MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
GrillingCyrus
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Lightbulb Brand New at Qing. Need tips, tricks, advice, anything!

Alright so im brand new to the site and pretty muching to Qing. Just bought The Char-Griller Super Pro BBQ Grill for my parents and started it up a few days ago.

I read on a few sites about seasoning the grill so i threw the grates on the propane to remove the waxy crap and then hit the Char-Griller with my FIRST batch of charcoal.

I used some crappy match light stuff we bought since i didnt know the difference until reading a few sites. After around two hours i brought the grates over to the Char-Griller and started the Veg - oil bath. I did that for around an hour and had to head off for work.

Im currently looking for any tips, tricks, advice on anything i should do this point on. I dont have the sidebox for the grill yet but I have been thinking about purchasing it. I have never done any slow cooking or smoking so anything would really be helpful for a newbie like me!
GrillingCyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Welcome to the forum Cyrus! It sounds like you are off to a good start.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

You will enjoy. There is a ton of information about anything you want to grill and smoke. Start with the google search at the bottom for a specific technique. If you don't find it ask away. Everyone here gives tips freely. Just way too much info to put into 1 reply.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

sounds like you've done what you needed. you'll enjoy the CG super pro but i recommend getting the SFB and doing the modifications to the CG you'll find in this site. i have two CG and have had good luck with them. Welcome to the site and good luck.
Big_Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome Cyrus!

I agree with Cast Iron, start with the Google Search tool on the bottom of the page.

Interested in Pork Butts?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ar...p/t-41073.html

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=102893

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=90377

Back in October I was new, too. The folks on board have a TON of info and advice, quite a bit of it a simple search away.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

And read, read, read, and then read some more. since joiniing in March i have been reading all i can on this site. there is loads of info and a great bunch of guys and gals willing to assist. Again, welcome from another newbie and enjoy your BBQ journey.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pork shoulders are a great "starter" as they are pretty forgiving, but will definitely need low 'n' slow.

If you want something quicker and easier to start off, try your hand at chicken. Go and get a whole chicken, rub it up and cook away.

I could just go on and on and on with suggestions and use terminology that may not mean anything to you at this point. It's best to search, read and ask specifics. We're all more than willing to help out.

WELCOME!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Join the site and get privilege to view the recipe section. Start with chicken. it's cheap. Oh yeah, put your Chargriller on Craigslist and then buy a Weber kettle grill and a Weber Smokey Mountain. 22'' or 18 1/2" smoker:)
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

You already made a great leap forward by figuring out matchlight is a definite no-no
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

My Char-Griller is over 10 years old now, it's been thru hell and high water. I've never modified it much, just learned to deal with its disadvantages (mostly that it leaks air bad).

I'd highly recommend dropping the extra 100 and getting the off-set firebox. The learning process of cooking on a Char-griller in the off-set mode will set you on the Slow and Low path of good Q.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Tip #1: Sweet Blue Smoke
Tip #2: 250 Deg F.
Tip #3: It's done when it's done.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDoc View Post
Join the site and get privilege to view the recipe section. Start with chicken. it's cheap. Oh yeah, put your Chargriller on Craigslist and then buy a Weber kettle grill and a Weber Smokey Mountain. 22'' or 18 1/2" smoker:)
QDoc - touché, as you can see i use two CG's but i have to give you your prop's -- i got a good laugh reading your post.
i'm actually thinking of adding a WSM to the mix as i've always been a big Weber fan having gotten started in the wonderful world of BBQ with a 22" weber kettle. the CG's worked for me from a budget perspective when i got started and i've had good luck with them.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
frugalsob
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Alvin View Post
And read, read, read, and then read some more. since joiniing in March i have been reading all i can on this site. there is loads of info and a great bunch of guys and gals willing to assist. Again, welcome from another newbie and enjoy your BBQ journey.
+1 Couldn't agree more with this comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDoc View Post
Oh yeah, put your Chargriller on Craigslist and then buy a Weber kettle grill and a Weber Smokey Mountain. 22'' or 18 1/2" smoker:)
And Cyrus, don't give this comment the gratitude of a second thought.

Nice equipment is nice to have, but technique is where it's at. Whether is a budget build cooker or a Klose, good Q is good Q, and technique is what will get you there.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
frugalsob
On the road to being a farker

OH! And the biggest thing... DON'T be afraid to experiment!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalsob View Post
+1 Couldn't agree more with this comment!

And Cyrus, don't give this comment the gratitude of a second thought.

Nice equipment is nice to have, but technique is where it's at. Whether is a budget build cooker or a Klose, good Q is good Q, and technique is what will get you there.
Excuse me sob but Webers are not highend cookers. On the contrary they are very well made and with care should last a lifetime. They perform right out of the box without any additional modifications needed as do some of the less expensive cookers and of course the beloved UDS. I would wager if one factored in the time used to gather the supplies, assemble and paint, count your labor you would have invested much money in a home built cooker. But, my advise was not about money. It was about having fun and producing good bbq. I believe I wasted many hours first using a small offset and expended a lot of energy and quite frankly the product was not as consistant as I can can make on a more user friendly and fuel conserving cooker. I own an offset brinkman, several kettles, a couple of gassers, a Lang 84 and a FEC 100 and a UDS. But the ones I go to the most are the Webers. Also if you look around at contests you wont see too many small offsets.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote