MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

Default Butt Bust!!!

Threw a Pork Butt on on the WSM last night. Went to bed, woke up this morning and fire was completely out, and the Pork Butt was cold. Appears I didn't leave the bottom vents open enough to get air to the charcoal. All the charcoal was there, but it was out. Went ahead and smoked it anyway for practice controlling temps etc, and then proceded to take the meat directly from the grill to the "ash bag"

I doubt I am the 1st person this has happened too. The funny thing is that on my last two all night smokes, I had the temperature probes working and was waking up every two hours to check what the temperature of the meat. This time, I knew there was no way the Butt would be done until the afternoon, so I didn't even bother getting the temperature probes out.

I recently discovered my WSM was out of round, and I fixed it. The ironic part of all this is that I had learned all I had to do to keep 250 all night was to leave the top vent open and to close the bottom vents. Now that my smoker doesnt leak anymore, I can't leave those vents closed.

Guess I am still learning.
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

chit happens! i had a plan to cook some thighs today at a certain temperature and didn't put enough coals in the wsm to get the temp i wanted. ended up cooking it like i normally do which was ok, but not what i had in mind today. the best part is there is always a next time!
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sorry about your luck

My understanding was that an all nite cook required you to man the smoker......ALL NITE!!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Sorry about your luck

My understanding was that an all nite cook required you to man the smoker......ALL NITE!!
Man Bubba, who sneezed in your beer?

Just when you get used to the smoker you go and fix it. It happens. At least butts are cheap.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Jack Im sorry that things went south on the cook.
Your not the first person thats been afflicted with some bad luck.
Nor will you be the last for sure.
When im cooking an overnite I just stay up with the radio playing and a comfy chair.
Im sure your next cook will be much better since you are learning your equipment.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Chit happens.
Live and learn.
Truth be told I am pretty comfortable with my WSMs that I usually leave them unattended now. I still sleep on the couch, and let them run 6 hours or so unatteneded, mostly 'cuz I don't want the meat to overcook. Never had a fire go out though.
Better luck next time.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Jack2u2
is one Smokin' Farker

I use my drum, my Backwoods and my WSM. All pretty much set and forget. But, I still can't go all night w/o getting up and checking. Maybe it's ingrained in me after all these years. I know I can go to sleep reasonably sure everything will be OK, but.........

Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Magnum
Found some matches.

CJ - Similar situation here with the bullet. I just got mine recently but wondered how it could sustain a fire with the vents closed? Only way was leaking. Big challange to engineer a seal that will withstand the rigors of shipping I guess. Reformed it (in several ways) and put some silicone on the very bottom edge of the middle section where it meets the ash bowl. Much better now. See how long it lasts. Good luck.
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2u2 View Post
I use my drum, my Backwoods and my WSM. All pretty much set and forget. But, I still can't go all night w/o getting up and checking. Maybe it's ingrained in me after all these years. I know I can go to sleep reasonably sure everything will be OK, but.........
I"m right there with you...i don't care how "set it and forget it" it is, still need to watch it...Just ask Todd (Plowboy) what happened to his FE over this last weekend at the PHill contest....

Of course he obviously recovered...Be'ins they one the GC...

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
JimT
Full Fledged Farker