chicken turn in box

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
can you put pulled chicken itn a turn in box, like pork, or must it be parts
thanks
phil

Yes, all meats can be presented pulled, chopped or sliced (or for chicken, parts) but it is risky as judges aren't used to it.

rookiedad said:
can you put pulled chicken itn a turn in box, like pork, or must it be parts
thanks
phil

You can put any chicken u want. Pulled, sliced, or Parts. As long as its discernable and enough for 6 portions. I dont think the 6 discernable portion rule applies to pulled meat. It obviously does not for pork. But it will be unusual, and thats not always a good thing to the judges.. may seem like your hiding something, Over cooked, bad skin, etc...

Havent had my coffe yet, so woul dhave to think if I would do this at a competition.

BTW, love pulled chicken, well sauced, on a soft bun.....

can ya tell i ddnt have breakfast yet either?. :redface:

While pulled is definetly allowed, I would think twice because very few submit chicken in this form and that could work against you.

i wouldnt do it.

May taste great, but its too unconventional. Maybe some large pieces of the tenderloins pulled into 2 or 3 slices, but that would have to some a$$-kickin chicken to stand on its own like that.

Judges will wonder... some may say.... taste like pork?

As others say it is legal KCBS but advise against it I have asked judges before and they have not recomended it for turn in. I have seen people turn in chicken legs and they look great when presented right I think I am going to start trying them. The thing I like best abou the legs is they are more uniform looking than the thighs.
Doug

okie dokie said:
As others say it is legal KCBS but advise against it I have asked judges before and they have not recomended it for turn in. I have seen people turn in chicken legs and they look great when presented right I think I am going to start trying them. The thing I like best abou the legs is they are more uniform looking than the thighs.
Doug

AND if you alternate the direction you put the legs in, eight will go in a turn-in box MUCH easier than 8 thighs will. I had to kinda slightly turn the thighs to the side and stair step 'em a bit with overlap to get eight in the box.

I have done it several ways, by far the easiest is legs and thighs, we cook both just in case.

As for pulled, tricky thing because I think it could cost you appearance, I have done a whole chicken then cut it up for presentation and did some fru fru arranging in the carton, that actually scored well but it was difficult because if you mess up the cuts you are out of luck.

I have had " Hit and Miss " results with useing Chicken breast turn in's. I have scored as high as 3rd place in a sanctioned contest and as low as 17th out of 26. When I do this , I use only Roasting Hens of 5 pounds or better . I use an injection of Butter infused with garlic , onoin and hickory salt. The injected butter will not melt until the breast temps reach the melting point, self basting the chicken. Turns out very juicy and tender but does not always thrill the judges who usually get everyone turning in thighs. It's a crap shoot ,but if you want to win, sometimes you have to push the envelope. I defineatly use this method on my Thanksgiving and Christmas Turkey!!

Back