competition.
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #394
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

If we don't keep membership growing, or at least from falling, the IT issues, judging issues, Board transparency issues, etc doesn't really matter. If the membership is excited, the demand for contests will be there. Albeit, we need to figure out how to make contests more profitable for the organizers, because I heard one organizer mention that they made more money from a bake sale they hosted than the contest they organized. All of our other issues are just noise until we figure out the membership dilemma.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #395
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
If we don't keep membership growing, or at least from falling, the IT issues, judging issues, Board transparency issues, etc doesn't really matter. If the membership is excited, the demand for contests will be there. Albeit, we need to figure out how to make contests more profitable for the organizers, because I heard one organizer mention that they made more money from a bake sale they hosted than the contest they organized. All of our other issues are just noise until we figure out the membership dilemma.
You are correct. Membership - specifically Cook membership is what drives this train. We need to retain current cooks and do our part to foster new cooks. We need to incentivize the low volume cook and work on wiping off the tarnish off the KCBS sanctioning brand to retain current cooks and bring more cooks into the KCBS fold.

As far as contests go, there are a number of ways to help them as long as they want to accept help. As long as they do we should be there to guide and assist them.
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
-----------------

Old 12-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #396
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
As far as contests go, there are a number of ways to help them as long as they want to accept help. As long as they do we should be there to guide and assist them.

SDP,
This is nearly 2020 and I am all about the pronouns :)

Preface: I've been here a while, was a CBJ for a short time but was not meet that commitment, so I need to ask.

This section of the forum has plenty of bitching of which contest went bad, what could have been done better, etc.

I highlighted the pronouns, but if one thinks of them all as "us" then shouldn't more skilled teams get into the "business" of hosting events in their local area and be the KCBS Rep for that contest?

The contestants know what the problems are, why aren't they also the Reps in their area?

Just curious, not picking on SDP

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #397
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

A part of the “Problem” has been created by well seasoned competitors who think they deserve to GC more than they do. And that’s just a high altitude observation...

Old 12-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #398
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTong View Post
A part of the “Problem” has been created by well seasoned competitors who think they deserve to GC more than they do. And that’s just a high altitude observation...
Guilty.

I really do deserve to win every time. Mr. Fay, how do you plan to fix that?

Old 12-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #399
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Guilty.

I really do deserve to win every time. Mr. Fay, how do you plan to fix that?

Ipecac
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
-----------------

Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #400
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Ipecac
I had to ask Google, but I think it’s a solid plan. You’ve earned at least one vote!

Old 12-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #401
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I had to Google it too. Then I had to think for a long time to come to the point where I think I understand. But then again...maybe I should just compete until it's no longer fun.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #402
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
I had to Google it too. Then I had to think for a long time to come to the point where I think I understand. But then again...maybe I should just compete until it's no longer fun.
It was a joke...............
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
-----------------

Old 12-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #403
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
It was a joke...............
Taken as such. No problems here.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #404
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTong View Post
Like high altitude as in lack of oxygen?

Old 01-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #405
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Go vote! The voting booth is open once you log in on the KCBS website. Just go to kcbs.us then login and then click on engagements. Voting takes just a few seconds once you know who you are voting for. Find the candidate(s) that represent what you want to see happen and go vote for them.

kcbs.us

Thanks from: --->

Tags
kcbs