brisket size??

T

tom9193

i almost have my new first u.d.s. smoker built complete my first cook i wanna go bells out and do my first brisket to.. my question is i have only 4 people to feed my local store has a butcher that will cut it up how ever i want , 10+ pounds of meat seems like WAY too much i was thinking of getting just the point or have the packer brisket cut in half so i get some of the flat and some of the point..any advice??

Your 10 liner will most likely shrink down to about 7lb brisket. Take leftovers, freeze.

It would probably be a challenge to find a whole packer under 10 or 11 pounds. My suggestion would be to get the packer, cut it right down the middle and freeze half for a later cook. That way you don't end up with so much left over and you can also look forward to another cook down the road!:wink:

Another thing you may want to consider is a future purchase of a vacuum sealer. I believe everyone who bbq's should own one.

I see an 8 or 9 pound packer every once in a while, but they are always really firm and the flat looks bad (really tapered). If your butcher will cut however you want, I would get him to remove a bit of the end of the flat until you get to the size you want. I am a point fan! Also, if he is already cutting (and not going to charge you any more) a nice fat trim will save you some money.

Every time I cook a brisket, no matter the size, it alwasy seems to disappear. And all of my briskets are dry.

Chili season is fast approaching. Always nice to have some brisky in the freezer....

Every time I cook a brisket, no matter the size, it alwasy seems to disappear. And all of my briskets are dry.

Chili season is fast approaching. Always nice to have some brisky in the freezer....

All are Dry? You are not cooking long enough or not resting it low enough.

10-11 lb whole packers about as small as I can find but the 12-13-15 lbrs have always turned out better. You can freeze cooked brisket-dont slice it- and reheat in pan in oven at 250 *with a little beef broth.

Freezing brisket is no big deal and makes for great leftovers. When slicing your brisket have a helper there so when you slice it they can mop some of the aujus on both pieces, the slice you took off and the exposed meat on the slab you are cutting from. Then do another slice and do the same thing. Then when you place it in a vacum bag add a little bit of the aujus and seal away. When you are feeling like a brisket sandwich thaw the meat in the fridge over night or in some warm water then microwave still sealed in the bag, but watch out for the bag ballooning, 30-45 seconds at a time turning the package over till hot. Finally open the bag and slap it on some bread, it will still be moist and tasty. If you dont coat each peice with the aujus you run the risk of it drying out very quickly by just being exposed to the air.

We also do the same with the point so we can have burnt end sandwiches as a quick meal. Same steps as above cube the point and add aujus to the pieces as you cut them. Then vacum seal with a some aujus in the bag. When ready to make burnt ends we thaw them in the fridge, add some more rub and put them in a small foil pan and smoke till done, then add some bbq sauce and let that set.

There are never too many left overs, its only two of us and we cook 12 lb briskets. That way it lasts since we cant be cooking every weekend.

Another thing you may want to consider is a future purchase of a vacuum sealer. I believe everyone who bbq's should own one.
I agree highly with this.

I'll also add that a friend recently completed his first cook on his new to him 22.5 WSM. He did a pork shoulder that was only a few pounds. :rolleyes: I asked him if it came from a piglet. :wink: It came out great except there was none left over. Learn from his mistake!

All are Dry? You are not cooking long enough or not resting it low enough.

10-11 lb whole packers about as small as I can find but the 12-13-15 lbrs have always turned out better. You can freeze cooked brisket-dont slice it- and reheat in pan in oven at 250 *with a little beef broth.

Yes, my much documented love/hate relationship with the fickle brisky mistress continues. Your thoughts are in line with many others here - not cooking it long enough! Still trying to get the feel for "probe-like-butter". Next time I will NOT undercook it. I will not undercook it. I will not undercook it....

Now, back to the original show. :biggrin1:

10 lb packer after trimming will be around 8.5 lbs. Then shrinkage during cooking will get you about 5-6 lbs of finished product. I know people who could eat all of that by them selves in 3 days. So having a little leftover meat shouldn't be a big deal.

10 lb packer after trimming will be around 8.5 lbs. Then shrinkage during cooking will get you about 5-6 lbs of finished product. I know people who could eat all of that by them selves in 3 days. So having a little leftover meat shouldn't be a big deal.

3 Days. :loco: I could eat all of that by myself in 3 hours.

I'll eat a 10 lb brisket in a weekend by myself but I'm a big boy with lots of practice. I can't remember the last time I cooked a peice of meat that ever survived long enough to make it to the freezer. That’s almost sacrilegious around my place.

Just get the packer and go for it!!!!
Don't be skeert, it'll all be gone before you know it!

Back