Indian Shenanigans on the High Plains - w/ Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Happy Saturday, folks!

I've had a serious hankering for Indian fare, and today's the day I work to quench that thirst.

First, I marinate the chicken tikka for a few hours:

Tikka Marinade
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-tikka-109308
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin (toasted, if you can)
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander (toasted, if you can)
- 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic from a jar
- 1-1.5 Tbsp minced ginger from a jar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 3/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala (It's worth it to get good quality or grind your own)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Glug or two of oil (EVOO, Avocado, Vegetable... whatever you have handy)

iI1ecqNh.jpg

Better get those thighs on the kettle with the vortex!

2T9Wjivh.jpg

Today, we're also trying some "chapli kebabs" (recipe link)

7D2ILzoh.jpg

24DoFOhh.jpg

Time to get some coriander chutney working... (recipe link)

Completely forgot to grab a jalapeño, but CINCHOUSE reminded me of a small can of Hot Hatch Green Chiles in the cabinet!

Rx9qkQLh.jpg

nt6udwah.jpg

Time to pull the chicken off, cook the chaplis, and then cook the CTM masala.

More to come!

I have to say, not one time in my entire life have I ever uttered the phrase "You know, I'm seriously wanting some Indian food right about now".

I am such a piker when it comes to food. So many things I've never tried, or , never had a good experience with. My loss I'm sure

I'm bookmarking another one of yer threads, Marc! :hungry: Your cooks are great guides for bringing in new dishes. I love the classics, but it's good to keep things interesting, not to mention delicious.

All this looks promising - looking forward to the updates!

Hope you're having a great weekend over there - a good lazy one here.

I have to say, not one time in my entire life have I ever uttered the phrase "You know, I'm seriously wanting some Indian food right about now".

For YEARS, I'd never had Indian... until we took a leap of faith when we lived in Germany. I've never looked back. Then, we found ourselves in the UK... were "an Indian" is hugely important.

I highly suggest you give this chicken tikka a shot... it's just thighs with some simple spices, and it works with all sorts of things. Who knows? Maybe that'll be a starting point for adventures to come.

I'm bookmarking another one of yer threads, Marc!
Hope you're having a great weekend over there - a good lazy one here.

It's been a busy day here - took the munchkin to "Kids Gone Wild" and let her run and play among all sorts of inflatable contraptions I've never seen before... obstacle courses... big-arsed slides... great stuff.

This afternoon's been a great creative opportunity.

Tonight promises to be delicious...

Ghee in the pan.

d7As64Qh.jpg

Cook down some finely chopped onion, then add some curry paste.

V0xsL9Xh.jpg

Add some diced tomatoes... then some minced garlic and minced ginger.

zqd8Oh8h.jpg

Chop up the cooled chicken tikka, and add it to the party.

70uy8Vlh.jpg

The BossLady's Sag Aloo looks great!

YAmJAOxh.jpg

The Chapli Kebabs were quite a different experience / experiment - Decided to cook them in the skillet... and they didn't hold together as well as I'd like... and they dried out a touch.

n6WgInDh.jpg

The flavor is most excellent, and I really look forward to the combined effect on the plate.

F2iW3tSh.jpg

Raita... good, but becomes amazing with the addition of some fresh mint!

rWIywLth.jpg

'Bout time to eat. Back in a while.

You certainly cook some interesting and labor intensive dishes. They ALWAYS turn out pretty freakin' awesome! Keep it up!!

Oh, mama.... that was dee-licious.

NYAve04h.jpg

Those chapli kebabs and the coriander/cilantro chutney were the "new kids in town," so they received the most attention.... and they ROCKED. The kebabs were little flavor bombs that I can't wait to make again!

CINCHOUSE proclaimed that this is the "new normal" for an Indian night.

Y'all have a wonderful Saturday! Lord knows we're enjoying ours.

Looks delicious! I love me some indian food, dont make it often myself...hit up a lunch buffet every now and then when i go to the big town. Did you make the naan? Or find a pre made package?

Well played, fellas. That was some serious "class," Adams. :wink:

Did you make the naan? Or find a pre made package?

I wish that I could say, "Yes." No, it's a package from the grocery.

I honestly haven't had naan bread nearly as good as those cooked in the tandoor at Indira Indian in Okinawa.

Would LOVE to learn how to do this at home.

Now that's a plate! :whoo: I love finishing a meal like that and having the flavors mingle and linger for a while. Very good stuff right there!

Back