MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

View Poll Results: Would you participate in KCBS Telephone Conference Board Meetings
Yes 28 70.00%
No 8 20.00%
I am not a member of KCBS 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Carol
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Telephone conference Calls

I want to thank everyone for the vote of confidence given to me, by electing me to the KCBS Board of Directors. 866 members or 43% of the voters said YES.

One of my election points was to make the Board of Directors meeting open to the members, not only to listen but to speak using the present telephone conference call system.

I have been told there is a small charge to use the system. So my question is would you pay the charge to listen and would you use the conference system to attend and listen or participate in a Kansas City Barbeque Society Board Meeting?

Again thank you for your votes and confidence.
Carol <><

Last edited by Carol; 02-02-2008 at 02:20 PM..
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Congrats Carol, I am glad you got elected!!

To answer your question, I would not pay to listen to BOD meetings. There are plenty of free or low cost options available that I dont feel I should have to pay. Another option is to webcast the BOD meetings, unless they are held in locations that dont have internet access.

Very good idea!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Carol, Thanks for taking the step to be on the BOD. You will do a fine job! I would pay to listen in! There are many things going on that I feel as a member should be made public. Contracts, Bylaws and Finance Reports should be printed monthly as other associations are that operated like we do. If this is to be a 501c4 then run it like one or change it to private and run it like you want. As a members based association there sure are alike of issues that seem to be run like it is a privately held company? That needs to change..............
Let me know how I can help?
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

I like the idea as long as the cost was reasonable. I'd also like the option of being able to call in to listen to a recorded replay if I was not available at the scheduled date/time.

Webcasts would also be a solid option.

I think it's a longshot though.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

I voted yes, but it would depend on how much the "small" charge is....

And what if there was an internet site available, with video and sound for members only... of course a log in name and password would be needed. Just a thought.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

While I voted yes, a lot would depend on the cost structure. Is it an 800 or similar toll free number?, is it a one time charge or charged by the minute? Things like that.

I will echo what Arlie said - if this is supposed to be a not-for-profit organization - 501c or whatever - They should have open board meetings, posted by-laws and financial statements. There seems to be way too much secrecy around all of this. While I did rejoin last fall, I will have to give it some thought this year if they continue to hide everything from the members. I have worked with a number of non-profit organizations and they always had this information available - I thought they had to by IRS regulations!!
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Congrats Carol, I am glad you got elected!!

To answer your question, I would not pay to listen to BOD meetings. There are plenty of free or low cost options available that I dont feel I should have to pay. Another option is to webcast the BOD meetings, unless they are held in locations that dont have internet access.

Very good idea!!

Why do I have to pay more money to listen to public information that im a paid member of, that im entitled to legally? Thats not going to fly.

Thats analogos of having to pay to hear what my county, state or federal goverment officials are discussing.

There is at least one expert in setting up this type of communication on a daily basis. Rather it be local or international teleconference calls here. I would love to hear his thoughts on your thoughts ref; this Carol.

I hope this all can be worked out in a reasonable manor very soon.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Carol
I feel with a change in the Presidency of the Board there is a chance to make the process more open to members.

I'm interested in seeing what effect you have on Merl!!! LOL

Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Why do I have to pay more money to listen to public information that im a paid member of, that im entitled to legally? Thats not going to fly.

Thats analogos of having to pay to hear what my county, state or federal goverment officials are discussing.

There is at least one expert in setting up this type of communication on a daily basis. Rather it be local or international teleconference calls here. I would love to hear his thoughts on your thoughts ref; this Carol.

I hope this all can be worked out in a reasonable manor very soon.

i think(specualting here) KCBS is using a 3rd party teleconference service.

somewhat like a partyline, but its is charged 'by the line', meaning each time another person connects, the charge is 8-10 dollars. So, if 10 people call in, its a $80-100 phone call. I think thats was a proposal a few years a go that was voted down.. the fee was the 'per line' fee. They may be tryiing to table that same idea again.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Carol - Another thought here,is that there ideally should be a very clear and specific agenda available 24-28 hrs beforehand for those potentially interested in calling in to determine if the topics the BOD is discussing are important enough to them from a time and cost perspective.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I think I'm in agreement with the majority here. I would be willing to pay but it would depend on the actual charge that would be accessed. Also, how about just making a post meeting pod cast available for others to listen to that could be obtained from the member website.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #12
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Having done this many times before for previous small companies and a non-profit org I was associated with, the webcast is simple enough with pretty standard equipment. I would have to say asking people to pay is kinda hard.

It doesn't take a really technically adept person to do it.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with the Webcast...All you really need is a computer, a pretty good webcam and internet connection...Depending on the software you could even create a podcast and post it on the website for others to see if they can't attend.

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

I also voted no, as a regular user of conference calls, sometimes with up to 15 people, it is not the best medium, IMHO. Instead a pod cast/mp3 cast/transcrition on the website, soemthing I can access at my convenience would be best for me. But that's me. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #15
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree with the podcast idea or webcast.

I see no reason that members need to "talk". If we have an issue we should go to a BOD member before and get it put on the agenda. If the BOD would like the person to explain his/her idea then they could supply a teleconference connection for that person for that subject.

I also agree with open meetings. If the BOD wants to have a closed meeting then they can but not as part of the general meeting. Executive sessions are generally held outside the meetings and are meant to be private. But all decisions should be made and voted on at a regular meeting.