Sausage recipe

dr13900

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for homemade sausage. I would like an Italian sausage and a breakfast sausage recipe. Thanks.

Well, you played right into my hand on this one.... Here are ones I really like. the last one with the cheese is a real sleeper recipe. Parmesan cheese is loaded with natural glutamates, that's why we like it so much. Anyways when used in sausage it does just what glutamate's are supposed to, make everything taste better. The real name for this taste is umami.... I just call it goooood. Oh yeah, the wine doesen't hurt either. (and because of the cheese and wine.... chicks dig this sausage)

FARM SAUSAGE

Unknown source on this one. Wonderful stuffed, in bulk or packaged for fatties. This has the classic flavors of a Midwest breakfast sausage but it is also right at home served on a bun or as a main dish with fried potatoes and onions.

3 lbs. ground pork butt
2 teaspoons ground sage
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
¼ cup ice cold water

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend.

Hot Italian (10 lb. recipe)

I honestly can't recall the source for this one either. My copy was hand-written before preparing to post it here. This is my standard Italian sausage. I package some in bulk for spaghetti sauce, pizza toppings and sausage sandwiches. The remainder is stuffed into casings or packaged for fatties.

10 lb. pork butts (trim some of the fat)
1T cracked black pepper
3T kosher salt
5 t fennel seed
2 1/2 T crushed red peppers
½ C minced garlic
1 ¼ t thyme
1 ½ t crushed bay leaf
1 ½ t nutmeg
1 ½ t coriander
6 t sweet paprika
1 ½ C ice cold water

Coarse grind the pork, blend all ingredients, chill for several hours or overnight, then stuff.

Sicilian Italian with Wine & Cheese (10 lb. recipe)
R. Kutas

This is a particular favorite of my friend Tom. I don't think I have ever seen him make less than a 20 pound batch of it. This is a teaser recipe that comes from the Rytek Kutas book titled Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. If you are serious about sausage making, you need this book in your library. The Ingredient Store carries it along with many supplies.

8 lb. pork butts
2 lb. lean beef (I omit the beef & add 2 more lb. or butt)
2T powdered dextrose (fine sugar will work, dextrose is less sweet)
1T cracked black pepper
4T kosher salt
3 t fennel seed
2 T crushed red peppers
2 C ice cold Pinot Grigio
6T good romano cheese, crumbled (I bump this amt. to 10 T)

Coarse grind the pork, blend all ingredients, chill for several hours or overnight, then stuff.

I have made the farm sausge using Wayne's recipe a couple of times. Really good and one we keep around all the time.

I got Kutas' book in the mail yesterday and I like that wine & cheese recipe. I don't think we have any white Pinot on hand, or Romano for that matter, but I believe we'll try a substitution or two. The flavor profile will change slightly but should still be good. I was thinking of doing that tonight but I haven't even cleaned the grinder of its factory grease and whatnot. Tomorrow!

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to try one of these next week. This website is a wealth of knowledge and people who are willing to help. Thanks to all

Check out Len Poli's web site. He has hundreds of recipies and they work.

First timer sausage making

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I've always had an interest in making my own sausage. I started by reading many of the good sausage making web sites out there. I then bought a Kitchener #12 meat grinder from Northern Tool and a LEM 5 pound sausage stuffer. Next was a recipe. I wanted to do something main stream so searching on BBQ Brethren I came up with this thread. I bought a nice 8 pound pork butt and ground it up with the medium plate. As for the recipe, I tried Thirdeyes farm sausage recipe. I stuffed the sausage then let it rest in the refrigerator overnight. I then smoke/cooked it at 225 degrees the next day. I must tell you it came out AWESOME ! Everyone is just loving it. Thanks Thirdeye for your great recipe !!

Did this spicy italian this morning. Nom.

per 1 lb of ground pork:
3.2 tbsp red wine
3.2 tbsp fresh parsley (or 3 tsp dry)
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic
.6 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tbsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp crushed chili
1 tbsp paprika

Smoked Beef Sausage - Lockhart Texas Style

Anyone have a good Texas sausage recipe?

5 pounds ground chuck
1 pound ground pork
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cayenne to taste
Sausage casings

Mix all ingredients. Then stuff the casings to make sausages about 6" long.
Put them in the firdge to let the casings dry a bit (overnight is best). Cook at 235°F until the internal temp reaches 160°F (roughly an hour). Enjoy!

Back