Anyone Know A Good Com. Rub For

jacob

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
SMOKED WINGS I am not wanting to make them hot. I am after a good commericial rub or a Brother's homemade. Wanting to give them a peppery flavor without over doing it. I want to be able to serve them dry with a variety of dipping sauces,sugestions on sauces for the dipping is also welcome.
As always thany you for any and all help.
Bobby
BfL

SMOKED WINGS I am not wanting to make them hot. I am after a good commericial rub or a Brother's homemade. Wanting to give them a peppery flavor without over doing it. I want to be able to serve them dry with a variety of dipping sauces,sugestions on sauces for the dipping is also welcome.
As always thany you for any and all help.
Bobby
BfL

For what you are describing you want on wings, I really like Jim Goode's Beef rub. There are two kinds of pepper and also savory which is peppery. It is low salt and the sugar will give a little carmelization effect. The other spices are good on chicken. It has been posted on the internet for years and it is one of my "house rubs". I still make it exactly as-is with no personal tweaks. Of course I like it with beef, but generally mixed into ground beef for meatloaf or on burgers. My steak and brisket seasonings are quite simple like we discussed in those other recent threads. I also like it on lamb. I use the overnight dwell time after seasoning as suggested. Being low on salt it doesn't do any curing of the meat like a high salt rub could if left on that long.

Here it is:

Jim Goode's BBQ Beef Rub
"This beef rub is great for beef, pork and lamb. Once you mix the spices they'll keep about 4 months in an airtight jar. When ready to use, just rub into the meat, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate the night before grilling."
Jim Goode

Original recipe yield: 3 /4 cup.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
3/4 teaspoon ground savory
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
salt to taste

In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, paprika, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, bay leaves, coriander, savory, thyme, black pepper, white pepper, cumin, and salt. Store in an airtight jar at room temperature until ready to use.

I have to agree with Jordan on this,go with the Yardbird.

Thanks Brothers, I give a shout out to Todd to see about getting some ordered.

Plowboy's Yardbird rub or D-Dogs apple rub...both are excellent:biggrin:

The guys over at http://www.dizzypigbbq.com have some really great rubs. I've used the Swamp Venom and the Jamaican Firewalk on both grilled and smoked wings and was very impressed...

James.

Another vote for Plowboy's. I make my own and like it very much. Just decided to give Todd and Randy's a try. It was worth it.

I got some Plowboy's ordered. I didn't realize there were so many rubs out there. I'll try Todd's first and go from there. Thank's for all the good info and advice.

I decided to try 3 different rubs with each smoke, going to start with Plowboy's yard bird rub, d'dogs apple rub, and going to choose one from dizzy Pig's.
first cook should happen in about two weeks depending on arrival of orders, will post pic's and opinon's on results. Also plan to use the wing racks ordered from northern tool.
BfL
Bobby

Byrons Butt Rub is peppery(black).. Not a big fan, but thats becase its Black peppery. :)

My favorite on chicken is head country or plowboys yardbird. Just add cayenne if ya want a little heat.

Back