MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

Default Butchering tips tricks

I have been cooking Blade Roast (Chuckies to American Brethern) over apple wood on a gasser converted to stick burner for years....20+.... While they all turned out great there were some that were AWESOME.... and a few that fell bit short of great.

I always attributed these fluckuations to the gazzillionn variables we all know...Beef grade\cut included

Since finding this Forum coupla months ago Ive built a VERRY UDS and am blown away by temp control anf low consumption of charcoal.

There is a thread here somewhere where someone said to ask for a boneless chukie cut from the "rib end". Superstore here just happened to have em on sale so off I go ... find the oldest cutter there and ask for a 6-7 pounder from rib end.... he asked if Joe sent me...hehehe

Anyway....on the uds this was THE FARKEN BEST EVER...Soooo

I was wondering if anyone else can add to tips, trics or specs when buying\ ordering meat?...good, bad anf the ugly appreciated

r

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
swallytrip
Knows what a fatty is.

There is a lot of cuts of meat that people dont know about depending on what you are looking for. The old timers that cut know them all but you ocassionally run into us younger guys that have been taught right by some of the older guys. It really depends on what your looing for like everyone is saying with the chucks, the rib end of it is right next to...you guessed it the ribeye therefore it has a higher concentration of fat and more tender meat so therefore more flavor. If you look around or ask around about the occasional package of cheap steaks called chuck eye steaks although they dont look like much they are medium sized steaks cut from chuck that cant be stewed..also known as the poor mans delmonico or ribeye.They are very good just they usually have to be cooked with caution due to size and burning up quick with the fat in them. My cheap favorite is one called balltips or sizzler steaks depending on where you get them also called beef bottom butt sirloin, but this is actually a cap cut off of another cut called a peeled knuckle that is where sirloin tip roasts and steak come from. While in my opinion sirloin tip steak and roasts not only look like chit but taste like it as well the ball tip portion of it cut into a nice thick lean steak and cooked to medium is the closest thing you can get to top sirloin in taste as long as you dont overdue it. Depending on the size of the primal you can cut steaks that are a pound or higher usually with no problem. Ball tip is also on average where I work at in the low $3 a pound markbut changes with season. I hopwe this opend up a couple leads for you without knowing for sure what your looing for thats just a couple of the more common hidden treasures so to speak in the meat world. Grade of meat has a lot to do with it too. USDA choice or higher is all we sell ocassionally you can find something that is USDA prime but its a rareity because of the national US beef live stock less than a half of a percent is able to be graded USDA prime. Most is choice and select sometimes youll run along something that has no grade but it is really what they call USDA utility grade which is basically dairy cows that dont produce anymore and things like that. Hope this helps a little let me know if you think orf anything else id be happy to try and help.
swallytrip is offline   Reply With Quote