Advice on BGE Purchase

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have an opportunity to buy an XL BGE with cedar table (see pic below.) It is nearly brand new and has ZERO EGGcessories (platesetter, etc). Is it worth buying for $1,100? It is a 5 hour round trip drive to pick it up.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 10.15.50 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 10.15.50 AM.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 268
id offer 800, considering the drive. THey'll most likely counter with $1000 and you can settle on 900. Which is fair, but by no means a steal considering a 5 hour road trip. Fuel costs and personal time tally well over $200 in my book

Private seller? If so, no warranty. Just something to consider.

If you do get, let me know, I'm pretty much around the corner from the seller (okay, 20 minutes away).

Thanks Walker. That is a very good point about the warranty. I am thinking I will pass since the price is $1,100 and has no warranty. The table is what makes it a good deal but not worth it IMHO to have no warranty or eggcessories.

before completely forgetting about it throw out an absurd lowball offer, think $500 range, if he bites it's more than worth the drive and risk of no warranty. The xl egg and table like that is worth well over $1500

I'd say that is a decent price with the table. Though if I were him I wouldn't drop the price just because you have to drive far (since that isn't his issue in all honesty and probably won't have much issue selling it to someone closer) so don't expect that. But I would still try and offer around $800 to get him down maybe another $100-$150ish. You can low ball if you want, but I normally hang up on people that low ball me :razz:.

I'd be careful. I do not think it is that much of a deal especially given the fact of no warranty. I think the price of the XL egg went up, so its about $1,100 or so new. That includes the stainless steel grate, better dome thermo, etc plus warranty.

The table is nice, but is it a home made table, one from the BGE corporate office or another builder? Just curious as to the actual "value" of the table. If you are handy, you can build a table on your own pretty easily. Is the table worth losing the warranty plus some of the "older" egg features like the older grate, dome thermo, etc.

as others said, dont underestimate 5 hours of driving / gas costs. If you are getting an XL Egg + table, you'll likely need a pick up truck, do you have one, or do you need to rent a Uhaul or something? All small things to consider.

As others suggested, offer a lower amount.

I just saw an xl by me without the table but with a nest for 450. I'd argue him down. 1100 is steep.

Yea, I passed on the deal. Too far to be worth it for me. I am sure he will find a local buyer that will find more value in it.

Trumpstylz, Man, I sure hope you bought it or at least posted it here for another brother. That's a heck of a deal!

Like another poster said, the warranty is only for the original purchaser and the dealer keeps a record of same. I've owned my BGE for over ten years and the fire bowl cracked to the point I had to replace. Called the dealer and they verified ownership, ordered a replacement. I only had to pay shipping. Paying almost full price for a used egg without a warranty? That along with the 5 hour drive, to me is not worth it. Another question you might ask is do you need the XL ? The large is very adequate for most backyard cooks and small gatherings IMO. Not sure what your needs are but just offering my 2 cents. Good luck.

Like another poster said, the warranty is only for the original purchaser and the dealer keeps a record of same. I've owned my BGE for over ten years and the fire bowl cracked to the point I had to replace. Called the dealer and they verified ownership, ordered a replacement. I only had to pay shipping. Paying almost full price for a used egg without a warranty? That along with the 5 hour drive, to me is not worth it. Another question you might ask is do you need the XL ? The large is very adequate for most backyard cooks and small gatherings IMO. Not sure what your needs are but just offering my 2 cents. Good luck.

Thanks. I learned the hardway that when it comes to grills/smokers... buy the largest you can afford.

Thanks. I learned the hardway that when it comes to grills/smokers... buy the largest you can afford.

My wife actually demanded the XL when I went to purchase my BGE. I was all set to get the Large, convinced it was all I needed. She already wasn't real big on the idea of the BGE to begin with, but if that was what I had to have, she wanted to make sure it would work for us in all situations.

We entertain somewhat frequently, and it's not altogether uncommon for us to have anywhere from 15-30 people over. Well, like so many things, she was right. For us the XL was the way to go. Sometimes I wish it was even larger.

It's a bit more than we need for just our everyday family cooks, but having that extra capacity available when we need it, more than makes up for the extra added cost. Plus it enables me to have direct, and indirect zones on smaller cooks. All at once I can cook meat and the veggies and the bread and the...

Trust me, if you get an XL, you'll find a way to fill it up.

I should have caught that in your signature:shocked:. I guess I probably would have the Xl in my stable if they'd been out back then., come to think of it. Have you priced at your local hearth and fireplace dealer?

I considered the XL when I bought my Egg, but after talking to several who owned them, I decided to get a large and small Egg (the combo was only about $100 more and well worth it). It is more versatile and gives me the option to cook direct on one and indirect on the other at the same time. I know you can use a divider with the xl, but it isn't the same thing. I have the adjustable rig set up that Tom makes at the Ceramic Grill Store that has 3 tiers.(he has a ton of accessories for the large) I can easily smoke 6 butts in my large or 6 racks of ribs sitting flat in it. That is not a small cook.

I'm glad I didn't get a xl. I love my combo. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages. Just another option for you to consider from someone who was in your shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the combo is a really neat way to go if you can do it. I was doing well to talk the wife into 1 big green thing in the backyard, much less two! :) I can totally see adding a small or a mini someday.

I had the large/small combo, and I loved it. Traded the large for the XL, and it just got better. The XL/small combo is versatile in ways you might not imagine.

When it comes to party time, I will do a pork butt on the small, leaving the XL free for the apps and followed up by the chicken, burgers and dogs.

Last edited:
I have 2 larges and a mini. Went large, mini, large again. I heard the xl was a little too large and you burned your forearms reaching across the thing while doing quick grilling like burgers and dogs.

Back