MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Usage of the word Barbeque

Taken from the BBQ calendar I have on my desk:

"Barbecue" can mean a style of cooking, a way of eating, and what's being eaten; the word is used as a noun, verb, and adjective. To wit: I barbecue, my barbecued barbecue at a barbecue.

- Kelly Alexander, slate.com
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

"Way of eating" doesn't work for me. The other two are, unfortunately, too vague for me, but have become common usage.

To the point of usage, if no wood is involved it is not, and should not be allowed in any commercial venture to be called BBQ.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

I have always thought BBQ to be a style of cooking with wood. From that stems two types of BBQ direct and indirect. Well... And that's it lol. Never thought about it any farther. From what I understand the word barbeque is the result of merging of 3 nouns. Bar, beer, and Que. Started obviously in a bar with guys playing pool drinking cold beer. Cooking food over wood coals is medieval but they just came up with a cooler name.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

We're going to a barbecue this weekend.
I own a barbecue.
I barbecue most every weekend.
Lets go out for barbecue tonight.
They all work
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Big Portagee
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Or do you mean the difference between BBQ'ing and grilling?
Big Portagee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
From what I understand the word barbeque is the result of merging of 3 nouns. Bar, beer, and Que. Started obviously in a bar with guys playing pool drinking cold beer. Cooking food over wood coals is medieval but they just came up with a cooler name.
I've heard that too, but it turns out the word is MUCH older than that. From the Online Etymology Dictionary:

barbecue (n.) 1650s, "framework for grilling meat, fish, etc.," from American Spanish barbacoa, from Arawakan (Haiti) barbakoa "framework of sticks," the raised wooden structure the Indians used to either sleep on or cure meat. Sense of "outdoor meal of roasted meat or fish as a social entertainment" is from 1733; modern popular noun sense of "grill for cooking over an open fire" is from 1931.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

You need to get up to date on your calendar. That's from Jan 22! ;)

EDIT: Jan 21st was better: "All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat... I'm trying to impress people here, Lisa. You don't win friends with salad." -Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote