MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #16
LennyG
Knows what a fatty is.

UDS or PBC !!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
eddiek2000
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

It looks like weber has MAP? Can't find it any cheaper than $399 for the 22.5".
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #18
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyG View Post
UDS or PBC !!!!

Looks interesting. How easy is the temp regulation? Is a 30 gallon drum a good size?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek2000 View Post
Damn this place is busy. I really didn't expect so much traffic so quickly.
Welcome to your new obsession.

P.S. The 30 gallon drum is a bit small in width IMO. A lot of the PBC users do hanging cooks (pretty much the suggested way although you can use a rack as well). Personally, I prefer the 22.5 WSM or 55 gallon drum width if using a round cooker (full packer or full spare rack fits). I don't own one, but temp regulation is pretty much set it and forget it using the proper lighting method.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #20
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I agree with oldbill, BUT honestly the elcheapo offset smokers are probably the toughest to learn fire (and subsequently smoke) control on, to the point that I think they're a waste of money, time, and effort. I'm thinking either the pellet pooper or a Weber Smokey Mountain would serve you best; my preference being the WSM.

This from a guy with 2 reverse flow smokers, the best is my Lang 84 that if I ever sell it, it will be to get another one.
When it comes to the COSs there's a lot of junk out there for sure. If someone were to ask me about buying their first stick burner I'd recommend looking for a used quality custom built cooker on CL or look at a new one from LSG or Shirley with good thick steel and a good design. I wish that many years ago when I first got into cooking Q I could have started on a quality pit but there wasn't that many pit builders at the time to choose from (over 30 years ago) and I ended up with a box store "blue light special" that leaked like a sieve and was the source of many headaches!
I'll say one thing though, once you learn to use one of those things you can cook on ANYTHING!!! Going from a COS to a quality custom built pit is like going from a Ford Pinto to a Cadillac! LOL!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #21
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Welcome to your new obsession.

P.S. The 30 gallon drum is a bit small in width IMO. A lot of the PBC users do hanging cooks (pretty much the suggested way although you can use a rack as well). Personally, I prefer the 22.5 WSM or 55 gallon drum width if using a round cooker (full packer or full spare rack fits). I don't own one, but temp regulation is pretty much set it and forget it using the proper lighting method.

Thanks for the input. I guess I am leaning toward the WSM at the moment.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #22
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Lots of people build and sell UDS's. Check Craigslist in your area.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #23
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
When it comes to the COSs there's a lot of junk out there for sure. If someone were to ask me about buying their first stick burner I'd recommend looking for a used quality custom built cooker on CL or look at a new one from LSG or Shirley with good thick steel and a good design. I wish that many years ago when I first got into cooking Q I could have started on a quality pit but there wasn't that many pit builders at the time to choose from (over 30 years ago) and I ended up with a box store "blue light special" that leaked like a sieve and was the source of many headaches!
I'll say one thing though, once you learn to use one of those things you can cook on ANYTHING!!! Going from a COS to a quality custom built pit is like going from a Ford Pinto to a Cadillac! LOL!!!
I agree and I have owned both a COS and a nice offset. I have also owned a Pinto and a Cadillac. Nice comparison.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #24
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

I'd go WSM and learn the minion method. I've cooked tons of good Q on mine even doing overnighters without a temp controller. Sometimes the maverick will wake me up once and if I tweak it just right before bed it'll go all night without waking me.

That said...i'm itching for a stick burner.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #25
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
No problem. Although I don't currently have one, I ran a 22.5" WSM for years. It is a great cooker and extremely easy to manage. Probably the biggest difference between it and an electric in terms of ease of use is that there is still a real fire inside of it (in other words you can't completely ignore it). I think a temp control device is a bit of overkill with a WSM. Once you get used to it, you can dial it in pretty damn good. Throw a Maverick remote probe on the grate to watch for spikes and you are golden.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #26
LennyG
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Looks interesting. How easy is the temp regulation? Is a 30 gallon drum a good size?
They're pretty much set-and-forget, Mine runs steady around 250-260 in moderate weather. I hang everything except spatchcocked chicken, which I use the grate. Packer briskets should be on the smaller side, you can do 2 at a time. 10 racks of baby backs, chicken, turkey, butts, all no problem.

You can be up and running in no time after you unpack it. It's almost too easy.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #27
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
As far as the WSM, I guess it could be an option. I was really trying to be pretty much set and forget, hence the ease of electric.

Had to look the PartyQ up. Guess I could get the raspberrypi to handle it. I think I saw where you have to add some pipe and ball valves to the bottom to use the PQ?
You don't need another controller, the PartyQ *is* the controller. It has a temp sensor that goes in the pit, and you set the temp you want to hold on the screen.

It's set-and-forget for about 10-12 hours with a good charcoal that doesn't ash over (lump, KC, Stubbs, etc.). A pellet cooker is even more set and forget--those work like ovens. Just don't let the hopper get empty and you're golden. You just end up spending a little more.

I'm probably going to upgrade from a pair of 22" WSMs to a Yoder YS1500 for more cooking space, flexibility to grill or smoke, and real set-and-forget ease of use.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #28
thesemicullen
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
You don't need another controller, the PartyQ *is* the controller. It has a temp sensor that goes in the pit, and you set the temp you want to hold on the screen.

It's set-and-forget for about 10-12 hours with a good charcoal that doesn't ash over (lump, KC, Stubbs, etc.). A pellet cooker is even more set and forget--those work like ovens. Just don't let the hopper get empty and you're golden. You just end up spending a little more.

I'm probably going to upgrade from a pair of 22" WSMs to a Yoder YS1500 for more cooking space, flexibility to grill or smoke, and real set-and-forget ease of use.
Let me know when you want to get rid of one of those R2 units

Old 06-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #29
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I think that's a good choice for you as well! Going from electric to a WSM is one step closer to a stick burner.
It's kinda like getting hooked on drugs,.. you start with a couple of wine coolers or beers, which leads to weed and then the next thing you know you're sticking white powder up your nose, wondering what happened! LOL!!!
The dark side is calling you and we'll get you eventually! Wa-ha,ha!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #30
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

The wsm is fantastic, but if you're not sure whether or not you're gonna be into this AND you want set and forget ease I strongly suggest a pellet grill like the rec tec or yoder 640.

They are dead simple to use, give you a nice mild clean smoke and are more versatile in that they can be used as grills and will see use whether or not you decide you wanna do bbq anymore. To me this makes up the difference in price.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote