MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
eddiek2000
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Smoker Opinions and Options

I am trying to get into smoking. I had a brinkmann smoker many years ago. I never really had a good understanding of using it and which woods to use. needless to say we didn't use it much and it is long gone.

Fast forward to today and I want to try again. I want to use an electric smoker, but I really hate to drop $500+ on a Smokin-it #3 if this is not going to be something I am going to use semi-often. I like the looks, function, size of the #3. I was all set for the #2, but saw a video and it seemed VERY small.

I was looking at a Bradley, but you don't get a smoke ring. Then I saw the Masterbuilt smoker, but the reviews were really bad. Now I am just trying to figure out what to buy.

Then there is the PID option. I would like to build my own in the future out of a raspberryPi, but that is a thread for another day.

Any advice would be great.
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Are you married to electric? A WSM and a PartyQ will give you 95% automatic temperature control, and will cost you about $500. Or if you want to go more electric/automatic, consider a pellet fired smoker like a Traeger or Yoder. I think you'll end up with a better final product but still get the ease-of-use you're looking for. Plus a lot more folks use WSMs and pellet cookers than electrics.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I agree with Dave

I was always a electric or gas smoker until I tried wood/charcoal.

Once you learn the basics its real easy and the flavor cant be beat.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Maybe split the difference and go with a pellet pooper.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with above something easy to manage with charcoal like a WSM or Akorn or if you do not want wood or charcoal than gas..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Come to the dark side bro, get a stick burner and learn to make the best Q on the planet! It ain't EASY but once you get started you'll be hooked.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
thesemicullen
Full Fledged Farker

Another vote for a WSM. I've been using mine for almost a decade with no temp controllers. It's about as set and forget as you can get using charcoal/wood.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Come to the dark side bro, get a stick burner and learn to make the best Q on the planet! It ain't EASY but once you get started you'll be hooked.
Nice. Even I wouldn't try talking someone looking at an electric into using a stick burner (even though it is my weapon of choice).

Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I agree with oldbill, BUT honestly the elcheapo offset smokers are probably the toughest to learn fire (and subsequently smoke) control on, to the point that I think they're a waste of money, time, and effort. I'm thinking either the pellet pooper or a Weber Smokey Mountain would serve you best; my preference being the WSM.

This from a guy with 2 reverse flow smokers, the best is my Lang 84 that if I ever sell it, it will be to get another one.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
Are you married to electric? A WSM and a PartyQ will give you 95% automatic temperature control, and will cost you about $500. Or if you want to go more electric/automatic, consider a pellet fired smoker like a Traeger or Yoder. I think you'll end up with a better final product but still get the ease-of-use you're looking for. Plus a lot more folks use WSMs and pellet cookers than electrics.
As far as the WSM, I guess it could be an option. I was really trying to be pretty much set and forget, hence the ease of electric.

Had to look the PartyQ up. Guess I could get the raspberrypi to handle it. I think I saw where you have to add some pipe and ball valves to the bottom to use the PQ?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Since no one has said it yet (and I'm shocked they haven't)

Build a UDS

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I have to agree with the above... I started with a masterbuilt electric smoker. It produced what I thought was some great Q. Needless to say, once I tasted ribs off a UDS I never went back. Sold my masterbuilt and built a UDS and the rest is history. I think that people get caught up with the automation but, you can get that same result with not a lot of effort on a WSM, UDS or something like that. Also, the pellet smoker isn't a half bad idea, I just don't know if you'll get one that you'll be happy with as far as capacity with a $500 price range.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post

Build a UDS
YOU BEAT ME TO IT!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post

Build a UDS

Not at the moment. I don't need another project. It doesn't seem hard, but I don't have the time.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
eddiek2000

Damn this place is busy. I really didn't expect so much traffic so quickly.